SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my 1956 PV444's needs most of an exhaust system. The car had been previously converted to a B18, so the manifold flange location and angle are different from stock. The 444 has only the single rear muffler, normally.

The 544 system for the 60's B18 models seems like it would mainly fit, but that system has a long, skinny front muffler that runs under the passenger-side floor, and hangs a bit differently.

Would I be able to use a 544 system to bolt up to the B18 in my 444? Or should I consider fabricating at least the front pipes?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Hey Tom,

My 444 has a different exhaust than the stock 44 system (PO put it on a looooooong time ago). It had the big muffler behind the rear bumper (I removed this and ran straight pipe out the passenger side rear) and an oval muffler under the passenger floor board (still there). It's at least 3" high and about 8" wide, not sure how long, but it fits under there with no problem. You may have to figure something out with the hangers, if they truly are different.

Fabbing pipes seems pretty easy, though. It's small diameter pipe, which should be easy for any basic exhaust shop to work with.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, cool, maybe I can check it out at SCD this weekend. Sounds a bit like the stock early 544 system, which also mated to the B16 exhaust manifold. Exhaust front pipe is different for B18 but back section is similar.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Tony, you passed up a sure People's Choice win yesterday, there were no 444's, no Duetts and only a single 544 in the whole 3-way category. :facepalm:

Anyway, I checked the 544 which had a plain pipe and no front muffler, I didn't see anything too challenging with the approach on a 444. Beyond hanging it, my main concern with a B18 application is the loss of extra muffling, but it seems minimal after seeing the one yesterday.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I was there in my XC70, but did kick myself for not bringing the 444 after seeing the "competition". Too much rain in the AM when I was leaving my house, and it was running a bit sputtery due to the moisture when I fired it up in the morning. The B16B is getting tired and finicky unfortunately. It did turn out to be somewhat dry the rest of the day, with only light drizzle.

The sound is "fun" with just the front muffler. Not loud at all, just a bit burbly with droning or obnoxious noise at all. The rear muffler was complete overkill, imho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.