SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to you all. Is there an automatic Transmission that would fit a B18 motor for a PV544. My wife wants a PV544 badly, but she doesn't like stick shift. Any help would be helpful!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Question to you all. Is there an automatic Transmission that would fit a B18 motor for a PV544. My wife wants a PV544 badly, but she doesn't like stick shift. Any help would be helpful!
Welcome to Swedespeed, Jeffrey.

Along with a 4-speed/OD auto trans in her 544 she will also be pleased with the 2013 'Vette crate motor with 450+hp.

Yes, the B18D PV544 USA version with 12v system will accept the Borg-Warner Type 35 auto trans with mods to the tunnel. If a column-shift is desired the mods become a bit more extensive.

The T-35 is not very popular with the performance crowd as it makes a slow car slower along with poor mpg. Other auto trans options are available but require more mods.

My wife is also auto-only which is why we no longer have any (stick-shift) Volvos in the family.

Best bet here may be to shop for a 544 already setup with an auto trans and ready to drive.

Let's go shopping!

George Dill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PV 544 B18 Manual to Automatice Transmission swap

Is there any modifications needed to change the manual to a BM35? I would appreciate the help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I build cars, trucks and motorcycle so modifications is not an issue. What would be a better tranny swap? I was thinking of a 302 Boss with a C6, but I found a great PV544 with a highly modified B18 and would like to stay with this motor.
Jeff

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Is there any modifications needed to change the manual to a BM35? I would appreciate the help

Bell housing/starter mods.
Tunnel mods.
Crossmember mods.
Shifter mods (floor to column shift).
Reverse lights mods.
Driveshaft mods.
Trans mount mods.
M35 output shaft mods.

Might be easier to mod the - never mind.

George Dill

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I realize that this is fighting against the tide, but a 544 with a good 3 or 4 speed tranny is probably the easiest stick shift to learn in and VERY forgiving, so if she is at ALL willing to try it I would bet that within a week she would love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts