SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i live in Connecticut and got pulled over for my ipd turboback exhaust ...its the oval tubing one
450 dollar ticket fml

does anyone know the decibel level on it ...in ct the limit is 82db ??

obviously fight it right? the cop just used his ear ....not a decibel meter or anything:confused:

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
fight that one, unless the cop has golden ears you can win that one. obviously overreacted as mere mortals can't comprehend the sweet music of a Volvo B5 engine

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The issue is that even if you win, the cop will start looking out for you... the only way you can really win is to stuff steel wool on the exhaust, bring it to a shop and have them run a decibel test. Get a certificate that your aftermarket exhaust is under the limit. Next time you're pulled over shove that certificate in the cops face.

The people they need to pull over are the aholes on harleys that sound like tractors. I don't get how vtwin sound is pleasing to anyone. It sounds like bunch of firecrackers going off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hahahaha^ it's true, I f-ing hate the sound of those bikes

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Sheesh! Never heard of anyone actually getting a ticket for that. My BMW is insanely loud and cops don't even give me a second look.

I never understood how Harley guys get away with having the loudest, most obnoxious and horrible sounding exhaust ever and don't get tickets though.

Edit: I see I am not the only one who wonders about that lol.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
They get away with it only because it's viewed as a safety issue. Bikes are admittedly hard to see and it's easy to run one off the road. So the loud pipes save lives campaign has made them acceptable.

Definitely get an audio test and take it to court. That's BS. Unless you fail the test, then I guess you're stuck adding a muffler.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I just re-read your thread title and lol'd. The officer certainly was the DB :D

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,417 Posts
Where in CT was this? My bmw was extremely loud as well and I was never hassled for it. I dont think the IPD exhaust is that loud. I would go have a test done and if you are low enough fight the ticket. Best of luck

·
Registered
8,789 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
OP, you running a cat-less DP as I am? If so you will fail that test. I've had several COPS locally stop everything to jump on my tail as I roar by. I just try to lay off the throttle a bit in the known COP hangouts. I've been lucky so far.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
so i live in Connecticut and got pulled over for my ipd turboback exhaust ...its the oval tubing one
450 dollar ticket fml

does anyone know the decibel level on it ...in ct the limit is 82db ??

obviously fight it right? the cop just used his ear ....not a decibel meter or anything:confused:
Move to a free state... I've been running stock exhaust with resonator AND muffler delete for over two months now and no cop issues... though it's actually surprisingly quiet if you just putt along below 1700 RPM...

·
Registered
688 Posts
I ran my IPD DP/ Heico exhaust without a tip for like 2 months and never had it questioned the couple times i was pulled over for other violations (from ct). Prob just a cop trying to be a menace. Where in CT did it happen. State or local cop?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Sheesh! Never heard of anyone actually getting a ticket for that. My BMW is insanely loud and cops don't even give me a second look.

I never understood how Harley guys get away with having the loudest, most obnoxious and horrible sounding exhaust ever and don't get tickets though.

Edit: I see I am not the only one who wonders about that lol.
This may have been a "context stop" (needing some excuse to pull the guy over, hoping to find drugs or something. Ticket then written as an excuse.

The Harley's are too much of a hassle to pull over. I have an impression (this is going to be a broad generalization so forgive me) that there are two distinct segments of ownership: fairly wealthy yuppy times who "know people", hire lawyers, and file complaints. And the "dirtbag" type that might just run.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts
ah context stop abuse...there are so many knitpicky laws on the books that allow this kind of abuse to occur.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Some people have bad luck, some good. I remember people getting thumbs ups from cops...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I have an impression (this is going to be a broad generalization so forgive me) that there are two distinct segments of ownership: fairly wealthy yuppy times who "know people", hire lawyers, and file complaints. And the "dirtbag" type that might just run.

What's the diff btw a Hoover and a Harley?

>> Location of the dirt bag. :D

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Some people have bad luck, some good. I remember people getting thumbs ups from cops...
I've had both. Honestly the worst ones are the young ones that have something to prove.... It's ridiculous. Then again, I got pulled over for "excessive use of power because my tires squealed on a freshly painted lines in the rain" by a young guy. He asked "You have a porsche symbol on the back, what is this thing?" I said, the prancing moose sticker resembles a ferrari logo and it's a swedish novelty thing. He loved it, said have a good day and left me alone. Now every time he sees me near the campus he gives me a wave. I also have slowed down my take offs because he wasn't a d-bag about it.

Then I got tagged for 'not displaying a front plate' I had it in the windshield. He said I put it on the front today or it's a $200 ticket in the state... So much for Live Free or Die.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Check the code section the cop cited you for and see exactly what it says. There has to be some sort of testing facility to enable you to get the actual measurement to dispute the citation. Are you still using the OEM DP?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ooh, an opportunity to hate on Harley's...

I think someone should start a campaign called, "loud pipes get metal spikes" and start spiking the tires of parked Harley's. Affix a note to the spike that says, "Until you put a muffler on, expect this every time you stop."

1 - 20 of 52 Posts