SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

looking for advice for what paint to use. The section above the cat has flaky paint and badly rusted. There are rust dots on the entire shaft. I cleaned them up all and prep the shaft for painting.

I have a few options:
1. brake caliper spray paint - looks like the best candidate but I don't know what the temperature is this rated for. Any idea how hot the brake calipers can get?
2. suspension high temp paint (250F/121C) - excellent abrasion and salt resistance but 250F will not be enough above the cat
3. engine high temp paint (2500F) - excellent thermal properties but does not resist very well to abrasion from stuff under car

Thanks

·
2,521 Posts
Whatever it is, make sure you give it a coat of high temp primer.

·
2,521 Posts
Any metal primer for tht matter.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Typically, the brand "VHT" (in aerosol and brush forms) is very good for high temp applications. I'm sure there are others but VHT been around for years and works well.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you had the drive shaft out, this would be a great candidate for high temp powder coating. I have done some exhaust tips in this high temp black rated to 1000 degrees if I remember right, and they turned out awesome. This is assuming that baking the metal at 425 F to cure the powder doesn't do any thing bad to the drive shaft. I would say no since they sit and get cooked by the Cat all day every day.

I would assume you are just going to paint the drive shaft while it is still in the car, and that rules out powder coating.

They are some high temp thermal coatings you can try out, a lot don't even need to be cured in an oven you just let it air dry then the high temps in action do the final cure.

There a bunch to choose from if you have an air compressor and paint gun even a cheap gun from HF will work.

I would look at Columbia Coatings, NIC industries, and Techline Coatings.

All the high temp ceramic coating would be doing in this instance is keeping the drive shaft from rusting more, but some of those coatings work real well.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the VHT caliper paint this morning in my way to work. It is in the aerosol can so I can do it nicely. The shaft is out of the car and the rust was removed (it looks like a Dalmatian with inverted colors). Baking is a problem for such a long item with rubber boots at the ends and the big rubber in the central mount. It is way too much trouble to do powder coating. I need to put the car back (this is not a build).

I have a paint gun but getting the mentioned paints is much more trouble and time than just buying the VHT in a can. I used the VHT suspension paint for suspension members on my Toyota and it works well. I also used the German caliper paint (sold by ipd) and it is really good. But it is way to expensive for the size of the shaft.

The actual reason for shaft removal is to get to the AOC filter for replacement. There were some square heads at Volvo engineering that decided it is a good idea to have to remove the exhaust, the propeller shaft and the AOC coupling-to-the-shaft in order to change the fluid filter. I have a 2004 car.

The shaft work is project scope creep.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Nothing wrong with a rattle can since it puts the paint on the surface just like a fancy professional spray painting rig would.

Sounds like your current project is already overkill, sure the shaft gets hot, perhaps even hotter than the engine which is limited to 200 degrees, but I'd be willing to bet its never gets close to 300 since the rubber boots and center carriers can last a while on our cars.

And that reminds me, I got to make a new haldex heat shield for my new exhaust, talk about going full circle on my own mod, lol.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I got the VHT caliper paint this morning in my way to work. It is in the aerosol can so I can do it nicely. The shaft is out of the car and the rust was removed (it looks like a Dalmatian with inverted colors). Baking is a problem for such a long item with rubber boots at the ends and the big rubber in the central mount. It is way too much trouble to do powder coating. I need to put the car back (this is not a build).

I have a paint gun but getting the mentioned paints is much more trouble and time than just buying the VHT in a can. I used the VHT suspension paint for suspension members on my Toyota and it works well. I also used the German caliper paint (sold by ipd) and it is really good. But it is way to expensive for the size of the shaft.

The actual reason for shaft removal is to get to the AOC filter for replacement. There were some square heads at Volvo engineering that decided it is a good idea to have to remove the exhaust, the propeller shaft and the AOC coupling-to-the-shaft in order to change the fluid filter. I have a 2004 car.

The shaft work is project scope creep.
I know the, I mush have this stuff done ASAP syndrome all too well. As long as the metal is prepped correctly ether via mechanical means like a sander or even sand blaster, or via chemical means the paint on top should last quite a long time. Any paint or powder coating job is 10 percent actually applying the paint and 90 percent prep work.

I brought up the powder coating as it seems to last the longest to the abuse of being under the car, but some stuff it's just not posible to do it on.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is long done now but just to close on it ... I used the VHT paint. No issues actually painting other than all the masking of the rubber parts especially the middle bracket.
Looks like the temps down there are getting pretty high next to the exhaust and there was a strong smell of paint around my car for about ten days. So I guess the paint got baked naturally no need for an oven :)

The shaft was removed again in the mean time for clutch replacement and the paint was in good condition.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
And that reminds me, I got to make a new haldex heat shield for my new exhaust, talk about going full circle on my own mod, lol.
I was thinking about doing the same with my new exhaust as well I was going to redesign the original one you made gotta post it up when it's finished

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts