SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bearing race is metal to metal, eventhough they are teflon coated.

Question for those that have them. Are they noisy?

Too many creaks, rattles, and noises in most "R's" now.

Is the trade off worth it?

Will these help them stay quiet? Link compliments of Jim Lill!!!!!

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/...t.htm

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Re: QBM X-Treme Performance End Link, Noisy? (speedemon)

well i have the new ipd sways and i figured the little play i have are the bushings rocking in teh end links. so im planning on purchasing these. but i dont think, they should rattle the ball and eye are in a tight fit.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: QBM X-Treme Performance End Link, Noisy? (p0cket penguins)

Yap, but my understanding is that after a while the "metal to metal" makes a squeeking sound, even going straight down a smooth flat road.

I have the ipd track spec sways and hope to upgrade to something!!

Anyone have an input

·
Registered
345 Posts

When making very tight turns inside the parking garage, I can hear a noise when the sways are loading and unloading from side to side in the rear.

Otherwise, the Links are quiet. I have the ipd sways and HEICO springs.

For comparison, the 2-pc evolve full-floating rotors make more noise than the end links.

I'll put on the end link seals (thanks Jim) at the next tech inspection.

Billy

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

Quote, originally posted by speedemon »
Yap, but my understanding is that after a while the "metal to metal" makes a squeeking sound, even going straight down a smooth flat road.

I have the ipd track spec sways and hope to upgrade to something!!

Anyone have an input

ipd sells 20% stiffer links (12mm versus 10mm) that improve steering feel and cost half the price of the QBM ones. I just put them in and I'm very satisfied. Did you ever get a chance to drive KVBs in Germany?

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Re: QBM X-Treme Performance End Link, Noisy? ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »

ipd sells 20% stiffer links (12mm versus 10mm) that improve steering feel and cost half the price of the QBM ones. I just put them in and I'm very satisfied. Did you ever get a chance to drive KVBs in Germany?

Something to consider:
The ipd end links are nothing more than replacement end links that are slightly thicker than stock. They still suffer from an inferior ball joint design (vs QBM's rod ends), and will still wear down over time and require replacement.

A rod end will last much longer than a ball joint, and will exhibit a greater angle range of swivel; this will be especially important for cars with lowering springs where the ball joint will operate at extreme angles beyond its normal range. The rod end has a much greater range of travel compared to the ball joint.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: QBM X-Treme Performance End Link, Noisy? (George @ ViVA)

Quote, originally posted by George @ ViVA »
Something to consider:
The ipd end links are nothing more than replacement end links that are slightly thicker than stock. They still suffer from an inferior ball joint design (vs QBM's rod ends), and will still wear down over time and require replacement.

A rod end will last much longer than a ball joint, and will exhibit a greater angle range of swivel; this will be especially important for cars with lowering springs where the ball joint will operate at extreme angles beyond its normal range. The rod end has a much greater range of travel compared to the ball joint.

Hence the much greater cost. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about the IPD ball joints wearing out, I see a 2009 335i or G35 coupe in my future. Or maybe a JCW Mini Cooper convertible. Or a C70 if they get serious and drop the R engine in it.

Thanks for the information, potential buyers now can make a more informed decision. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,720 Posts

never heard a noise from mine...had them for about 9 months now...in just about all conditions

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
on a car already equipped with springs/sway bars...what kind of change or improvement in handling/steering/etc would one notice by adding these heavy duty end links?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
on a car already equipped with springs/sway bars...what kind of change or improvement in handling/steering/etc would one notice by adding these heavy duty end links?
I wouldn't think so.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Re: QBM X-Treme Performance End Link, Noisy? ("R" Kelly)

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »

Hence the much greater cost. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about the IPD ball joints wearing out

The QBM links are adjustable for track days, the OEM and IPD links are not. The QBM links are defintely overkill for the street, and will most likely last longer than the car. Just my 0.02.
Billy

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

The stock endlinks are prone to wear, and play in a swaybar link leads to loose response. The QBM is bulletproof in this regard.

Also, they are adjustable, so you can tune out any left/right bias from a slightly uneven bar or spring. Or, if you're tracking you can preload to one side or the other to tweak the car's response for the direction and angles of the course.

Total overkill, but really cool.

Tom.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Re: (tmtalpey)

Quote, originally posted by tmtalpey »
The stock endlinks are prone to wear, and play in a swaybar link leads to loose response. The QBM is bulletproof in this regard.

Also, they are adjustable, so you can tune out any left/right bias from a slightly uneven bar or spring. Or, if you're tracking you can preload to one side or the other to tweak the car's response for the direction and angles of the course.

Total overkill, but really cool.

Tom.

But that actually DOESN'T work with the IPD sways as they are free floating in their bushings, unlike the stock one which is stuck in the rubber. Preloading just one side really wouldn't do anything on the IPDs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: (cschmelz)

Quote, originally posted by cschmelz »

But that actually DOESN'T work with the IPD sways as they are free floating in their bushings, unlike the stock one which is stuck in the rubber. Preloading just one side really wouldn't do anything on the IPDs.

Is that so??
Is there anyone who install IPD swaybar along with QBM endlinks??
I was thinking about getting these goodies, but if cschmelz is right, I shouldn't get QBM endlinks.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Re: (singermj)

i will soon im getting my endlings from viva this weekend at swedish car day. i have the sways and qbm strut brace and top large and small engine bushing ill report back. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
52 Posts
Re: (p0cket penguins)

Quote, originally posted by p0cket penguins »
i will soon im getting my endlings from viva this weekend at swedish car day. i have the sways and qbm strut brace and top large and small engine bushing ill report back. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Thank you.
Please do.. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
906 Posts
Re: (jdog)

Got the car back, haven't had a lot of time to drive, but it definitely feels tighter. I can take turns at higher speed without dreading rear hop. It almost seems stiffer. Sport currently feels in between the what sport and advanced used to. I didn't change the springs, so I don't know if this makes sense. Maybe due to the reduced body roll...

Oh, and no noise from the rear so far.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts