SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a '90 745t and a '94 744t. Both have been good honest vehicles that I've had fun improving, basically with regards to their suspensions. The 745 has been dyno'd at 222 hp so there have been a few engine mods...<p>Saw a W8 Passat at the Chicago Auto Show a few years ago and was intriqued by the engine layout, the luxury that came standard and AWD. It replaced our 1990 Mitsubishi Gallant GSX (159K from new) but not in my heart. The VW was fine as long as it was under warranty but was also extremely unreliable. Now after 81k miles with much better than average care I'm faced with $7K repairs to the engine due to oil sludge problem. VW corporate claims bad luck despite there being numerous mentions of oil sludge problems with several of their engines. I live in a small VW market area & W8's are rare but the dealer's staff admitted reliability is terrible no matter what care they get and the only other W8 they see regularly also has the same oil sludge problem and facing the same repair bill.<p>My question, I've been very burned by the VW experience and should I avoid a AWD performance Volvo b/c there are inherent problems with various systems? I've read many comments on different forums before asking on this one. Seems like the adjustable suspension might have some issues. Anything else that I should be aware of as a possible "future issue"?<p>BTW: Last summer got rid of our '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R town car. Really miss throwing that around but build quality wasn't there and body went away. Drove a friend's WRX last week and realized how much I needed to get something fun with a stick. S60 R SEEMS like a good choice. Is it???<p>

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: Pro's & con's of buying a 2004 S60 R 6spd w/ 55k miles (davez138)

Hmmm, well since I am a bona fied Volvo nut my advice may be biased. I absolutly love my Rs past and present.<p>The R is killer diller. Its killer in what it is and it can be a killer on your wallet as some here can attest to (warranty is heaven).<p>If you get all the records and the car is tight I say go for it. Even better, try and find a later model year.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
if you have extra money in the bank without spending everything you have to get it in the first place.. I'd do it.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Re: Pro's & con's of buying a 2004 S60 R 6spd w/ 55k miles (davez138)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>davez138</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>My question, I've been very burned by the VW experience ... </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Been there, done that - to me R's reliability feels like a Japaneese when comparing a scheduled breakdown every week with VW.<p>I put 30k miles on the R within last year without problems but I do baby it , otherwise I bet I would be in the shop often

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
It would be good if you can find out if the collar spline was replaced, because if not, there is a good probability that it will be your first repair and won't be cheap!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts