SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect I'm going to get some grief from a portion of the forum members due to the concerns around the mileage and no CPO, but I wanted to share about this purchase and I'll update as I can share the ups and downs as I go along. I just purchased a 2018 V90 Inscription T6 AWD Denim Blue with 68,200 miles on it. It is not a CPO and no warranty other than a little 60 day, 3000k from the dealer. The car has nearly every add on that could come with it.
  • Convenience Package
  • Bowers and Wilkins Speakers
  • Heads Up Display
  • Steering Wheel with Wood Inlay
  • Massage in the front seats
  • Heated Rear Seats
  • 115V Power Outlet Rear Tunnel
  • Premium Air Suspension in the Rear
  • Tow Hitch
  • Tailored Leather Dash
  • Polestar Upgrade
I'm not sure what else could be added other than the booster seats in the rear. Maybe there is something else. I'm in the Atlanta area and I bought it from a BMW Dealership from Seattle and it just got delivered last night after a 7 day journey. I took a big risk, I didn't see it in person, never drove it. I just bought it and had it shipped. It has a few scratches on the body, some chips in the rear bumper, road rash on 2 wheels, 2 small chips in the windshield, some minor interior blemishes like a scratch in the leather on the dash on the passenger side. It came with winter tires on it (Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32) and shipped with all season tires in the cargo hold (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3). The car drives great except for the tires being a little rough for the warm weather terrain.

I plan on changing the wheels soon. I really don't like these wheels at all. I may just keep them with the winter tires and put my all season tires on the new wheels. My use for winter tires in Atlanta is pretty slim, so maybe I'll sell them both as a package. I'm going to try to take it into a Volvo mechanic to have them check it out. I posted before about an Atlanta mechanic but didn't get much traction on that post.

The questions I have so far are:
  • Does the Air Suspension mean I have 4C suspension? When I put the car in Polestar mode it seems like the suspension stiffens.
  • When I enable the ventilated seats, I don't really feel air blowing through the seats. Should I?

Here's a couple pics.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Enjoy the car. Do you have heated seats and steering wheel?

You might be able to get a Volvo backed vehicle service contract. I would check with Steingold Volvo in Rhode Island. They are a forum sponsor and provide a Swedespeed discount. You can use the VSC at any Volvo dealer.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
The ventilated seats suck air into the cushion to cool it.

It's a beauty. Congrats.

·
Registered
13,479 Posts
Gutsy call to buy a used car sight unseen - good for you! Very pretty car - congrats!

Reactions: MyVolvoS60

·
Registered
145 Posts
Pretty!

I wouldn’t call 68,200 high mileage. Not low mileage either, but I’m sure with proper care it has many, many miles yet to roll. (I tend to extract all the years and journeys I can from my cars)

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's a fantastic car, mine is almost identical in white. Once you get the tires sorted I think you'll enjoy the ride better. The seats are very subtle in the way they operate.
Like others have suggested, go to the Steingold site and check out the extended warranty info there. You can even download the contract to examine before you buy. No salesperson involved, unless you want to reach out.

Go to a Volvo dealer and ask them to do an oil/filter change. That way you know you've got the right oil in it as a starting basis. Plus any software should be addressed at that time.
These are great, reliable cars. Enjoy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
  • Does the Air Suspension mean I have 4C suspension? When I put the car in Polestar mode it seems like the suspension stiffens.
Volvo website describes the V90 Inscription air suspension as follows --

Our active chassis with rear air suspension and Four-C technology makes your Volvo even more dynamic and refined. Providing superior comfort and handling while automatically maintaining ride height, it allows you to adapt the chassis to your preferences. To ensure comfort and handling even if your vehicle is heavily loaded, our self-adapting air suspension for the rear wheels keeps the ride height constant. Our Four-C technology monitors the vehicle, road and driver 500 times per second, simultaneously adjusting each shock absorber to current road and driving conditions to maximize both ride comfort and driving pleasure. Three chassis settings allow you to adapt the suspension to your mood and current road conditions. In Comfort mode, the suspension is tuned for maximum comfort, while Eco mode optimizes the suspension for low fuel consumption. Dynamic mode enhances the vehicle's sporty characteristics with firmer, more dynamic suspension.

In hard turn, it helps prevent body roll, and in hard stop, it helps prevent the nose from diving. Plus levels the car when heavy loads are added. I don't know how Polestar affects it.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Volvo website describes the V90 Inscription air suspension as follows --

Our active chassis with rear air suspension and Four-C technology makes your Volvo even more dynamic and refined. Providing superior comfort and handling while automatically maintaining ride height, it allows you to adapt the chassis to your preferences. To ensure comfort and handling even if your vehicle is heavily loaded, our self-adapting air suspension for the rear wheels keeps the ride height constant. Our Four-C technology monitors the vehicle, road and driver 500 times per second, simultaneously adjusting each shock absorber to current road and driving conditions to maximize both ride comfort and driving pleasure. Three chassis settings allow you to adapt the suspension to your mood and current road conditions. In Comfort mode, the suspension is tuned for maximum comfort, while Eco mode optimizes the suspension for low fuel consumption. Dynamic mode enhances the vehicle's sporty characteristics with firmer, more dynamic suspension.

In hard turn, it helps prevent body roll, and in hard stop, it helps prevent the nose from diving. Plus levels the car when heavy loads are added. I don't know how Polestar affects it.
In Polestar mode "aka, the old dynamic mode", the air suspension is adjusted lower and stiffer, so it reduces body roll, less swing and nose diving. You can also use your own profile and set suspension characteristic to such.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good Volvos are driven Volvos. I bought a 2012 XC60 T6 base from a random used car lot in January of 2017 with 99,500 miles. No warranty, but the price was $8500 below NADA suggested retail. A PPI suggested the car had no obvious maladies. I immediately began driving for rideshare and the miles quickly racked up. As of this writing, the car has 212,908 miles. All I've done is (in no particular order) rear brakes (not caught in PPI so the work was free!) PCV trap, both front axles, front left wheel bearing/hub assembly, motor mount and torque rod (misdiagnosed as the noise coming from the bearing), fuel rail pressure sensor, vacuum pump reseal, one battery, both HID headlight bulbs, front brakes (highly recommend power stop drilled/slotted rotors and akebono semi metallic pads - 94k and counting) and a couple sets of tires. Thing averages 22 MPG or so and still looks new inside, outside, and underneath. My indy recently told me getting to 300k won't be even a slight problem.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Congratulations, it is a very good looking car, lovely color!

I wouldn't necessarily call it high-mileage, I wouldn't worry about getting an extended warranty just yet, but you might want to consider it within a year or two...mainly for the electronics, which haven't yet been fully tested by time. Check Volvo's extended warranty options so you're well informed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Enjoy the car. Do you have heated seats and steering wheel?
I don't think the steering wheel is heading since it has the wood inlay. I'm not sure where in the settings I would check to see this but i didn't see anything when I was playing around with it yesterday. The front and rear seats are heated. My son cracks me up because it's 75 degrees here and he puts the heated seats on because he just thinks its so cool.

I put 100 miles on it today driving to visit some family that was visiting the area. It drove like a dream. Thank you for everyone that made the suggestions to buy an extended warranty. I might do that after I have the inspection done. I'm planning to take @RagnarV90 up on his suggestion to have the dealer change the oil.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't think the steering wheel is heading since it has the wood inlay. I'm not sure where in the settings I would check to see this but i didn't see anything when I was playing around with it yesterday. The front and rear seats are heated. My son cracks me up because it's 75 degrees here and he puts the heated seats on because he just thinks its so cool.

I put 100 miles on it today driving to visit some family that was visiting the area. It drove like a dream. Thank you for everyone that made the suggestions to buy an extended warranty. I might do that after I have the inspection done. I'm planning to take @RagnarV90 up on his suggestion to have the dealer change the oil.
You are close enough to 70K to just get the scheduled maintenance done. It will include an inspection and software updates. Ask around in your area about which Volvo dealer with which most owners are happy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Before you schedule any service, search the forum for the word Atlanta - if I recall there was a prior discussion of the service level from dealers in the Atlanta so that should provide you some insight and there are several to choose from. One of the posters I believe drives past the closest dealer to one clear across town because of the marked difference in competence and service levels.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I suspect I'm going to get some grief from a portion of the forum members due to the concerns around the mileage and no CPO, but I wanted to share about this purchase and I'll update as I can share the ups and downs as I go along. I just purchased a 2018 V90 Inscription T6 AWD Denim Blue with 68,200 miles on it. It is not a CPO and no warranty other than a little 60 day, 3000k from the dealer. The car has nearly every add on that could come with it.
  • Convenience Package
  • Bowers and Wilkins Speakers
  • Heads Up Display
  • Steering Wheel with Wood Inlay
  • Massage in the front seats
  • Heated Rear Seats
  • 115V Power Outlet Rear Tunnel
  • Premium Air Suspension in the Rear
  • Tow Hitch
  • Tailored Leather Dash
  • Polestar Upgrade
I'm not sure what else could be added other than the booster seats in the rear. Maybe there is something else. I'm in the Atlanta area and I bought it from a BMW Dealership from Seattle and it just got delivered last night after a 7 day journey. I took a big risk, I didn't see it in person, never drove it. I just bought it and had it shipped. It has a few scratches on the body, some chips in the rear bumper, road rash on 2 wheels, 2 small chips in the windshield, some minor interior blemishes like a scratch in the leather on the dash on the passenger side. It came with winter tires on it (Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32) and shipped with all season tires in the cargo hold (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3). The car drives great except for the tires being a little rough for the warm weather terrain.

I plan on changing the wheels soon. I really don't like these wheels at all. I may just keep them with the winter tires and put my all season tires on the new wheels. My use for winter tires in Atlanta is pretty slim, so maybe I'll sell them both as a package. I'm going to try to take it into a Volvo mechanic to have them check it out. I posted before about an Atlanta mechanic but didn't get much traction on that post.

The questions I have so far are:
  • When I enable the ventilated seats, I don't really feel air blowing through the seats. Should I?

Here's a couple pics.

View attachment 123579

View attachment 123581
Hi, congratulations, it’s a great car, about the seat, you supposed to feel air go through, I may have similar problem, last summer I have noticed very weak ventilation, in January while at dealerships they said it’s just a software update from running ok again. Unfortunately last week I went down to Georgia and tried to use it again but it was very weak again. I’m at dealership right now, they’re looking at it, if I’ll find out I’ll let you know what is the issue

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Gutsy call to buy a used car sight unseen - good for you! Very pretty car - congrats!
I bought my car online, but it came with a CPO, so I figured any major issues outside cosmetics from being a loaner were covered.

If I were OP, I would immediately throw on a warranty from Steingold. Buying a used car with no warranty, especially a Volvo, could end up being an expensive proposition. Especially if the car hadn't undergone a PPI before purchase!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before you schedule any service, search the forum for the word Atlanta - if I recall there was a prior discussion of the service level from dealers in the Atlanta so that should provide you some insight and there are several to choose from. One of the posters I believe drives past the closest dealer to one clear across town because of the marked difference in competence and service levels.
I did a search but the posts are pretty old and no clear consensus. There is an independent mechanic real close to my house "AP Motorworks/Volvo of Gwinnett". I notice nearly everyone is taking their SPA cars to dealers. is this just for the software upgrades? Is there a reason why I wouldn't have the service done by an independent contractor.

Hi, congratulations, it’s a great car, about the seat, you supposed to feel air go through, I may have similar problem, last summer I have noticed very weak ventilation, in January while at dealerships they said it’s just a software update from running ok again. Unfortunately last week I went down to Georgia and tried to use it again but it was very weak again. I’m at dealership right now, they’re looking at it, if I’ll find out I’ll let you know what is the issue
Tomek, if you find something, that would be great. I can hear the fans spinning like crazy in both the driver and passenger seat when enabled but I feel no airflow pushing out. @FusionRedXC60 indicated that they suck air in and they don't blow out. Maybe the Volvo's are different in this regard?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I did a search but the posts are pretty old and no clear consensus. There is an independent mechanic real close to my house "AP Motorworks/Volvo of Gwinnett". I notice nearly everyone is taking their SPA cars to dealers. is this just for the software upgrades? Is there a reason why I wouldn't have the service done by an independent contractor.

Tomek, if you find something, that would be great. I can hear the fans spinning like crazy in both the driver and passenger seat when enabled but I feel no airflow pushing out. @FusionRedXC60 indicated that they suck air in and they don't blow out. Maybe the Volvo's are different in this regard?
They do suck the air in and it’s cooling you nicely when it’s working like it supposed to, anyway I have my car back, my advisor said that he will look through service bulletins and if he can’t find anything they’re taking my seats apart. I have the same problem as you, I can hear motors working but there is little effect. When I find anything I will let you know

·
Registered
1 Posts
They do suck the air in and it’s cooling you nicely when it’s working like it supposed to, anyway I have my car back, my advisor said that he will look through service bulletins and if he can’t find anything they’re taking my seats apart. I have the same problem as you, I can hear motors working but there is little effect. When I find anything I will let you know
I would have purchased sight unseen as well, very nicely equipped, congrats! Regarding the seats, interested to find out too, my '20 Inscription has excellent ventilated seats. Particularly compared to my '17 Audi A6 which barely work other than full speed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Unsolicited tip - a lot of owners have failed to notice that there is a small compartment suitable for sunglasses to the left and below the steering. Just mention it in the event you had not already found it as I find it handy for transponder and sunglasses.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts