SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been working on turning my 2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD. I don't want to spend too much money on it but I was my car to go a little bit faster. A lot of kids at my school are putting cool air intakes on their cars and are seeing a lot better performance. I was talking to one of my friends and they said that since I have a turbo I already have an inter cooler which basically does the same thing and wont see that much of a difference at all. Is this true? I want a good one but for under 300 dollars. If someone can help me out or tell me how theirs works that would be greatly appreciated.

Garrett

·
Registered
209 Posts
Re: Putting a Cool Air Intake on a S40 T5 AWD (Garrett004)

you can try marketplace and see if there is a used one or something.

i doubt you'll find an evolve or heico one for under $700.

as far as power goes, i did ngk spark plugs, cold air intake -- this is about 15hp upgrade.

just browse around.

i'd invest in $5,000 and get a bigger turbo if i were you... but that also can get you new rims, exhaust, and a body kit lol, so upgrade wisely...

·
Registered
6,887 Posts

A cold air intake and an intercooler are different. You can get an K&N Typhoon 69 series intake for our cars for around $300. An intercooler (much more effective at cooling the engine) will cost you an easy $650-1000. For looks and improved sound I'd get the typhoon. It supposedly increases HP, but I don't know if their claims of a specific amount are accurate. I love my typhoon. I will eventually get an intercooler, either ATP (cheapest, quality brand) or Bell (pricey, but ginormous).
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

You'll probably see bigger HP gains from the intercooler, but bigger "my car sounds cool" gains from the intake. I chose both. I did the intake and intercooler the same day as my first power upgrades. I think everything in my sig is listed in the order I put it on my car.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
i'm waiting on the evolve ic. Is the intake really worth it. I think since i am doing all these power mods i might as well throw on in.
Quick question
Evolve intake pipe, bsr, or k&n

·
Registered
275 Posts
Re: Putting a Cool Air Intake on a S40 T5 AWD (sanatarium)

Quote, originally posted by sanatarium »
T5 AWD at 17. Some are just lucky I suppose.
Ha for real, i had to steal my first t5 awd, true story...

Definitely recommend the K&N had it on my car for almost all 30K, sounds sickk

·
Registered
221 Posts

i got mine when i was 16

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Re: Putting a Cool Air Intake on a S40 T5 AWD (selrahc)

Quote, originally posted by selrahc »
i got mine when i was 16

Youu saaack

·
Registered
923 Posts
Re: (kpsingh0)

BSR if you can afford/procure it. I put the KN on a few months ago, love it so far. I'd skip the "intake pipe".

I bought my first car when I was 16, 1993 trans am, 5.7l V8. More power than I needed
But it was lots of fun.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sanatarium »
T5 AWD at 17. Some are just lucky I suppose.

I had a classic Vette when I was 17 (ok... it was a Chevette, but the Vette line got the girls to at least the parking lot
)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.