SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
I do too, 100%. No sarcasm.
I said lol because it’s an unnecessary trade off - why can’t we get blonde seats with Bursting Blue?
(or introduce a new exciting halo color for the RD range instead of just cutting all of the interesting ones out of the lineup)
I guess I’m not into that color as it’s too showy. I love Denim blue. Did you see the XC90 RD also gets blacked out trim too. Looks great. The RD models should never have had chrome.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
1,553 Posts
I guess I’m not into that color as it’s too showy. I love Denim blue. Did you see the XC90 RD also gets blacked out trim too. Looks great. The RD models should never have had chrome.
I agree, denim is very nice. Personally, I’d like it on an Inscription, but also works very well on RD.
Chrome on them always seemed kind of out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
No Bursting Blue or carbon fiber trim option on the V90 R-Design? :angryfire:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Why wouldn't they be? I don't think there is anyhting regulatory preventing that. Didn't recent Mustangs come with a configuration like that?
The link 2018V90CC posted pretty much sums it up.

Basically, it's that the initial light must be of a certain size. That's how the Mustang got around it. But you'll notice that Audi, Lexus, etc., have for many for many of their models, implemented a "double" indicator. It has the sequential slim indicator (in red), but initiates a large single bulb (sometimes also the brake light) at the same time.

My hope, is that rather than do something god awful like that, that Volvo just retain the slim amber indicator and have it all illuminate at once. I'd forgo the cool factor of sequential, to retain having a slim amber indicator.
Interesting.

So the regulations require that at any time a segment of 2,200 mm2 be lit up.

That's the area of a square with 1.85" sides.

This doesn't seem like an insurmountable design obstacle.

Let's say the turning indicator strip is 0.25" wide. This might be a bit challenging, because then a 13.5" long portion must be lit up at least for a portion of the flashing cycle.

The width of the taillight (trunk and fender side combined) is 18".

So, needing 13.5 of 18" (~75%) be lit up, that doesn't leave a lot of inactive space for the movement.

This can be worked around though. Either make the strip uniformly wider, or widen it at the edges, and have the light bar move outwards from a narrow line to a wider illuminated area at the edge.

The limiting factor here is probably that they have already designed a taillight for the rest of the world, and they are unlikely to want to spend a ton ofoney developing a new one for just the U.S. market.

Anyway, I don't need animation in my turning indicators. I'd be just as happy with an amber line. I just think the pre-facelift implementation with a basic red bulb lightup is pretty ugly and incongruent with the rest of the appearance of the car.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Do we know when the 2021's are going to pop up in showrooms?

I'd be interested in stopping by to look at what they decided on for a solution for the lights.

It's funny to me that there is. 700+ page lighting regulation and we still don't get to have animated turn signals and adaptive headlights.

Usually the EU is the one that is criticized for this type of bureaucracy...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Usually the EU is the one that is criticized for this type of bureaucracy...
Agree but when it comes to automotive lighting, DOT is a complete joke. Antiquated rules and no justification for them. I recall headlights requiring a certain amount of bleed upward per DOT. Complete insanity. Back in the early 2000’s I had a Jetta VR6 and ordered European E-code headlights for it. The difference was completely out of this world. The US DOT spec light was basically useless, using a pathetic 9004 bulb. Output was dangerously bad. Upgrading to E-codes I ended up with an incredible beam pattern and tons of output from the far superior H4 bulb. DOT’s lighting rules are a joke.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I recall headlights requiring a certain amount of bleed upward per DOT.
I recall this too, when finding out my Subaru projector lamps had some sort of cutout in the shield specifically to reflect light upwards, apparently people call that the "squirrel finder" the intention of it is to illuminate overhead road signs. DOT lighting regs are the worst yeah, but there is a basis for that one!

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M
1,553 Posts
I recall this too, when finding out my Subaru projector lamps had some sort of cutout in the shield specifically to reflect light upwards, apparently people call that the "squirrel finder" the intention of it is to illuminate overhead road signs. DOT lighting regs are the worst yeah, but there is a basis for that one!
I don’t know if y’all have driven euro spec cars or not, but here’s my experience.
Last summer on my trip from the Netherlands to Sweden, I drove a V90 rental (with only 25 miles on the clock at the start!! They had just picked it up from the dealer a day or two ago, and I was the first customer in it.)
Every single road sign, including the overhead ones, were illuminated as if it was daytime, and I’m not talking about the street lamps’ light.
I find that NA cars just have a fuzzier “end” to the light, whereas euro spec cars have longer but precise range so you can see so far ahead (even with only low beams on) so that even though they have a sharper “end” to their light pattern, the actual distance at which you’re seeing in front of you is much larger.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don’t know if y’all have driven euro spec cars or not, but here’s my experience.
Last summer on my trip from the Netherlands to Sweden, I drove a V90 rental (with only 25 miles on the clock at the start!! They had just picked it up from the dealer a day or two ago, and I was the first customer in it.)
Every single road sign, including the overhead ones, were illuminated as if it was daytime, and I’m not talking about the street lamps’ light.
I find that NA cars just have a fuzzier “end” to the light, whereas euro spec cars have longer but precise range so you can see so far ahead (even with only low beams on) so that even though they have a sharper “end” to their light pattern, the actual distance at which you’re seeing in front of you is much larger.

Yes, in the EU (and Europe more broadly as a result), the regulation is that any overhead signage is required to be be illuminated. It's height based, not just position based, so even if a sign is on the side of the road, if it's above 4m (I think), it has to be illuminated. The result is that headlights can be designed to focus their output to the road itself.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My guess is they won’t, as it looks like a switch to more LEDs. That will likely require new wiring.

My V90 is getting new headlights due to poorly lit low beams. The 2020 cars got a new headlight that isn’t plug and play with my ‘18, so I’ll assume the same with the tail lights.
what is going on with low beams on your V90? I notice that our V90 doesnt have as good lighting as wife's Audi TT. I will have to pursuit it once i hear from you.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Having gone from a totaled 2018 V90 CC with the tracking headlights to a 2019 V90 CC with standard headlights, I find that the standard headlights are superior (except when making a right hand turn). There is better coverage and farther illumination.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Having gone from a totaled 2018 V90 CC with the tracking headlights to a 2019 V90 CC with standard headlights, I find that the standard headlights are superior (except when making a right hand turn). There is better coverage and farther illumination.
What is the difference that makes them better? I have a 2020 V90 CC with the tracking headlights and find the low beam cutoff to feel a tad low. Also there is a noticeable dark V between the two beam patterns, which is a little odd. I do really appreciate them turning with the car though, and combined with the cornering lamps enabled, you really can see around corners. The high beams are also incredible.

I’m curious how the “standard” lights compare.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The high beams are about the same, the low beams have longer reach and do not have as much of the dark V spot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
the 2018/2019 Ocean Race v90cc price isn't looking too bad compare to a maxed out 2021 v90cc...i used the build tool to configure a 2021 v90CC as close as possible to my 2018 OR base/options - including polestar....the 2021 configured summary was almost $3,000.00USD more...and this doesn't factor in the unique features that the 2021 doesn't have...both cars have unique options to their models...the 2021 unique options are: the air quality/advanced filter cleaner option, ventilated/massaging front seats and heated rear seats that the OR doesn't have...

·
Registered
109 Posts
the 2018/2019 Ocean Race v90cc price isn't looking too bad compare to a maxed out 2021 v90cc...i used the build tool to configure a 2021 v90CC as close as possible to my 2018 OR base/options - including polestar....the 2021 configured summary was almost $3,000.00USD more...and this doesn't factor in the unique features that the 2021 doesn't have...both cars have unique options to their models...the 2021 unique options are: the air quality/advanced filter cleaner option, ventilated/massaging front seats and heated rear seats that the OR doesn't have...
When I factory ordered my 2020 V90 Inscription, I noticed that some features in the 2019 model (e,g, rear storage area flip up package carrier, front seat massage) weren't listed or available, although there was a slight increase in MSRP. From what I can see, as a person new to Volvo, it seems like their practice is to make new model year changes like this, which (I guess) serve to reduce their costs, while increasing their selling price and maintaining or increasing profit. I realized this when I ordered my 2020 V90, but preferred a new car that suffered no prior abuse, since I intended to buy and keep for 10+ years. Honestly, a used 2019 model, in addition to reduced price, would have probably come with a few more features ... IF I could have found one exactly to my specifications. However, due to its rarity, this would have been unlikely (I did search for a used car and none were found to my liking at the time I ordered).

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Our ‘18 OR has heated rear seats. This is part of the climate package. Btw, you cannot have child booster seats and rear heated, as was the case with our V90 RD.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think the most surprising change for 2021 was the removal of the painted to match cladding that was available with some colors if you selected the Luxury Package. It seems they dropped that and renamed the Luxury Package as the Lounge Package.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts