SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just finished replacing the front bumper cover on our 2005 V70R - this was from damage due to striking a raccoon on the highway at night earlier in the Summer. The damage bent the front intercooler, AC condenser, and main intercooler. The radiator mount cracked, causing the radiator to leak, so that was replaced as well (but that was done earlier at the time of the damage, in order to at least get the car back on the road). I decided to upgrade to the IPD intercooler, rather than install new parts of the original 2-piece intercooler setup.

Anyway, as I was putting everything back together after installing the intercooler, there are 2 two-pin plugs that I cannot figure out where they belong. And now that I think about it more, I wonder if they are supposed to be connected (why didn't this occur to me during reassembly last night :mad::facepalm: ). The one 2pin plug is off of the harness that runs to the two horns in front of the radiator. The other plug is off of the left hood latch.

Can someone confirm that these are indeed connected. I think I know the answer - typing the question out must have been meditative for me and allowed me to figure it out... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I think you may be taking of the 2 plugs that are not used. But I need a picture to be sure.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm. One plug is on a lead right out of the hood latch (this lead is maybe 5 inches long). The other plug is on the harness to the horns - it splits off right near the lead to the left horn (this lead is 12 inches long). I'll try to capture some pictures this evening.

Would the lead from the hood latch be a trigger for the alarm, when armed? Or a hood open warning when driving?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
qwkbrk: I found that link, too, and was looking through the pics. There are some that get close, but are a little too grainy when zoomed-in to be sure. I'll get back in there this evening.

When my wife left the driveway this morning, she was greeted with several warning lights. It's weird that they didn't show up during our ~10 mile test drive last night. But these connectors are one of the things I want to check.

Since the warning lights came up, that reminded me to look into a diagnostic tool for our V70R. On my '04 Passat, I use the Ross-tech VAG-COM tool, and I'm trying to sort out which of the Volvo VIDA DICE tools is the right one to get. It would likely run on a laptop with Win7 Pro - 64 bit. It seems like you need the cable, the SW (2014D seems about as new as I need to go, from what I've read so far), and perhaps a patch to allow it to run straight from the machine - without a tie-in to the Volvo server. But I haven't found the "buy this from this vendor, install that, and it works!" thread to let me pull the trigger, yet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to close this out (at least, the 2-pin connector part of it), the two connectors were meant for each other - it was the connection to the hood alarm contact switch in the left hood catch. I now get the "single flash" when the vehicle is locked.

And, the Check Engine light that cropped up yesterday morning was from my leaving the MAF sensor unplugged after re-installing everything :facepalm: . That is now plugged back in, the codes are cleared (at least for that one, it can be done with just an OBD-II scanner) and our wagon is back on the road :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hey, could you post some pictures of that particuluar plug? I no longer have the single flash when I lock after doing similiar work up front.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Hey, could you post some pictures of that particuluar plug? I no longer have the single flash when I lock after doing similiar work up front.
If you haven't done so already, you might try closing your hood harder. In other words, let it drop closed from a slightly higher height.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you haven't done so already, you might try closing your hood harder. In other words, let it drop closed from a slightly higher height.
Or the 2-pin is his hood latch connector, which is why the lights dont blink, because it doesn't know if the hood is closed because you have it disconnected. Pretty sure the hood latch wiring and the horn wiring were on the same harness

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks!, I will check it out this weekend. When I installed my FMIC, I relocated my horns from out in front of my radiator to down by my transmission. Thougtht I got it all plugged back in. Will check it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts