SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was wondering if anyone has had this same issue with their Volvo I am having. I took video of the noise I am getting under the hood. I think it may be related to the AC but can't tell for sure. I will do some additional tests tonight as long as it doesn't rain! I took video of the sound with the hood open. I see the altenator but can't tell if there are additional pulleys down in that area. Please let me know if you recognize this issue or if you have any sugestions. I will update later tonight if I get a chance to run tests with an without the AC running.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Any idea if the car had the timing belt service done yet? You do have 100,000 miles on the odometer now. If not, this is something you might want to do in a hurry. The timing belt kit comes with a new tensioner pulley. Do the accessory belt at the same time. Those might be the sources of your squeaks.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Any idea if the car had the timing belt service done yet? You do have 100,000 miles on the odometer now. If not, this is something you might want to do in a hurry. The timing belt kit comes with a new tensioner pulley. Do the accessory belt at the same time. Those might be the sources of your squeaks.
+1 Change the whole works out & have piece of mind.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great! Thanks for the advice. I swear I'm not completely worthless, but....does anyone have a specific sight you sugest to buy the timing belt kit from or is it typically available at any local parts store?

With that I'm assuming these are common for Timing belt issues?

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Voila!
IPDUSA is one place.
There are several online sites like Tasca, etc. There are posts that list them all. Can't remember all of them right now because I'm old and have bad memory...lol.
I usually try my local dealership to get the right part number and price for my VIN. Then scour online sources for cheapest prices.

Timing belt issues are catastrophic, they can range from broken belts to pulleys failing so the belts slip off. Even the accessory belt slipping off can cause damage to the timing belt... you have a cascading effect.

I would address them quickly if those are indeed the sources of the squeaks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Voila!
IPDUSA is one place.
There are several online sites like Tasca, etc. There are posts that list them all. Can't remember all of them right now because I'm old and have bad memory...lol.
I usually try my local dealership to get the right part number and price for my VIN. Then scour online sources for cheapest prices.

Timing belt issues are catastrophic, they can range from broken belts to pulleys failing so the belts slip off. Even the accessory belt slipping off can cause damage to the timing belt... you have a cascading effect.

I would address them quickly if those are indeed the sources of the squeaks.
Thanks for the info. Over the weekend I'm heading down to the dealer I bought the car from....only been about 4 months maybe I can get them to work nicely with me :) Considering I'm working a deal with them to buy a Saab 9-3 for my wife they should be nice to me!

I had a timing belt go on a 94 Ford Probe GT (body kit, carbin fiber ram hood and lots more) once. I bought a belt replacement and took it down to a shop. They looked at it....said the valves (or something) where all shot and told me to come get the car. I sold it to a buddy for around $500......he put the belt in and violla the car ran just as good as ever! I wasn't to happy with the shop.....why they wouldn't just take my money and put the new belt on instead of assuming the motor was toast!?!? I don't know if I think the are good or bad for that?

·
Super Moderator
15,183 Posts
You may even consider buying the Kevlar belt from Viva.

Not sure on other's experiences, but will most dealerships install the parts you bring in? Or have y'all faced issues with dealers refusing to install anything but their own stuff? I may just go to a local indie Volvo shop for my own belt...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Check with whoever is doing the work first, most will only use volvo parts they bought themselves, that way you can get the full warranty. At least that is my experience here in denver.

It sounds like the belt tensioner. Mine sounded like that before I had everything replaced.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Depending on the year there was a bulletin regarding the aux belt tensioner causing interference making intermittent noises. But overall it seems around 100k is when the timing/aux belt system as a whole just starts making noise.

Better to be safe than sorry. The 120k t belt service interval seems to be a go at ur own risk. I will likely do my own at the 100k as well as a full vehicle once over just so I don't have to worry bout it now that the wifey drives it most.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Only pertains to 4.5' & early 05'. The "fix" is to loosen the 3 compressor mounting bolts & shift the compressor over as best you can with the available slop. Bolt torque is 24nm (18ftlbs).

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I will check with my car dealer on Saturday and see what they charge for the updates. Otherwise I live close to the twin Cities and I imagine there is a volvo dealer there. I will also check with their cost.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only pertains to 4.5' & early 05'. The "fix" is to loosen the 3 compressor mounting bolts & shift the compressor over as best you can with the available slop. Bolt torque is 24nm (18ftlbs).

Will check this out on Saturday. Thanks for the heads up!!!

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Yeah, that can be grouped into the rest of the early model issues haha. I couldn't remember which ones it pertained to.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Here's another.....
Checking belt tensioners
The outer/lower belt tensioner has a substantial amount of play between; screws, screw holes, locating pins and holes for locating pins.
This can cause contact between outer and inner belt tensioners.
The distance must be 2.5 mm (0.09 in), but can vary between 0 and approximately 3 mm (0.0-0.11in)

The distance between the inner belt tensioner and the deflection limiter on the outer belt tensioner should be 2.5-3.0 mm(0.09-0.11 in). Check the distance using a feeler gauge.

Remove the outer auxiliary belt.
Adjust the belt tensioner's position by removing the screw for the outer belt tensioner and installing it as follows.

When installing the outer belt tensioner, turn the belt tensioner clockwise (1) and hold it in position.
Tighten the screw (2).
Tightening torque: 42 Nm. (30 ft-lb)
This will allow clearance between the upper and lower tensioner.

I have pictures as well. If someone is willing to do a "how to" for the forum PM your email for details.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
So what is the recommended millage for a timing belt replacement??

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Honestly whatever ur comfortable with. Factory interval is 120k, p2 chassis is 105k which I don't see any differences that would indicate a difference in intervals. So I would say if ur around the 100k plan for it soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts