SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, longtime lurker, been driving Volvos for 20 years. Two months ago I purchased a CPO 2016 T6 XC90 Inscription with 36k miles that came off lease. Clean CarFax, looked into the service history and it was just oil changes and a battery replacement, car drove great and is in great condition. Two weeks after purchase I had to have front rotors replaced (under warranty), thought yeah that's common, no big deal. Then I had a VOC error message, took it to the Dealer and they replaced a battery that was failing (specific to the VOC system, I didnt ask for more details). Then comes the big one - Turned car on 10 days ago and the CEL came on. I waited a few days to see of it would clear itself and it didn't so I brought it into the dealer 5 days ago. They diagnosed the problem as a "supercharger leak, and all the spark plugs need to be replaced." My wife was the one who brought the car in so she didn't ask anything beyond that. The Dealer gave her a loaner S90 (which is great) and she was on her way. They said it may take a few days, and after they fix the issue they wanted to test it to make sure nothing else came up.

My Question - I have searched all the SPA platform forums, and other than something about a supercharger resonator leak, I have found nothing in regards to this issue. Has anyone on here heard about a "supercharger leak?" The car has been with them for 5 days, and every time I get an update they say they are still working on it. I have looked at my VOC app and the car hasn't moved since the day I dropped it off. I have confidence in the dealer service dept., but I'm starting to get worried about these issues that are popping up. The first 2 problems were no big deal in my mind, but this one seams to be pretty serious. Any thoughts out there from the community? We sold my wifes 2013 T6 XC60 since it was getting up there in mileage, but I'm now questioning whether getting a 2016 XC90 was the right move here...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Been at the dealer for nearly one week now, they are "still working on it." They said, "well any repair to the supercharger takes a while." I'm thankful that at least I have a loaner, it doesn't seem as if I will get my car back anytime soon based on the dealers replies. Any techs on this forum heard of supercharger leak issues? Thanks in advance for any insight.

I'll update this thread when I receive any real info, as I'm sure people looking into reliability may be curious. Although due to the lack of supercharger problem posts, this issue may be more of an outlier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just want to update this issue: Code for misfire cylinder 2, dealer noted old spark plugs were in engine. Replaced all spark plugs and fuel injector for #2.

Smoke test on supercharger prompted them to remove it. They basically replaced a ton of gaskets until they think they had it. We picked the car up on Monday, and then yesterday - check engine light again. Back to the dealer this morning. I’m wondering if the entire supercharger needs to be replaced at this point, assuming it’s the same issue. Who knows, maybe it’s something new, how exciting!

Gotta say, I’d never want to own this vehicle out of warranty. My service department is just as sick of me as I am of them. I love this car when it’s working properly, but man this is getting old. Fourth trip to the dealer iin 2.5 months of ownership, not really happy.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
At least the spark plugs are replaced with new parts now. Those old plugs could become bombs any time. One more example of missed car from those spark plug service campaign.

Supercharge leak seems not a difficult thing as it is on intake side and they can smoke test it. Anyhow give them some time...

I have a cheap bluetooth OBDII reader. I can read the code and get some idea. So I will not be that surprised or frustrated when CEL is on.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
It’s odd the spark plugs would be old - there had been a recall campaign for early 2016 and some 2017 XC90 (although not sure which VIN ranges and it’s possible yours may not have needed them) for fear certain plugs would shrapnel. The supercharger leak message is unusual. Yours is the first mention of such an issue in the forums. The upside of CPO is you have a generous warranty on it. The downside is its history may not be fully known. I hope the dealer can resolve it promptly for you and you’ll be able to move on from this early bad luck.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
It’s odd the spark plugs would be old - there had been a recall campaign for early 2016 and some 2017 XC90 (although not sure which VIN ranges and it’s possible yours may not have needed them) for fear certain plugs would shrapnel. The supercharger leak message is unusual. Yours is the first mention of such an issue in the forums. The upside of CPO is you have a generous warranty on it. The downside is its history may not be fully known. I hope the dealer can resolve it promptly for you and you’ll be able to move on from this early bad luck.
Maybe the dealer who serviced the vehicle didn't pay attention to the spark plug technical journal / service action. Either way, he has the updated plugs. Now to have all his other issues troubleshooterd.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update - One week later and we have our car back. CEL due to air system too lean. They performed smoke test on intake, discovered leak in oil trap and oil cap/seal. Replaced oil trap and gasket, along with O2 sensors (just for good measure according to SA). So all in all - 2 leaks from intake side and old faulty spark plugs were the issues. I guess things like this just happen, but I'm pissed about the old style plugs being left in on a "CPO" vehicle, that "180 Point Inspection" smells like pure BS to me. As always, buyer beware, at least its all under warranty.

·
Registered
845 Posts
There have been a couple of threads here lately indicating that Volvo needs to do a lot more to reliably C their POs.

·
Registered
857 Posts
PSA: Don't buy a 2016 version, even a CPO. I preach this all the time. Get a 2017 or newer, please. There's a reason why they say "Don't buy a first year model."
(In before everyone who got lucky and received a 'perfect' 2016 model.)

Sorry for your purchase OP. I'm sure it will all work out in the end but you'll need to deal with the repairs.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
The spark plug service campaign was likely already done before the CPO inspection. They replaced them because of the misfire. If you send me the VIN, I can check to confirm.

·
Registered
105 Posts
PSA: Don't buy a 2016 version, even a CPO. I preach this all the time. Get a 2017 or newer, please. There's a reason why they say "Don't buy a first year model."
(In before everyone who got lucky and received a 'perfect' 2016 model.)

Sorry for your purchase OP. I'm sure it will all work out in the end but you'll need to deal with the repairs.
I'm currently at the tail end of the long episode with my NON-CPO MY16 XC90 (spark plug came apart, damaged part of the engine) and while Volvo took care of me, I can feel OP's pain on this. I must say, from 17K to 52K, it was trouble free for me and I didn't buy CPO. However, the only thing I would do differently would be to buy CPO. You need that mfg backed warranty or extended warranty.

I did talk to an indie Volvo mechanic about my situation and he was quick to say that this issue has complicated as hell and has a lot of known issues tho he didn't specifically mention anything about the supercharger. Heck, I'm getting new pistons because of a TJ.

Best of luck to the OP. Since the OP's car is CPO until 60K miles at least, the situation will be a lot easier vs. trying to appeal for good will support.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Wasn't a recall it was a Service Bulletin. Recall would mean a letter was sent to all eligible owners. Volvo simply waited until an owner came in to replace plugs. So if people stopped servicing at Volvo, they may still be running the old plugs.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Update - One week later and we have our car back. CEL due to air system too lean. They performed smoke test on intake, discovered leak in oil trap and oil cap/seal. Replaced oil trap and gasket, along with O2 sensors (just for good measure according to SA). So all in all - 2 leaks from intake side and old faulty spark plugs were the issues. I guess things like this just happen, but I'm pissed about the old style plugs being left in on a "CPO" vehicle, that "180 Point Inspection" smells like pure BS to me. As always, buyer beware, at least its all under warranty.
It's total B.S at some dealers and genuine at others. Dishonest Dealers often just slap on the CPO and send the car out the door. Figuring if there's problems, the new owner will bring it in, and they can get paid for work. Whereas, they have to pay a tech to do the whole CPO process on the up and up.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wasn't a recall it was a Service Bulletin. Recall would mean a letter was sent to all eligible owners. Volvo simply waited until an owner came in to replace plugs. So if people stopped servicing at Volvo, they may still be running the old plugs.
Yeah, the owner needed to bring the car into the dealer for another service and they would replace the plugs at the same time. Volvo explicitly started they will NOT notify customers about the spark plug SR.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Yeah, the owner needed to bring the car into the dealer for another service and they would replace the plugs at the same time. Volvo explicitly started they will NOT notify customers about the spark plug SR.
Yep, which means there are plenty of vehicles floating around that are ticking time bombs. Ideally, the owner would have gotten the car in at a 20 or 30K service, and plugs been replaced. But that's not always the case.

Some people drive a lot, so the 20 and 30K might have been exhausted rather quickly. And then the car goes to another mechanic for the remainder of its life. Which means if the plugs fail, Volvo hangs you out to dry. Luckily for you, we had a very strong case to get good will. 10-50K service visits had all been done at Volvo, so it was a matter of persistence and documentation, in your case.

An Open Recall would notify all owners of the potential failure and the vehicle could be brought in at any time for corrective action.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
It wasn't a service bulletin either. It was a campaign.
Either way, only people bringing their car in for service would have gotten swap. So I have to imagine there's a fair number of vehicles out there who have yet to get replaced. As between 30K-59K owner would be at mercy of servicing at Volvo to have plugs swapped. Course at 60K, maintenance calls for a plug replacement.

·
Registered
332 Posts
The spark plug service campaign was likely already done before the CPO inspection. They replaced them because of the misfire. If you send me the VIN, I can check to confirm.
That is interesting, is there a service campaign number or flyer that existed somewhere?

We purchased a 2016 CPO XC90 T8 with low miles (about 28k) not bad for a 3 year old car.

I want to look into this or should I wait until the 35k service? We just went over 30k a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
That is interesting, is there a service campaign number or flyer that existed somewhere?

We purchased a 2016 CPO XC90 T8 with low miles (about 28k) not bad for a 3 year old car.

I want to look into this or should I wait until the 35k service? We just went over 30k a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Service Action 29842.

Call your dealer with your VIN and they can see if it is open.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Service Action 29842.

Call your dealer with your VIN and they can see if it is open.
Any idea why Volvo took a passive approach to spark plug replacement (swap out at service) instead of sending out flyers to affected customers notifying them of the issue?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts