SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I found myself a unicorn and I want to make sure the unicorn status doesn't cloud my judgement thus seek a second opinion from fellow enthusiasts. I have been looking for a very long time a 2010 R-design v50 T5 AWD with low miles a m66 transmission, I have finally found one at a dealer. Mileage is 81K on it which is very good for this car. But as dealer said and the carfax confirmed the clutch/pressure plate/master slave, PCV, timing belt/pump/tensioner appear to have never been serviced and that would be a lot of stuff to do once 100K rolls around in 2 years. Carfax does show strict service maintenance schedule at a dealer every 5k miles and a washer reservoir replaced at 60k. The car has always been in Tennessee so shouldn't have any rust which is a big plus. Now for the big no, the cost is 10k +tax for this car and I will have to fly from Washington State and then drive it back, and then the clutch/timing belt and mentioned things once 100k rolls around. I do have a mechanic scheduled to inspect the car and the dealer will take the car to him for me since I am unable to fly out there and inspect it myself.

Could you guys offer some insight and your opinion on this to me (price, condition, suspicions, favorite fruit... etc) and a second opinion before I do the stupid. For reference I have a 06 s40 t5 awd auto and work on it often (timing belt I take to the mechanic because I don't want to mess that up).

Update: Mechanic came back and says the clutch is gone and probably will not make it back on a drive back to Washington State, says there is signs of the right rear Axel Seal leak, so maybe just the boot needs replacement. Timing belt will need to be replaced at 100k. But this car if purchased would not be making it on the drive back (especially with someone who barely knows to drive a manual). So right now if the dealer would reduce the price enough to replace the clutch kit I would be happy. Other wise driving back 3k miles wouldn't be something I would want to do with a completely work clutch.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
508 Posts
I paid way too much for mine but I don't regret it. The PCV and clutch aren't really planned maintenance. Only think I would worry about is the timing belt but I thought those were good till 120k or 10 years. For reference my first PCV lasted only to 61k I replaced it with a used unit then bought a replacement rubber for my original one for when the used one goes. All in all $35 for a PCV repair. I personally wouldn't be worried.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I paid way too much for mine but I don't regret it. The PCV and clutch aren't really planned maintenance. Only think I would worry about is the timing belt but I thought those were good till 120k or 10 years. For reference my first PCV lasted only to 61k I replaced it with a used unit then bought a replacement rubber for my original one for when the used one goes. All in all $35 for a PCV repair. I personally wouldn't be worried.
Would 10K for this one be to much, I think the mileage gives me some leeway and I'll ask the mechanic to check the PCV and for any cam seal leaks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A little over a year ago I paid about 10k for a 2010 V50 R-Design M66. It turned over 100k driving home from Dallas metro to Austin.
I was advised to change timing belt and tensioner at 100k. Did so and it was a good move.
Anyway, no regrets at all.
You know the platform, so you have less to learn.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I paid 12k for my 2010 same setup as yours with BLIS (which I wanted) back in December 2017. It was low mileage like yours (75k at the time). Had some little problems to take care of. Yes I overpaid. At least I got the nice surprise of Polestar already installed. I flew to San Francisco one way and drove it home. I had to do an out of state also.

I think its worth it. I think I see the car you're looking at and looks to be in nice shape with the seats I personally prefer. Ask the dealer if the car comes with service records (hopefully, but most dealers throw them away). Also, just be honest and say to the dealer, "Look I'm flying out and that has a cost, I'm doing a PPI and that has a cost, if you sell me the car for $XXX then I'm a 100% buyer as long as things are as you say they are with the car." Work on getting a manager to sign of on it if necessary--pester, pester. lol.

I also used Autocheck by Experian to cross reference the VIN data, which did reveal a few things that Carfax didn't:
https://www.autocheck.com/vehiclehistory/autocheck/en/vinbasics

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I paid 12k for my 2010 same setup as yours with BLIS (which I wanted) back in December 2017. It was low mileage like yours (75k at the time). Had some little problems to take care of. Yes I overpaid. At least I got the nice surprise of Polestar already installed. I flew to San Francisco one way and drove it home. I had to do an out of state also.

I think its worth it. I think I see the car you're looking at and looks to be in nice shape with the seats I personally prefer. Ask the dealer if the car comes with service records (hopefully, but most dealers throw them away). Also, just be honest and say to the dealer, "Look I'm flying out and that has a cost, I'm doing a PPI and that has a cost, if you sell me the car for $XXX then I'm a 100% buyer as long as things are as you say they are with the car." Work on getting a manager to sign of on it if necessary--pester, pester. lol.

I also used Autocheck by Experian to cross reference the VIN data, which did reveal a few things that Carfax didn't:
https://www.autocheck.com/vehiclehistory/autocheck/en/vinbasics

Wow that is a nice surprise to have congrats on that.

Yeah I plan on doing the same thing and so far not doing full on negotiation until the PPI completes, if anything odd is mentioned it will help me leverage the price more. Thank you for the Autocheck tip, seems like the 10K range is a valid dealer price then if everything is as is. But yeah this one does not have blis. I hoped for nav system that I can tap into with a back up camera but oh well.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
508 Posts
I paid 11k USD for my 2007 V50 T5 AWD 6-speed with with 62k Miles on it had everything excecpt leather and dynaudio. I got rear ended about 6 months after. So it's definitely not worth that anymore.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Do it!

I passed up on an '09 V50 T5 AWD R-design automatic (for my S40) 4 years ago because, although I personally did the PPI and it checked out ok, I just didn't "vibe" with the car. Weird, I know, but I had an uneasy feeling about it as I was checking it out. Carfax reported a repair in the front requiring a new bumper cover and I noticed the headlights weren't factory.

It was fully loaded with BLIS and 2-toned interior. It needed a full detail (interior didn't present very well), a small door ding repair, a driver door latch, balance all tires and another key. I would have put the Polestar tune on it as well. The S40 I now own was 100% good from the go and $3000 cheaper to boot. Mileage was a draw: V50 had 89k miles, S40 had 93k miles.

My S40 has been awesome but I often wonder "what if". It that V50 had been equipped with the M66, there would have been absolutely no discussion. It would be in my garage now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do it!

I passed up on an '09 V50 T5 AWD R-design automatic (for my S40) 4 years ago because, although I personally did the PPI and it checked out ok, I just didn't "vibe" with the car. Weird, I know, but I had an uneasy feeling about it as I was checking it out. Carfax reported a repair in the front requiring a new bumper cover and I noticed the headlights weren't factory.

It was fully loaded with BLIS and 2-toned interior. It needed a full detail (interior didn't present very well), a small door ding repair, a driver door latch, balance all tires and another key. I would have put the Polestar tune on it as well. The S40 I now own was 100% good from the go and $3000 cheaper to boot. Mileage was a draw: V50 had 89k miles, S40 had 93k miles.

My S40 has been awesome but I often wonder "what if". It that V50 had been equipped with the M66, there would have been absolutely no discussion. It would be in my garage now.

Yeah I been driving my s40 for 5 or so years and always wanted a v50. But only from this year and manual awd. This one doesn't have damage on car fax or title but I am still doing the full inspection as this will be my new daily driver if all goes well. The s40 will be sold or passed on to a relative.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I paid 11k USD for my 2007 V50 T5 AWD 6-speed with with 62k Miles on it had everything excecpt leather and dynaudio. I got rear ended about 6 months after. So it's definitely not worth that anymore.
Oh man, sorry to hear that. Good job keeping it alive though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Wont be taking the car unless the clutch kit is replaced or the price of the car is reduced by the amount of the repairs. It is just not safe to drive that far. If anyone wants details on it let me know and I can give you the info and the report autocheck/carfax/mechanic inspection on it if you are interested in buying the unicorn.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Only 81K on the clutch and it's got to be replaced? Seems odd.

JMO, don't buy one of these cars if you aren't ready to do most of the work on it yourself.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
If it's a 1 Owner as in Original Owner - easily worth it - Especially If garaged ~ so get the Entire Story on V50 M66

10 yrs on Belts is pushing it , If it was a Southern Volvo as the Dam Heat Kills a lot of Items Quicker and or If anyone every Accidentally spilled some Oil - got over in that Area ..
I'd be more Concern with a Young Driver - Revving the Piss out of it and Cam Seals Leaking - so Check it over ..

Extra Nice If your able to get Service Records - Like When was the PVC done ? as that could cause Oil Leaks If run in that Condition of a Long Time .

There was 1 Going around it has had 3-4 Owners and it had been water Damaged I saw it was Sold 2 yrs. back - White & Black Seats just do Your Do Diligent Looking it Over - Good Investment ~ Try Not to Wreak it ~

Even If that ever Happened there are Huge amount of Support & Parts - way More then Other Vehicles

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I can't believe a dealer has a car for sale with a bad clutch. In my experience working in dealers, they would either wholesale the car as is (to an auction company usually) or recondition the car and sell a road worthy car.

It's a shame the V50 is across the country from you because if it were local, I'd be inclined to buy it anyway. In your case, factoring in shipping costs on top of the clutch replacement, regrettably, just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can't believe a dealer has a car for sale with a bad clutch. In my experience working in dealers, they would either wholesale the car as is (to an auction company usually) or recondition the car and sell a road worthy car.

It's a shame the V50 is across the country from you because if it were local, I'd be inclined to buy it anyway. In your case, factoring in shipping costs on top of the clutch replacement, regrettably, just doesn't make sense.

Yeah was pretty surprised myself. So was the mechanic. Yeah for me just not worth it when all things considered and accounted for. Also no service records other than whats on Carfax and my own research. Which is why I am more than happy if another enthusiast claims it, especially if they are close and can work on their own clutch and timing belt. I just want to make sure they are aware of all the issues. Also the tires are nearly bald.I been looking for one form any year so waiting more ain't going to kill me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it's a 1 Owner as in Original Owner - easily worth it - Especially If garaged ~ so get the Entire Story on V50 M66

10 yrs on Belts is pushing it , If it was a Southern Volvo as the Dam Heat Kills a lot of Items Quicker and or If anyone every Accidentally spilled some Oil - got over in that Area ..
I'd be more Concern with a Young Driver - Revving the Piss out of it and Cam Seals Leaking - so Check it over ..

Extra Nice If your able to get Service Records - Like When was the PVC done ? as that could cause Oil Leaks If run in that Condition of a Long Time .

There was 1 Going around it has had 3-4 Owners and it had been water Damaged I saw it was Sold 2 yrs. back - White & Black Seats just do Your Do Diligent Looking it Over - Good Investment ~ Try Not to Wreak it ~

Even If that ever Happened there are Huge amount of Support & Parts - way More then Other Vehicles

Yeah fun car, but not worth it for me with clutch + timing belt+ shipping + travel + needs ac to be refilled + new tires + rear passenger axel boot. Also no service record other than what is already on carfax, 1 owner but with a clutch in such a state and mileage it was definitely not garaged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts