SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got 18" OEM pegs for my 2004 V70R. The rims are 18x8, tires are 235/40/18. Want to obtain a little more aggressive stance to bring the wheels more flush with the wheel wells.

Questions are:
1. What size spacer should I use? Front / Back
2. What brand spacer is best?
3. Best and cheapest place to find said spacer.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is a whole thread dedicated to this...as I was just looking up the same info a few days ago. Anyway I ended up purchasing 5MM for the front and 10MM for the rear. I was able to find a few pictures with this set up and I liked it compared to the 5/15 , 10/15 or the 5/15...I thought that the 15 in the rear stuck out to far. But that is just MHO.

I went with the H&R spacers. I'll give you a secret. You can go to ECS Tuning (www.ecstuning.com) and type in the part number in the search area they have up top and it will bring up the H&R spacers you want. Anyway I got the 5mm and 10mm for 123 shipped. Only downfall I gotta wait bout 3 weeks for them to get here... but it was well worth the money I saved...plus the weather still sucks outside anyway.

I know that ECS Tuning only deals audi/vw/merz/bmw/etc but its thte same brand/part number that'd you get from IPD or anywhere else.

Example

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/3035650/ those are the 15MM spacers if you wanted to purchase them... Notice the part number 3035650

You can go to H&R's website and cross reference it if you so choose to and don't believe me.

Hope that helps and good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I didnt know ECS had Volvo parts :p, they are great for my BMW needs.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a whole thread dedicated to this...as I was just looking up the same info a few days ago. Anyway I ended up purchasing 5MM for the front and 10MM for the rear. I was able to find a few pictures with this set up and I liked it compared to the 5/15 , 10/15 or the 5/15...I thought that the 15 in the rear stuck out to far. But that is just MHO.

I went with the H&R spacers. I'll give you a secret. You can go to ECS Tuning (www.ecstuning.com) and type in the part number in the search area they have up top and it will bring up the H&R spacers you want. Anyway I got the 5mm and 10mm for 123 shipped. Only downfall I gotta wait bout 3 weeks for them to get here... but it was well worth the money I saved...plus the weather still sucks outside anyway.

I know that ECS Tuning only deals audi/vw/merz/bmw/etc but its thte same brand/part number that'd you get from IPD or anywhere else.

Example

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/3035650/ those are the 15MM spacers if you wanted to purchase them... Notice the part number 3035650

You can go to H&R's website and cross reference it if you so choose to and don't believe me.

Do you have a link to the thread you said you saw? I would love to see photos of that combo.

I am leaning toward that same combo 5mm on front and 10mm on rear.
Could you please provide the part numbers so i can order the same ones you did from the same place.
Also, did you need extended bolts for front as well as rear?

Thanks,

·
Registered
187 Posts
Do you have a link to the thread you said you saw? I would love to see photos of that combo.

I am leaning toward that same combo 5mm on front and 10mm on rear.
Could you please provide the part numbers so i can order the same ones you did from the same place.
Also, did you need extended bolts for front as well as rear?

Thanks,
This is the wheel spacer thread, you can rummage around it, its got good info.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?47663-Wheel-Spacers-merged-threads

Yes you will need to get extended lug bolts for this setup for both the front and rear. Some people say you can still use your stock front lug bolts on the fronts...but I just wouldn't chance it but its up to you. Def need to get longer lug bolts for the rears.

Here are the part numbers

5MM - 1035650

10MM - 2035650

From everything I read the shank length on our stock lug nuts is 33MM. So for the fronts you would want atleast 38MM. For the rears you would want 43MM. You can order lug bolts from a variety of dealers.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I didnt know ECS had Volvo parts :p, they are great for my BMW needs.
Haha yeah... I guess that is what you could call it... I was just googling part numbers and ran across it on ECS... I used to get a majority of things from them when I owned my Audi.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
May I suggest these? A friend of mine has them and I think is looking to sell them. I forgot where he bought them. They might give you that aggressive stance you are looking for.

OK, just joking. He bought them for his Jeep Cherokee. They might make the wheels bulge out of the wheelhouse on our caRs like those late 80's and early 90's Oldsmobiles with their 13" chrome deep dish 10" wide wheels with the super skinny white wall tires (like 185 width) for that super stretched look. :D

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I also honk about this.
No fears o spacers failing?
any issues running on stock rims? hubcentric rings needed?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Using 5mm front universals, and 15mm hubcentric at the back. No issues and the car looks better with flush wheels. Will be getting a set of 10mm hubcentric spacers for the front for my summer BBS wheels, and installing in the spring.

No fear from me for failing, my old 740 had 25mm and 32mm spacers. These are tiny in comparison. Besides, it's relatively low maintenance and simple to install.

Hubcentric rings are not necessary, only necessary for the wheels if it's not the stock bore size (65.1). Hubcentric spacers are necessary anything beyond 5mm to keep your wheels dead center.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Haha yeah... I guess that is what you could call it... I was just googling part numbers and ran across it on ECS... I used to get a majority of things from them when I owned my Audi.
Funny I had no clue ECS they had Volvo parts.
I used to get my Audi stuff from them.
They are a great company to do business with.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the wheel spacer thread, you can rummage around it, its got good info.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?47663-Wheel-Spacers-merged-threads

Yes you will need to get extended lug bolts for this setup for both the front and rear. Some people say you can still use your stock front lug bolts on the fronts...but I just wouldn't chance it but its up to you. Def need to get longer lug bolts for the rears.

Here are the part numbers

5MM - 1035650

10MM - 2035650

From everything I read the shank length on our stock lug nuts is 33MM. So for the fronts you would want atleast 38MM. For the rears you would want 43MM. You can order lug bolts from a variety of dealers.
Cool, where did you get your bolts? I will probably just duplicate your order since you already did the legwork... Also, it sounds like you have not received them yet. Will you need to roll your fenders to accommodate either set of spacers?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
May I suggest these? A friend of mine has them and I think is looking to sell them. I forgot where he bought them. They might give you that aggressive stance you are looking for.

OK, just joking. He bought them for his Jeep Cherokee. They might make the wheels bulge out of the wheelhouse on our caRs like those late 80's and early 90's Oldsmobiles with their 13" chrome deep dish 10" wide wheels with the super skinny white wall tires (like 185 width) for that super stretched look. :D
Nice.... Glad to see that you were joking :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I wanted the same thickness spacer at all four corners, so I measured how far the wheel rim & tire edge were from the edge of the fender and decided on 14MM would be perfect. Since no one makes this odd number, I had them machined up from 6061 at work. IIRC 15MM would've worked up front but could poke (yuk) a tiny bit depending on the tire. With 14MM all around I was happy with the look and got no run, didn't need to roll fenders or do anything other than install & drive. Small added bonus I was able to remove the steering stops with no rub, on both 18" Pegs with 235/40-18's and 17" Pegs with 235/45-17's.

Here is a pic with 18's--sorry its a crappy angle since I wasn't trying to show the spacers, but the car is under a snowdrift right now.

My advice would be to measure your own car, & see what you want. You might find you can do 15MM all around, or you might find you need to do a 10MM/15MM combo, or if you have access to a machine shop, you can have custom ones made up.

And of course you'll need lug bolts that correspond to the spacers you choose.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Man, I wish I knew about ECS tuning before I bought my spacers from IPD. ECS has some really good pricing. I went with 5MM/10MM. I wish I went with 10MM/15MM. I still have the front tire rub, I'm running 245's

Example

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man, I wish I knew about ECS tuning before I bought my spacers from IPD. ECS has some really good pricing. I went with 5MM/10MM. I wish I went with 10MM/15MM. I still have the front tire rub, I'm running 245's
any before / after photos?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Cool, where did you get your bolts? I will probably just duplicate your order since you already did the legwork... Also, it sounds like you have not received them yet. Will you need to roll your fenders to accommodate either set of spacers?

http://www.radusadirect.com/category/010_lug_bolts.cone__taper__seat/

They got what you need, just email them with your special order. Our lug bolt is a 14MMx1.5 Cone and obviously you need to get the different shank lengths I mentioned before. Anyway I have heard throwing 15MM spacers on the rear causes the rear tire to rub a bit if there are passengers or what have you in there. THat is what kinda drew me away from that. Also if you do the 5MM/10MM you dont need to roll your fenders unless your car is slammed. Which Im guessing it's not.

Also I would consider maybe getting four of their locking lug bolts just for a little piece of mind... I hate thiefs and when you least expect it you will walk outside and boom. your damn wheels are gone. Is it prolly gonna happen.....nah I don't think but hey you never know.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since a few people are watching this thread, wanted to ask if most people using 5mm spacers on front wheels are getting by with stock lugnuts. Trying to save money where possible without compromising safety.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts