SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While in for maintenance, I had the shop put in Amsoil Synthetic Tranny Fluid. Volvo doesn't have a recomended replacement time on the car, but the R was starting to show signs of the occasional rough shift, so I thought it was time.<P>I just got the car back, but took it around some back roads for some spirited driving. The shifting is flawless, so it appears to have made a nice difference.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Change it at 48km & 96Km, did you change all the fluid? When the pan is drained you wil only remove approx 3 liters, trans holds more than that, I cnat remember the exact but it it just under 8 I believe including the torque converter, I will look it up tomorrow. You will need a flush machine to get it all out. I flushed my trans out very very well and change the 3 liters at each oil change, 4000km for my car, the fluid comes out as clean as it goes in and I do not use synthetic yet.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have to do that to mine. George, about how much for the trans flush with synthetic? I can not do it myself since I don't have the machine nor do I want to risk damage.<P>Prospero

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also did mine at 47k miles but used Mobil 1, instead. It does shift a little smoother now. I flushed it using the Bay 13 method and used about 11 quarts. The old fluid was pretty smelly and brown, I'm glad I did it when I did. Don't know how long more it would have lasted before some excessive wearing would take place. Plus, by now using synthetics I wouldn't have to worry about it for a long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I followed the BAy 13 method and flushed the ATF in 850 turbo.<P>Flushed and replaced with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.<P>The operation of flushing following the bay 13 method is real straight forward, and I thought easy. My wife did the starting and stopping of the engine - i did the dirty work.<P>Took about 20 minutes - thats all.<P>If you DYI, do yourself a favor and buy a spare connector and o-ring just in case. I did, did not need it but it was pfor peace of mind.<P>

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 850Rwagon:<BR><B>Bay 13 method? Where is the info on this? I must read this forum more often!<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://www.volvospeed.com/maintence.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.volvospeed.com/maintence.htm</A> <P>

·
Registered
305 Posts
I also just had some AMSoil synthetic tranny fluid put in my V70R......definitely feels a lot smoother.....or it could all be in my head. How do you all feel about AMSoil synthetic 10w30? Is it worth it or is Mobil 1 synthetic better? How much is Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used Mobil 1 Synthetic which sells for about $5.99 /quart. I believe Amsoil may sell for about +-$7.99 /quart.<P>IMHO - both Mobil 1 and Amsoil will provide adequate protection, and far exceeds conventional ATF. They are both very good!<P>I go with Mobil products simply because they are readily available at my local Pep Boys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts