SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1984 240 DL Wagon puttered to a stop today. It choked up like it was not getting fuel, similar to an out-of-gas situation. Now it will turn over rapidly, but not fire. I have reason to believe it is getting a spark, and I have new plugs and newish fuel pump relay. Should I be looking at the fuel pump next? Are there any easy tests to see if that is working? Would it be possible/safe to check the pump by disconnecting the fuel line on the engine side of the pump, turn the engine over, and see if gas squirts out? Any other glitches that would cause this kind of dilemma?<p>Thanks,<br>Matt

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Puttered to a stop... (mdhughes)

Hello again, Matt.<p>Install a new fuel pump relay and you will be ROLLING again!<p><A HREF="http://www.vlvworld.com/200/Section_2_5.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.vlvworld.com/200/Section_2_5.htm</A><p>George Dill<p>

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Re: Puttered to a stop... (mdhughes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mdhughes</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Should I be looking at the fuel pump next? Are there any easy tests to see if that is working? </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yes. Shut down the car and remove the ignition key. Have an assistant place their ear near the driver's side rear wheel. Insert the ignition key and rotate to position II. Your assistant will hear the fuel pump energize momentarily, as the fuel pump pressurizes the system.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mdhughes</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would it be possible/safe to check the pump by disconnecting the fuel line on the engine side of the pump, turn the engine over, and see if gas squirts out? </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Not a safe thing to do...<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mdhughes</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any other glitches that would cause this kind of dilemma?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>When was your timing belt last replaced?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts