SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you had the protective "film" installed on your headlights? How much did you pay? Do you think it's worth the extra dough?<p>TIA

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: Protective "film" for headlights (Ebbet4)

I had the protective film installed on my headlights and fog lights. I have the bixenon headlights, and after having one of the headlights pierced found out it was ~$1000 to get it replaced. The film was guaranteed to protect the lights for the next five years. If a light breaks in the meantime, the dealer will replace it at no cost (though I'd probably get tagged for re-application of the film). <p>I can't remember how much it ended up being... somewhere in the $300-$500 range. Seemed like an awful lot for a few strips of adhesive plastic, but if they do what they're supposed to do it was well worth it.

·
Registered
392 Posts

I installed the headlight and hood protection film from Xpel. I'm not sure that our plastic headlights need protection as much as glass ones do, but it was relatively cheap (~$50) and easy.<p><A HREF="http://www.xpel.com/products/configurator.asp?prevtype=1&prevyear=2006&prevmake=40&prevmodel=0&prevsubmodel=0&prevseries=0&type=1&year=2006&make=40&model=773" TARGET="_blank">http://www.xpel.com/products/c...l=773</A>

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link. One headlight on my car is $500 - my husband's xc90 has the BiXenon lights, and they are serious moula to replace.<p>

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: (Ebbet4)

The HID's are pricey, and both of our Volvos have them, but you shouldn't have to pay more than your comprehensive deductable to replace them if cracked.<p>Here in Colorado the gravel they call sand that is applied to the roads in the winter takes a serious toll on anything that was once pretty on the front of a car. That's the main reason I put the protection on -- insurance doesn't cover the (thousands of) little dings!<p>BTW, if you go the self-install route you will find it to be reasonably easy, but a basic heat gun (~$25 at Home Depot) will be handy to have. It softens the thick plastic cover to make it easier to fit the contour of the lens.

·
Registered
927 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Ebbet4</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you had the protective "film" installed on your headlights? How much did you pay? Do you think it's worth the extra dough?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>$60 for the kit, including fogs, and I installed it myself in about an hour. Easy if you follow the directions and work slowly...with the compound curves, I didn't believe it possible, but it worked. Definitely worth the money.<br>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts