SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first real issue I have on my 2005 S60 2.5T AWD.

Today I got the "immobilizer, see manual" message for the first time, and couldn't start the engine. After checking the battery voltage with a tester you plug in the cigarette plug, surprisingly, I was able to start the engine. I proceeded to get home when I noticed that instead of the usual "D" displayed on the dashboard for the gear selected, I had a "-", and to me it sounded the engine was in 3rd gear.

Things got weirder when I was stopped at a traffic light, as the "D" re-appeared, and when the light turned green and I pressed the accelerator, I felt a distinct clunk on the gear "engaging", that I never experienced before, and the "transmission service required" error message came up. At that point the "-" came back up replacing the "D". That sequence happened another 2 times until I made it home.

I finally got home, parked and tested the battery with the car running, and it indicated both the alternator and battery being healthy. I stopped the engine, and tried to start it again. It didn't start. I still had the "transmission service required" error displayed.

I left the car for about an hour, and came back with a voltmeter, and measured the battery at 12.60V under no charge, which seems to be healthy. Then I tried to start the engine, and it did start. But I got an extra error message, "engine system service required".

I got the S60 in 2013 with 103K miles on, and things have been great with regular services every 7.5K miles, and the need to get new support arms and right half-CV axle. Worth to mention, I got a "deep" service at 105K miles, on top of the dealer's, including a transmission fluid flush, by an ex-Volvo mechanic. The car is now scheduled for the 172.5K miles service, at which point I was going to get the transmission fluid flushed...

All those different error messaged made me think the battery was under-powering the car's electrics and electronics, but it doesn't seem to be the case. Any idea, anyone?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Turned out the issue was the battery. 9+ months outside of warranty, reading proper voltage, but changing the battery fixed all issues. :cool: Except the Check Engine light of course, but I'm getting an OBD2 reader/scanner today, so that should be the end of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the issue was the battery indeed. Got a new one, installed it, and voila! All problems are now gone. The Check Engine light is still on, but I'm getting an OBD2 reader/scanner today. :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts