SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Long time MB family here, but we're just sick of the inherent unreliability we've had with our wagons (first an '04 E320, then an '11 E350).

Family friend is looking to part ways with their '06 Ocean Race XC70. It's a beautiful car, but I'm weary of taking on a vehicle with nearly 170,000 miles.

Ran the vin through a decoder and it seems to have a B5254T2 R5 2.5L engine. Not sure if this is accurate or not since these decoders rarely are.

What kind of engine is in this car? In terms of reliability, what are the major things I need to make sure they've taken care of? How reliable is the transmission?

Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Hi folks. Long time MB family here, but we're just sick of the inherent unreliability we've had with our wagons (first an '04 E320, then an '11 E350).

Family friend is looking to part ways with their '06 Ocean Race XC70. It's a beautiful car, but I'm weary of taking on a vehicle with nearly 170,000 miles.

Ran the vin through a decoder and it seems to have a B5254T2 R5 2.5L engine. Not sure if this is accurate or not since these decoders rarely are.

What kind of engine is in this car? In terms of reliability, what are the major things I need to make sure they've taken care of? How reliable is the transmission?

Welcome to swedespeed - lots of good information in these threads. Ocean Race blue is beautiful - just wish they did all leather seats on these cars.

The decoder seems correct. You have a 2.5 liter 5 cylinder LPT motor. This car should have had the timing belt changed at 105k miles. Hopefully the seller has service records so you can see what has been done to the car. If no service records then maybe there is a sticker under the hood near the timing belt cover that shows when it was replaced.

If the car is on it's original suspension then most likely that will need to be gone over and replaced. Check to make sure the AWD system is working and take a look at the angle gear to see if it's leaking or dry. Check to see if the transmission shifts smoothly. If not done yet the PCV system will probably need to be replaced.

Would recommend having the car gone over by someone familiar with what to look for on these cars because as it stands it's 13 years old and it may require a lot of work if the current owner has not kept up with things. To reiterate, service/maintenance records are key.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts

To add on to WayneT5, you can always take the vehicle to a trusted mechanic for a pre purchase inspection. Bring along a print out of Wayne's suggestions and have the tech review those concerns more closely.

Volvos are great cars but expensive to repair. So if the current owner hasn't kept up on maintenance, you could be sinking several thousand dollars to bring the car up to spec.

·
Registered
16,805 Posts
To add more, google Volvo dealers or specialty shops in your vicinity. If it looks nice and drives well, that’s a good sign but the list Wayne gave and myvolvos60’s suggestions are good. The dealer or the specialty shop should do a ppi for somewhere in the 159 range but it’s cheap insurance. Depending on need, the several thousand spent will give you a super comfortable and very safe car and a rare one. Should last you another 100k at a minimum but they are needy. Making sure you have a solid platform to start is key. Peppy enough and smooth, this utilitarian car will be a favorite of yours, I’m willing to bet.
To add on to WayneT5, you can always take the vehicle to a trusted mechanic for a pre purchase inspection. Bring along a print out of Wayne's suggestions and have the tech review those concerns more closely.

Volvos are great cars but expensive to repair. So if the current owner hasn't kept up on maintenance, you could be sinking several thousand dollars to bring the car up to spec.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ocean Race's are awesome cosmetically. Otherwise they are mechanically identical to any other 2006 XC70 (and nearly identical to 2005 and 2007, lots of similarities outside electrical with '01-'04), so info wise you can just specify an '06 XC70 and get what you need.

The guys above have the basics covered. Timing belt was due in 2016 or at 120k, whichever came first (the 105K Wayne mentioned was applicable to other engines of that era and is definitely a safer number to use). Suspension is likely shot unless it has been replaced. Transmission ideally should have had periodic fluid changes, if not but it shifts smoothly through all gears both hot and cold in both directions, it should be fine but should have the fluid changed. Angle gear weeping is something to look for. Check to see if the AWD is actually functional (there are a few different tests you can do), these later P2s were better but still not foolproof on that system, especially if fluid changes were kept up with/leaks addressed. Glove test the PCV system to see what's up there. And yea, if attended to, it'll go another 100k without issue, but you do need to keep up with maintenance. As a European car, parts tend to be a bit more expensive (coming from Mercedes you'll be used to that) and the cars are sometimes finicky, but overall the '06 XC70s were very solid cars. THe early P2 transmission issues were largely fixed, and as long as fluid changes are kept up with there are few issues. The 2.5T is a very good engine.

I'm curious as to which OR# it is. #442/500 here :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The decoder seems correct. You have a 2.5 liter 5 cylinder LPT motor. This car should have had the timing belt changed at 105k miles. Hopefully the seller has service records so you can see what has been done to the car. If no service records then maybe there is a sticker under the hood near the timing belt cover that shows when it was replaced.

If the car is on it's original suspension then most likely that will need to be gone over and replaced. Check to make sure the AWD system is working and take a look at the angle gear to see if it's leaking or dry. Check to see if the transmission shifts smoothly. If not done yet the PCV system will probably need to be replaced.
Good to know I was doing research on the right engine then :p .

I know that Volvo messed up with the '06 service schedule and instead of indicating service on the timing belt at 105k they instead said 120. They didn't keep service records but I know for sure that the belt was done -- on the underside of the hood there is that "Byte Exchange" sticker with 119k miles that you mentioned. So I'm not gonna sweat the belt for at least another 80.

Suspension is a point of concern, but they're in New York State and they passed a safety inspection 3 months ago. NYS is pretty rigorous with checking play and wear on the suspension but we found a good Volvo shop and we're going to have them run it through VIDA and check the undercarriage.

madmattd said:
Check to see if the AWD is actually functional (there are a few different tests you can do), these later P2s were better but still not foolproof on that system, especially if fluid changes were kept up with/leaks addressed.
Yeah, I remember reading about some sort of test I could run involving the car on an uphill slope but I can't remember the specifics. The Haldex seems reliable but who knows!

We had a great '04 E320 Estate for almost 16 years that needed a total rebuild of the transmission, which was just not worth it. We're in Fairfield County where everyone and their mother (usually their grandmother too) has a XC, and I'm pretty thrilled to get my hand on a slightly more unusual one.

I believe it is #426/500!

Another upside to these cars is that at least if I want to I can do my own repairs. On MB it was a perpetual pain.

·
Registered
573 Posts
They didn't keep service records but I know for sure that the belt was done -- on the underside of the hood there is that "Byte Exchange" sticker with 119k miles that you mentioned. So I'm not gonna sweat the belt for at least another 80.
Does the sticker say the tensioner and idler were done too? If so, yea you should be good.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I will say that my V70 is the only European car that has been in my family since my dad's pre-Vietnam Spitfire experiment. Based on my last 9 1/2 years of experience, I feel that as long as you pay attention to the way the car transmits its needs and don't put off service, its easily as reliable as the best Japanese cars. European doesn't always mean German or British long-term reliability. But I also feel I lucked out. The car was a dealer trade in, so no records, but I feel that in the future, I would only buy private party with a stack of records because original owner neglect can become a multi-thousand dollar snowball.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So we drove up to see it, and it drove well. I had it checked out by an indy (and was dreading the results) but shockingly, it was nothing I didn't expect.

Front struts need to be replaced (as Wayne predicted), and the brake pads need to be redone. The previous owner sunk about 3k at the dealership into bringing it up to spec between fluids, the breather box, flushes for brakes, coolant and a couple of spark plugs.

As for the byte exchange, it did not indicate. I was under the impression that the belt and the tensioner were done in tandem. It was done at a Volvo dealership, so I'd hope they'd get that taken care of. I'll have to double check the date it was done, but I know it was done at 120ish.

It looks absolutely beautiful. I'm going to have to replace the left taillight because there is a crack in the assembly, and I'll also have to buff out some scratches on the bodywork.

The inner dash has the 426/500 plaque but the two side doors no longer have it -- I don't know if the original owner opted to have them taken off or if they fell off. Either way, those need to be sourced.

Thank you all for your advice during this process. I'm thrilled to get more immersed in this world.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Based on my last 9 1/2 years of experience, I feel that as long as you pay attention to the way the car transmits its needs and don't put off service, its easily as reliable as the best Japanese cars. European doesn't always mean German or British long-term reliability. But I also feel I lucked out. I would only buy private party with a stack of records because original owner neglect can become a multi-thousand dollar snowball.
This. This EXACTLY reflects my experience with my 01 T5M (and my former 2.4T).

/thaxman's informed advice clearly a result of his running Sirius wheels on a T5M :D

IMG_00000079.jpg

/your OR will, of course, require a rear spoiler assembly (the requisite "wang") if it doesn't already have one ;)

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
The inner dash has the 426/500 plaque but the two side doors no longer have it -- I don't know if the original owner opted to have them taken off or if they fell off. Either way, those need to be sourced.
I don't think there was a numbered plaque except on the glove box. Unless you mean the Ocean Race badges on the outside of the front doors. My passenger one was MIA before I bought the car (residue still there, need to deal with that). Driver's one is still attached, but has pulled away on a small part of the top side. I've seen several ads for these cars showing the passenger badge missing, it's kind of funny actually. Dave Barton used to sell reasonably-priced replicas, but I didn't order before Volvo brought the hammer down on him suddenly a year or so ago. You can get new decals from Volvo dealers, but they retail at something like $75/ea for what's basically a sticker!

If a Volvo dealer did the timing belt, they should have done the tensioner and pulley too. You should also be able to get a copy of the service records which would call this out.

·
Registered
16,805 Posts
Do yourself a massive favor and review videos on FCP Euro and do the strut assemblies and the front brakes all on your own. Hell - do all four corners and then you know it was new when you did it.
I am NO wrench turner and brakes is easy-peasy in a morning and with very little skill. No idea what you are doing and it's probably 3 hours. Strut assembly could be a bit more of a challenge, but will save you BANK.
Getting from FCP means lifetime replacements! Give them your VIN to start...

So we drove up to see it, and it drove well. I had it checked out by an indy (and was dreading the results) but shockingly, it was nothing I didn't expect.

Front struts need to be replaced (as Wayne predicted), and the brake pads need to be redone. The previous owner sunk about 3k at the dealership into bringing it up to spec between fluids, the breather box, flushes for brakes, coolant and a couple of spark plugs.

As for the byte exchange, it did not indicate. I was under the impression that the belt and the tensioner were done in tandem. It was done at a Volvo dealership, so I'd hope they'd get that taken care of. I'll have to double check the date it was done, but I know it was done at 120ish.

It looks absolutely beautiful. I'm going to have to replace the left taillight because there is a crack in the assembly, and I'll also have to buff out some scratches on the bodywork.

Thank you all for your advice during this process. I'm thrilled to get more immersed in this world.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reviving this thread.

We bit the bullet on it and have been pleased so far with the driving experience.

It sat for about 6 months while I was in school down south. I returned to a dead battery and absolutely no power steering.

One power steering rack and a $2200 bill later the car was doing dandy for about a week... until I started getting some nasty thuds from garage shifting. P-D, D-R, R-D.

(Note: stalking Swedespeed transmission horror stories at 2AM is a really great way to guarantee you don't sleep for the rest of the night.)

The problem expanded from those thuds into a bit of slippage going up curves and noticeable delays in shifting from red-lights. No bueno. I let the car sit and searched for a good specialty shop near me.

A buddy of mine recommended Rolling Motors, which is about an hour north of where I am in CT. Took it to them with my transmission problems and quickly decided I wanted these guys to just run through every issue they could find with the car.

The name of the game for me right now is getting the car to a reliable point where I can use it at our family's farm and I can also take it down on a 1,500mi excursion down to New Orleans in a couple weeks.

Ben thought valve body, but after putting the car through it's paces was unable to replicate my issues. Which, of course, is just typical with car problems. We decided on doing a trans flush, which hopefully will abate the problems.

I debated doing the struts and the brakes myself but I decided against it for now, and after Ben's prognosis of the various issues I'm glad I took it to him. All-wheel drive is nonfunctional (no bueno), the control arms in the front are donezo, as are the sway bar end links, and myriad exterior lights need to be replaced.

At this point, I don't think I want to do anything beyond keep it stock (although some of the lifted XC70's on here really tempt me), unless there are some must-do's that you all can recommend.

Once I get the car back from Ben I will post some photos. No RSE (which I can live with, since I'm a bit young for kids haha), no Homelink, which is a major bummer, and a 650 HU. Going to try and go to my local pick and pull and see if I can hunt down an 850, which, I think, is a simple swap. Add in a GROM unit and I'll basically be living in modern audio pleasure.

Can't express how invaluable this forum has been for all sorts of amazing insights.

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
Reviving this thread.

We bit the bullet on it and have been pleased so far with the driving experience.

It sat for about 6 months while I was in school down south. I returned to a dead battery and absolutely no power steering.

One power steering rack and a $2200 bill later the car was doing dandy for about a week... until I started getting some nasty thuds from garage shifting. P-D, D-R, R-D.

(Note: stalking Swedespeed transmission horror stories at 2AM is a really great way to guarantee you don't sleep for the rest of the night.)

The problem expanded from those thuds into a bit of slippage going up curves and noticeable delays in shifting from red-lights. No bueno. I let the car sit and searched for a good specialty shop near me.

A buddy of mine recommended Rolling Motors, which is about an hour north of where I am in CT. Took it to them with my transmission problems and quickly decided I wanted these guys to just run through every issue they could find with the car.

The name of the game for me right now is getting the car to a reliable point where I can use it at our family's farm and I can also take it down on a 1,500mi excursion down to New Orleans in a couple weeks.

Ben thought valve body, but after putting the car through it's paces was unable to replicate my issues. Which, of course, is just typical with car problems. We decided on doing a trans flush, which hopefully will abate the problems.

I debated doing the struts and the brakes myself but I decided against it for now, and after Ben's prognosis of the various issues I'm glad I took it to him. All-wheel drive is nonfunctional (no bueno), the control arms in the front are donezo, as are the sway bar end links, and myriad exterior lights need to be replaced.

At this point, I don't think I want to do anything beyond keep it stock (although some of the lifted XC70's on here really tempt me), unless there are some must-do's that you all can recommend.

Once I get the car back from Ben I will post some photos. No RSE (which I can live with, since I'm a bit young for kids haha), no Homelink, which is a major bummer, and a 650 HU. Going to try and go to my local pick and pull and see if I can hunt down an 850, which, I think, is a simple swap. Add in a GROM unit and I'll basically be living in modern audio pleasure.

Can't express how invaluable this forum has been for all sorts of amazing insights.
Foreign Car (And/or Volvo) ownership is never a cheap proposition. You're not in Ford or Honda territory where mass production and low cost parts save the day. Everything Volvo genuine (parts and labor) add up fast.

Meh, maybe I wasn't jiving, but I passed through New Orleans, walked up and down Bourbon Street, listed to music, and kept trucking. Maybe I picked an off day but there were several chicks in thongs hanging outside the bars offering a "good time" for $50. Bit scuzzy for a tourist hotspot.

Hotels downtown aren't cheap, which after I spent few hours checking things out, didn't seem worth the price at that moment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Foreign Car (And/or Volvo) ownership is never a cheap proposition. You're not in Ford or Honda territory where mass production and low cost parts save the day. Everything Volvo genuine (parts and labor) add up fast.

Meh, maybe I wasn't jiving, but I passed through New Orleans, walked up and down Bourbon Street, listed to music, and kept trucking. Maybe I picked an off day but there were several chicks in thongs hanging outside the bars offering a "good time" for $50. Bit scuzzy for a tourist hotspot.

Hotels downtown aren't cheap, which after I spent few hours checking things out, didn't seem worth the price at that moment.
Oh, tell me about it on the labor/parts perspective. Completely worthwhile, in my opinion, as long as you're prepared for the expense. Our last "Honda" type car was when I was 4... a 2001 Honda Odyssey that my parents insist was the "hot" thing to have back in the day. My family is used to Audi-type repair bills, so hopefully with the Volvo I can actually get to doing some of the work myself, both from a finance and a pleasure perspective.

I go to college down in New Orleans, so I actually intend on spending the rest of the summer there at a house a few of my buddies and I are renting until (hopefully) the fall semester starts up. Agreed on Bourbon -- never go there myself -- but if you're ever back in the area you should check out Uptown and the Bywater. Beautiful homes, great food, amazing people. Great bars if you know where to go and stay away from the touristy sections. Amazing music as well.

No GROM, but I've installed this for an aux input.

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot...orderId=103423212684272&productId=32689130104

Work well, no ground loop noises. Simple install. Needed it for a quick fix for my road trips.
God bless AliExpress. The link 404'd when I clicked it -- if it can charge my phone and play music I'll gladly pick it up. On a side note, your build (and Young Satchel's) is one of my favorite stalks.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts