SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 XC60 T6 that we bought about a year ago and have since come to really like volvo. I need a new commuter vehicle (~100 miles a day) and am looking at an S60 T5 AWD. My dealer is giving me a really good deal, but I am torn between two models. The original one I looked at has the 19" BOR wheels and sport suspension with sport seats - absolutely love the way the car looks, however I'm not sure if I'll like the ride long term and for commuting. I've read of folks having blowouts or bent rims due to the low profile rim tire combo and living in Alaska, need something reliable.

I even asked the service dept and the service rep told me she sees many blowouts and bent rims with the 19" package. The salesman who I somewhat trust told me that he has never had a customer complain about the sport suspension package or problems with the 19" Rims/tires. For what it's worth the service lady was extremely busy and multi tasking, not sure she fully understood my question.

I've test driven the car several times, but mostly on smooth roads and very little highway time. The dealer has a few other S60's however they have 17" rims and regular seats. The 17" rim version with touring suspension seems to ride quieter and smoother however it's looks are not as appealing (to me) as the 19" rims and lowered suspension. Dependability and ride quality are my #1 factors for this car, followed by appearance as a very close second.

I asked the dealer if they would swap the 19" BOR rims for 18" rims and a tire with the same overall diameter as the 19" package. They told me they had to sell the car in the configuration listed on the monroney.

So do many folks have problems with the 19" rims on less than perfect roads? The S60 is the best blend of sport and efficiency with AWD that I can find under $40K. My plan B vehicle is a Subaru Legacy Limited - nice car, but not sporty.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Not sure where you are from, but in North NJ we've had 3 sidewall blowouts with the 18's on our S60 over three years. I believe the 19" BOR's have a similar sidewall overall so YMMV. I've owned a 2011 Legacy 3.6R. Great car, roomy, smooth, awesome cruiser but ended up ditching it after 36k miles due to its more or less poor handling and just overall not a fun car. I inherited the S from my wife (we bought her an XC60). So I can tell you that the S60 is way more fun than a Legacy from first hand experience.

·
Registered
143 Posts
How bad do the roads in your area get after the winter and early spring freeze and thaw cycles are done doing their damage to the pavement’s surface?

Could you live with the smaller trunk space if you wanted to carry a spare tire in the car with you?

Do you have room in your home to store a set of wheels/tires? It seems to me that this would be the ideal solution if you wanted to have sport seats in a T5.

You can check with tire web sites, but if I remember correctly, the overall tire diameter for the S60/V60 19-inch set up is a bit larger than the diameter of the same vehicle sold with the 17-inch tire options. You may want to check the manual to see if this could limit the use of tire chains.

Oh what the heck, just get the S60 Cross Country with its standard sport seats, SUV tires, and temporary spare, and be done with this. ;)

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I would probably get the car with Bors but then also get a winter set up from tirerack.

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you are in Alaska and worried about blowouts due to poor roads, I would stay away from those 19" wheels. You could buy the car, then get a set of wheel/tires to replace them, say 18", then sell the 19's. Or get the S60 CC as mentioned, yeah it has a lift but if your roads are really poor in your area, you probably will do better with that. Tel us more abut where you live and the roads you drive.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I would probably get the car with Bors but then also get a winter set up from tirerack.

+1. The looks you want in the warm weather, the reliability you need in winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I Live in Palmer and commute to Anchorage - I don't think our roads are any worse than elsewhere in the country, but we do have some patches of rough roads and pot holes that tend to appear during the rainy parts of late summer. I had always planned on a winter set of rims/tires from tire rack, but I was mostly concerned about the rest of the year. The CC is not an option, my dealer (only one in the state) is giving me a great deal on current inventory.

On a side note, I started thinking last night that my last commuter vehicle was subaru impreza with low profile 205/50/17's, although a little more sidewall I never had any issues with this setup other than road noise.

I love the BOR's, but my look at the standard S60 Premier - dealer has a few of these with 17" rims. Although it doesn't look as sporty to me and I lose the sport seats, its still a nice car.

Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I Live in Palmer and commute to Anchorage - I don't think our roads are any worse than elsewhere in the country, but we do have some patches of rough roads and pot holes that tend to appear during the rainy parts of late summer. I had always planned on a winter set of rims/tires from tire rack, but I was mostly concerned about the rest of the year. The CC is not an option, my dealer (only one in the state) is giving me a great deal on current inventory.

On a side note, I started thinking last night that my last commuter vehicle was subaru impreza with low profile 205/50/17's, although a little more sidewall I never had any issues with this setup other than road noise.

I love the BOR's, but my look at the standard S60 Premier - dealer has a few of these with 17" rims. Although it doesn't look as sporty to me and I lose the sport seats, its still a nice car.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Never had 19's but we did have 18's at one point on a Scion, and all of our bubbles/bent wheels were during winter time. I cant recall ever bending one between April and November in PA.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Just curious, have you looked at the S60 Cross Country if there is one at your dealership?

·
Registered
510 Posts
The dealer can make any deal if they want to, if you want the S60 CC, have them put together a deal for you if you like it. You are one of many they sell to, you have bought from them before, tell them what you want and have them help you make it happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I would get the 19", if anything, because they come with the sport suspension. You can always sell the 19's and buy a set of 18's if they turn out to be too harsh. You'll probably find a number of folks on this forum who would swap their 18's. I've had both the 19" and 18" on our two R-designs, and the 18's with 235/45-18 tires are definitely the preferred set-up if you drive on a lot of rough roads. It's a shame the dealer won't do a swap with you (19's for 18's); some want a sale less than others.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I see the Anchorage dealer has a 2015.5 V60 CC AWD. It is an Inscription package with excellent ground clearance, storage, and heated steering wheel. I suggest you consider it if you get a good deal. I own an XC60 R-Design and recently added a 15.5 V60 Drive-E to the stable. My family loves the V60. It is comfortable and able to hold tons of stuff. Ours is FWD, but that is fine for San Francisco. Good luck! Loved Anchorage during our one visit.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
It's a shame the dealer won't do a swap with you (19's for 18's); some want a sale less than others.
It is not as easy as you think it is. I don't know anything about that retailer and it may be a case they did not even think about doing it for whatever reason. However, when you swap different size wheels from what the window sticker shows, it opens up a whole other can of worms; if, after the wheel swap, the car with the "wrong" wheels ends up being leased, it will create a huge problem with the bank since residual value is set by the MSRP (inaccurate at this point) and the bank could levy financial charges against either the retailer or whoever ends up leasing that car, at the end of the lease term.

It creates more problems than anyone, at the retailer, would want to deal with but I understand why you would look at it, differently, from a consumer's standpoint.

If I lived in Alaska, and wanted to have a stiffer/sportier set up with my new Volvo, I would go with the one that has the 19" wheels and invest in a set of 17" wheels with winter tires.

Otherwise, if I just wanted a softer set up, I would just go with the one that has the standard (17") wheels.

·
Registered
824 Posts
To OP- just special order the car with 18" wheels. Those new Skadi wheels look nice (better than Titania's IMHO). Yes, two months to wait, but the dealer should be able to offer you the same discount as the cars on the lot.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
It is not as easy as you think it is. I don't know anything about that retailer and it may be a case they did not even think about doing it for whatever reason. However, when you swap different size wheels from what the window sticker shows, it opens up a whole other can of worms; if, after the wheel swap, the car with the "wrong" wheels ends up being leased, it will create a huge problem with the bank since residual value is set by the MSRP (inaccurate at this point) and the bank could levy financial charges against either the retailer or whoever ends up leasing that car, at the end of the lease term.

It creates more problems than anyone, at the retailer, would want to deal with but I understand why you would look at it, differently, from a consumer's standpoint.

If I lived in Alaska, and wanted to have a stiffer/sportier set up with my new Volvo, I would go with the one that has the 19" wheels and invest in a set of 17" wheels with winter tires.

Otherwise, if I just wanted a softer set up, I would just go with the one that has the standard (17") wheels.
Yes, I understand that a straight swap has potential complications and perhaps added costs. I find it hard to believe that adding a more expensive OEM set of wheels and tires would negatively effect the residual. Honestly I'd find it quite ridiculous that it would hit the radar, especially compared to normal wear and tear vs. damage considerations at the end of the lease period. If the dealer had to purchase a set of 18" wheels and tires for the existing car to avoid this risk, then perhaps that's a small price to pay versus losing a sale? The swapped 19" set can be sold by the parts dept or used as incentive towards another sale. LOL.."It creates problems...at the retailer...." It's really not such a common occurrence/request to cause a breakdown in the system. A current sale and higher potential future sales from this goodwill may be the true realized "residual". It seems non-XC90's aren't exactly flying off the floor these days. Maybe Volvo sales needs to get off their arse and make things happen, even if a tad complicated at times? ;)

Case in point, I think you know my story: my dealer did a swap for me, though I upgraded to the 19" from 18", so they fairly asked for the option upgrade price of $750 to cover the value difference. Direct quote from the Sales Mgr, "I want you to be completely happy". We rewarded this goodwill 3 months later with another new $46K vehicle purchase after turning in our Audi A4 across the street. And believe me, those Audi guys were rolling out the red carpet for us to get into another Audi. Prior to this good experience at our Volvo dealership, with my V60 purchase, my wife was quite set on buying a new A3 S-line after turning in the A4. Instead, without considering other brands, not one comparison test drive, we went straight to the Volvo dealer and grabbed an S60 RD off the lot! Win-win....win! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts