SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

PSA: Aftermarket Intercoolers

3K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  lamarguy 
#1 ·
Today during an annual autocross event my engine all of a sudden lost power and shut off, after an extreme panic I realized one of the intercooler hoses had popped off, thankfully nothing flew up into the engine while it was separated, however I am upgrading to some heavy duty clamps and I recommend those with tunes and/or old and rusty stock clamps to do the same!

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: PSA: Aftermarket Intercoolers (PasS40ion)

T-bolt clamps are a must for high pressure turbo setups. The factory and any regular screw clamps are garbage. Glad to hear your car is ok.

#7 ·
Well the diameter on the stock IC is 2 1/8th and I went by the size Bell said they use on their instruction manual
so I assumed 2.5" would be big enough maybe someone with bell can comment did they supply the wrong size? or is 2.5" just too small.

I bought four from Ebay 4 for $12 shipped doubt the seller will take returns, but it is ridiculous ATP charges $15 shipping minimum for clamps!! Hopefully the ones I have ordered have a large enough diameter otherwise at least someone else won't make the same mistake clamp sizes really haven't been discussed on the board at all.

#9 ·
Silicone is tempting but I don't like the fact that the Samco hoses increases the diameter so much, I realize the need for an extra inch when it comes to exhaust piping but when it comes to air going to the engine a larger diameter will equal=more volume=less pressure= which will result in loss of lower band power, unless my thinking is completely wrong.

If the silicone hoses were the same size as the OEM ones I can see how better airflow and smoother internals can lead to more power...

#10 ·
Re: (PasS40ion)

Well the pressure isnt affected really, if your tune is set for 15psi then you will build 15psi whether the volume is smaller or larger... the key is larger volume of air which allows for more fuel to be added in turn making more power. Just adding these couplers or increasing volume in general wont do anything unless you commensate with fuel to increase power requiring a tune. Smooth couplers instead of ribbed merely allow for less turbulance which in a high output situation can cause loss of power.

Modified by ForceFed Motorsports at 9:37 PM 4-7-2009

#11 ·
Re: (ForceFed Motorsports)

Quote, originally posted by ForceFed Motorsports »
Well the pressure is affected really, if your tune is set for 15psi then you will build 15psi whether the volume is smaller or larger... the key is larger volume of air which allows for more fuel to be added in turn making more power. Just adding these couplers or increasing volume in general wont do anything unless you commensate with fuel to increase power requiring a tune. Smooth couplers instead of ribbed merely allow for less turbulance which in a high output situation can cause loss of power.

I understand what you are saying, but what I mean is since the air is traveling slower won't it take longer to build that initial pressure because it take longer for the air to get to the combustion- increasing turbo lag?

I guess I am just a little bit skeptical with the stock turbo cause someone in the Samco Thread said they actually lost power. I think it's minimal but maybe it's like when you install an after market intake sometimes you sacrifice low end for mid range-high end?

#12 ·

Id be curious as to see how much this kit really does increase volume because i cant see it being much. I see what your saying about lag but you guys seem to be sensitive to it haha. Take you for a ride in my turbo honda and let you see what retarded lag feels like lol.

#13 ·

&pagehaha whiplash lag?

And according to this thread http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...age=1 at atleast one point in the tubing it increases it from 2" to 2.5" I guess I am sensitive because I love the fact that I have barely no turbo lag and the turbo kicks in so fast after riding in a friend's gti. And I would like to keep it that way lol. Which is also why I would go with the gt28 if I upgraded turbos, less peak power but it just kicks in right away just like NA.

#14 ·

It could make more of a difference with a volvo since it seems that the majority of the intercooler piping is hoses not actual piping lol. The effects that ive messed with is changing diameter hot pipes to the intercooler on numerous honda setups. From the turbo a 2" to 3" pipe makes a substantial difference in lag and also peak power so yeah i know what your saying it can make a difference thats for sure.

#15 ·

Quote, originally posted by ForceFed Motorsports »
Well the pressure is affected really, if your tune is set for 15psi then you will build 15psi whether the volume is smaller or larger...

Not to nit pick....But, our cars meter air based on mass air flow, not PSI. Your tune doesn't target a specific PSI, it targets a specific volume of air at a given RPM.

So, PSI will vary based on altitude, temperature, etc. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.