SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i have noticed 50% of the running photos of interiors showing people putting the key fob in the dash. I always just have it in my pocket, never in the dash....opting for cleanliness and less stuff clanging about when I bang corners....

Is there any functional advantage to putting the key fob in the dash? With the keyless drive/entry I can't think of why I would want that thing bouncing around my house keys and supermarket club tags around the dash....

Is there a good reason I should use the key fob port?
I've been running the car for a while (since August 2015-1/2) with no incidence of weirdness with just having the key fob on my body versus having it in the dash....

Am I missing something?

Greg

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Is there any functional advantage to putting the key fob in the dash? With the keyless drive/entry I can't think of why I would want that thing bouncing around my house keys and supermarket club tags around the dash....

No, there is not, unless you are wearing pants/shorts with no pockets.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you put it in the dash, someone outside the car cannot open the trunk. And the wireless door locks don't work either from the outside. Now I'm wondering is it because it's in the dash or because it's too far from the rear sensor to allow the trunk to be opened? Unsure. I have PCC.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
So, i have noticed 50% of the running photos of interiors showing people putting the key fob in the dash. I always just have it in my pocket, never in the dash....opting for cleanliness and less stuff clanging about when I bang corners....

I've been running the car for a while (since August 2015-1/2) with no incidence of weirdness with just having the key fob on my body versus having it in the dash....

Am I missing something?

Greg
No,
Base cars do not have PCC personal car communicator and up until 2012 i was a stand alone option,anything with premier on has it built in,standard on t6 since its basically the base model is equipped like a premier

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
If you put it in the dash, someone outside the car cannot open the trunk.
I didn't know that! I knew about the wireless not working which is why put the fob the slot when washing the car. Otherwise the car keeps locking and unlocking when water hits the door handle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use the port because I am old school. It reminds me to turn the car off when I park. I'm fear that if it was in my pocket I may just park the car and get out and forget to turn the car off and lock the doors.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I never take it out of my pocket. Well except to use my home key (on a key ring) when arriving home to unlock the front door. (don't go in thru the garage much). Actually thinking about getting touchpad/keyless front door lock now!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yep! Keep that fob stashed and use the touch pad on the doors and boot to lock and unlock.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I never take it out of my pocket. Well except to use my home key (on a key ring) when arriving home to unlock the front door. (don't go in thru the garage much). Actually thinking about getting touchpad/keyless front door lock now!
lol, that's the first thing I did after getting the car. No keys!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Car wash - almost walked away with the key when I handed the car over, then remembered the dash slot.
Otherwise, it stays in my pocket so I don't forget it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
+1

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
If you put it in the dash, someone outside the car cannot open the trunk. And the wireless door locks don't work either from the outside. Now I'm wondering is it because it's in the dash or because it's too far from the rear sensor to allow the trunk to be opened? Unsure. I have PCC.
True, but if you have your doors to lock automatically when the car moves, you do not have to worry about your trunk. And why would I worry if someone can open the trunk while I am in the car? :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
251 Posts
I keep it on my key ring most of the time, but it's nice to know the slot is there for when the battery dies in the PCC.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

Am I missing something?

Greg
Fob is always in my pants pocket.....I'm always looking for the start button in my 2004 Armada!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I have had issues with the car not starting with the Fob in my pocket and Volvo(Corporate Tech Support, not just my dealer) tried claiming it was due to interference with my cell phone. I have since had my module for it replaced, so we'll see if that solves it. I still put it in the slot a bunch out of habit. I don't keep other keys, club tags or other nonsense on my Fob, so have no issues with things "clanging" around.

·
Registered
74 Posts
We have Schlage keyless locks on our doors and they are absolutely awesome! It is a key pad that requires a four digit code. No more keys. :)

The problem I have with keeping the key in my pocket is it is my wife's car! It is kind of weird but when we both get in the car we both have our keys. Many times the seat is set for her and I have to press the seat button to reset the seat. I assume because it recognizes her key. So I general put my key in the slot and.....I still have to manually reset the seat. Haven't quite figured it out.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have had issues with the car not starting with the Fob in my pocket and Volvo(Corporate Tech Support, not just my dealer) tried claiming it was due to interference with my cell phone. I have since had my module for it replaced, so we'll see if that solves it. I still put it in the slot a bunch out of habit. I don't keep other keys, club tags or other nonsense on my Fob, so have no issues with things "clanging" around.
Same issues here. If it's in my left pocket it only works half of the time. Dealer, batteries, new fob... Same problem.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Same issues here. If it's in my left pocket it only works half of the time. Dealer, batteries, new fob... Same problem.
Something is wrong. In the last 8+ years, I have only had an issue once...in a 2007 S80 T6 and it was repaired under warranty. I change cars every 3-4 months and I have never had a constant issue with any of them. If my phone is in the s!e pocket, which is very, very rare, the signal is iffy. Otherwise, never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts