SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a $4-5K budget and am looking to purchase another FWD/AWD.

Thought I would canvass the forum for some suggestions on what model/year to target with that kind of a limited budget.

I'm not looking for a project (like my s70) but more of a daily driver that I'll be keeping stock or near stock.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
What are you looking to do with the car you'll be spending that money on? Hard to come up with ideas without knowing exactly what you want out of the car.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I would get a C70 Coupe. I don't understand the limitation to FWD , I would also look at a 1997-1998 960/S90 - they can be modded to put out some good power.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To elaborate some more--I'm looking for a reliable daily driver that I can use in New Jersey as I will be working on the East coast during the week.

I'd like to invest under $5k to either buy a stage zero ready car or use that budget to buy a car and then get it to stage zero. I would prefer the car be no older than 12 years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Do not buy a Volvo for this purpose. For your price range, you could find a 6-12 year old Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis from some blue-hair (low mileage) that will be far more practical, last longer, and be easier to work on.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
There aren't a lot of good options in that price range with that age for Volvo. Is being a Volvo a must? You'll have potential high maintenance costs with anything that fits that criteria I think, as they'll often have mileage in the 100-150k range.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
There aren't a lot of good options in that price range with that age for Volvo. Is being a Volvo a must? You'll have potential high maintenance costs with anything that fits that criteria I think, as they'll often have mileage in the 100-150k range.
I agree.......are you allowing for maintenance expenses on that age of a vehicle???

·
Registered
785 Posts
He should be able to pick up a 2003 or newer S60 for that price depending on mileage - a normally aspirated one would be perfect for this role if he can live with the modest power.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input--seems like I may need to increase my budget or decrease my expectations (probably both).

I was budgeting another $1000 or so for maintenance expenses. Getting a Volvo is not a must but I thought it would be nice as I have some familiarity with these cars and can tackle some maintenance issues myself.

I have seen some high mileage non aspirated 2003-2004 s60's around this price range. I'm going to look at a 2004 with about 160k miles going for $3700 this weekend.

The Crown Vic idea is interesting--though my personal experiences with my wife's 2003 Explorer and it's transmission issues tend to scare me away from last generation Fords...

·
Registered
168 Posts
The Crown Vic idea is interesting--though my personal experiences with my wife's 2003 Explorer and it's transmission issues tend to scare me away from last generation Fords...
The difference is that for that kind of money, you can find a Vic/Grand Marquis with 60K miles on it (Estate sales in Florida, Georgia, Texas, SC, etc are ideal, IMHO) vs. 160K miles on the Volvo. If the 4R75W blows up (taxi drivers report that 150K - 200K is on average what you'll get out of that transmission), you can do a manual transmission swap (Mustang unit) on it just like the Volvo, although that is quite an investment in time, labor, and customizing.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
If you are willing to look outside of Volvo, I speak from experience when I say that 99% of all Subaru powertrain parts are forwards/backwards interchangeable across many years and models. With that kind of penetration, reliability is tops, since there are no more bugs to be worked out. Our Legacy wagon served us from 99K to 190K and all I ever did to it was half-shafts and the T-belt. I actually DID NOT need to open the hood unless it was to do an oil change. I would look for a 98-99 model from below the Mason-Dixon line (no rust) over a 3rd gen (200-2004) though, because the power-to-weight ratio is much better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts