SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I seem to be bombarding the forum with posts on this job I have roped myself into but once again it appears I need help.
After staring at the trailing arm front bushing for about 45min last night I finally accepted that I need to drop the rear subframe to get at it. In fact I’m also resigned (I think) to driving the subframe over to the dealership so that they can take that dastardly bushing out. The access to the rear of the bushing is severely limited.

Anyhow my biggest challenge is that the prop shaft just won’t come out of the rear differential. It’s rusted in there pretty tight and all this stuff about those two pieces being harmonically balanced from factory has got me a bit gun shy to use any major force to separate the two pieces.

The situation I’m in is very similar to the one this poor chap was in in the video below. I would prefer not to destroy any pieces along the way though. Forward the video to about 9:30min in.

Ideas?

https://youtu.be/uFMkG3GD49U

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
If you have the flange without the rubber damper, a quick hit with an air chisel will pop it out. If you have the rubber damper in the flange, I usually wind up having to cut the flange and replace it.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have the flange without the rubber damper, a quick hit with an air chisel will pop it out. If you have the rubber damper in the flange, I usually wind up having to cut the flange and replace it.
Shoot, pretty sure mine has the rubber damper, see pic below:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Nope, that's the one without the damper.

Remove the bolts holding the center bearing in place to allow more movement too.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, that's the one without the damper.

Remove the bolts holding the center bearing in place to allow more movement too.
Ah great! In that case, would you recommend that I hit the middle section (male insert into VC) dead on (ie perpendicular to axle) with the impact chisel or the female piece hitting it towards the rear?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I use an air chisel and hit the prop shaft (male part) on an angle toward the front of the car to pop it out of the flange. You can also apply some heat to the flange to help a little.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use an air chisel and hit the prop shaft (male part) on an angle toward the front of the car to pop it out of the flange. You can also apply some heat to the flange to help a little.
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I gave up. Heat might have helped but i was concerned about damaging the rubber seals in the area. I chipped away at it pointing towards the rear of the car too thinking it might make sense to get rid of all the rust to be able to spray penetrant in there but opted to abort mission.

The good news is that I was still able to drop subframe enough to work on trailing arm bushings so all good...for now.

https://youtu.be/XUZocFzQ__k

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I only watched about a minute, but if the chisel slips off immediately then it isn't really transmitting much force to the prop shaft. I assume you don't have the luxury of a lift. Even on a lift, I have to get the chisel set and then kinda lean into it with some weight before hitting the trigger. I couldn't imagine it being easy on my back.

At least you got the bushings replaced without it.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
In the future, you can remove the whole Haldex unit together with stuck propeller shaft. It is just 4 bolts and a lot of Haldex oil lost.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only watched about a minute, but if the chisel slips off immediately then it isn't really transmitting much force to the prop shaft. I assume you don't have the luxury of a lift. Even on a lift, I have to get the chisel set and then kinda lean into it with some weight before hitting the trigger. I couldn't imagine it being easy on my back.

At least you got the bushings replaced without it.
Yeah I had some trouble holding it in place. And when I did, I still managed to ding the cap which kind of pulled away from the male piece a bit. Hopefully no harm done. I just tapped it back in place. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the future, you can remove the whole Haldex unit together with stuck propeller shaft. It is just 4 bolts and a lot of Haldex oil lost.
Thank you. I’m guessing that the prop is easier to remove from the front end then? I ask as I still may take the angle gear out to reseal it and replace the vent but that’s for another day. I’m tired of lying on cold concrete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts