SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wished to share several updates and open items since my last posting. I had previously ordered (and ultimately cancelled) a Momentum Plus several months back. My chief concerns were 1) slower than expected acceleration; 2) weaker than anticipated air condition; and 3) comparison with my four year old MDX (I felt the MDX [putting looks aside] was the equal performance wise of the xc90). I have since reconsidered and am again purchasing a Momentum Plus - will take delivery this weekend.

Acceleration - Apparently I was not alone, both Edmunds and Consumer Report appeared to have issues in this regard (Edmunds specifically notes that the car was in sport mode). However, I must assume given Volvo's own testing, as well as Motor Trend and Car and Driver's results (which were consistent with Volvo's stated numbers - or close enough) that these were either pre-production cars, or cars that had some ECU issue which apparently my tester may also have had. In any event, after comparison shopping nearly every choice imaginable, (New MDX; Pilot; Yukon, Escalade and Tahoe; Durango; [I will skip the ugly Q7 replacement which I saw at the auto show - and the uglier Toyota Highlander], there simply is no other choice and I don't care if the car accelerates in 6.1, 6.7, or 7.5 to 60. I am keeping my MDX, getting rid of my sedan, and getting a new XC90.

Air Condition - I have discovered that this is actually a known issue - Volvo is aware of it - a certain number of vehicles had a faulty/leaky system - it is being repaired and recharged and should not be an issue - but it is not indicative of a weak design.

My Wife My wife really wanted captain's chairs and I have seen polling and comments on this forum. However, while Volvo does not offer these in the XC90, because the chairs fold individually, the XC90 keeps the flexibility of offering 7 seats instead of 6 while allowing easy access to the third row even with two car seats in place. (Unable to post pics of this that I took at the dealership - but for instance the middle seat folds and stays completely flat with the two outboard seats in place - a kid or in shape adult could easily scramble (or in our case a dog) from the middle row over the folded seat into the third row). This creates the look and feel of captains chairs.

Anyway, if there is anyone still on the fence - I have been there and back again and feel secure in my purchase.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That was one thing I thought about when I went to see XC90 in person. I told my daughter we can just leave the middle seat down and create a pass through like our current captains chair in our 2009 Infiniti QX56.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Since we're talking 2nd row seating, here's my "beef". We have 3 kids, with the older two in booster seats (4 and 6). We have the integrated booster in the 2nd row center, but I was slightly annoyed there was no option for 2 integrated boosters (like the XC60 has -- or used to have). Our ideal solution would have been 2 integrated boosters in the 2nd row outboard seats. Why only offer 1 integrated booster, when Volvo has in other vehicles offered 2?

Anyway, your comment about folding the 2nd row center seat as a better way to access the 3rd row just made me think that we'd then be sacrificing the 1 integrated booster we paid extra for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
My teenagers are well beyond booster seats, so that is not an issue for me. However, I would have preferred captains seats in the middle row and three seats across the back. I am transitioning from a minivan, so I am still wanting all of the drink holders, outlets, space, etc. I really liked the Honda Pilot for those very reasons, but couldn't get beyond the plastic feel of its interior. I never even drove the Pilot because the interior materials ruled it out quickly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am transitioning from a minivan, so I am still wanting all of the drink holders, outlets, space, etc. I really liked the Honda Pilot for those very reasons, but couldn't get beyond the plastic feel of its interior. I never even drove the Pilot because the interior materials ruled it out quickly.
We also have the Honda Odyssey, which I'm sure shares many of the things you like about the Pilot. We love the Odyssey! It was painful, but on our 8 hour Christmas vacation drive, I left the new XC90 at home and we took the Odyssey. It just travels SO well with our 3 little kids, DVD video system, etc. Also, as my wife rightfully pointed out, I didn't have to worry near as much about the kids' ketchup fingers in her van. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Both Motor Trend and Car & Driver got acceleration figures about 10% slower than Volvo's claims. Seven seat European SUVs don't use captain's chairs because they don't try to squeeze three passengers into the third row.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Both Motor Trend and Car & Driver got acceleration figures about 10% slower than Volvo's claims. Seven seat European SUVs don't use captain's chairs because they don't try to squeeze three passengers into the third row.
So there is no 6-seat SUV in Europe as people feel guilty to waste the space of one seat?

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts