SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm going to be replacing the oil and filter in my haldex gen III but to access the filter I've been told I'll need to drop the prop shaft's connection to the haldex. I've looked at the instructions in VIDa and I suppose it looks doable, even for me. But what I'm unsure about is the part where it mentions using a tool to counter the turning force created by undoing the bolts.

I haven't yet gotten under there to get a look but the instructions calls for a special tool. Do I need to purchase a specific tool or are there generic tools? Or can I do something on my own? I've also been told that the bolts can be a real pain to undo so I want something reliable rather than undo some of the bolts only to get stuck halfway.

If it makes any difference it's a S80 2007 V8.

Registered
Hi,

I'm going to be replacing the oil and filter in my haldex gen III but to access the filter I've been told I'll need to drop the prop shaft's connection to the haldex. I've looked at the instructions in VIDa and I suppose it looks doable, even for me. But what I'm unsure about is the part where it mentions using a tool to counter the turning force created by undoing the bolts.

I haven't yet gotten under there to get a look but the instructions calls for a special tool. Do I need to purchase a specific tool or are there generic tools? Or can I do something on my own? I've also been told that the bolts can be a real pain to undo so I want something reliable rather than undo some of the bolts only to get stuck halfway.

Hey. I have used pipe wrench to help with the Suzuki SX4 driveshaft. Not sure I want to use it on my Volvo.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure I would either. I was thinking more if there was a universal prop shaft tool of some sort. I don't know, the cost of buying a tool to do a job would have felt more justifiable if it could have more applications than one. The VIDA instruction says the tool is called T9995743, a volvo special tool. I think they're sold at around 400-500 SEK which translates to around $50-60 USD or $70-80-ish CAD.

But then again, if you total up the total cost of buying the oil, filter pack and the special tool the total cost is probably still lower than having a dealer do it. So I'll probably just go for it and buy one, hopefully my dealer sells it.

Registered
Hi,

Is this serviced required or recommended.

I plan on keeping my 07 V8 for another 4-5 years. Is this something that should be done like the transmission fluid change? Mine has 90k miles on it right now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Volvo doesn't even recommend flshing the gearbox but that's pretty much something you should do. Haldex units installed on other brands typically have a 60000 km (about 38k mi) oil intervals. There is a filter on the haldex so that should be changed and the oil sucked out and replaced.

Registered
Volvo doesn't even recommend flshing the gearbox but that's pretty much something you should do. Haldex units installed on other brands typically have a 60000 km (about 38k mi) oil intervals. There is a filter on the haldex so that should be changed and the oil sucked out and replaced.
Thanks for the info. I know that the Haldex system used on the VW Golf requires fluid changing every two years.

Registered
I've been told that the Haldex unit has no gasket, so it would need a sealant. Are you taking the housing apart to replace the fluid?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't been under the car to take a look yet but I've decided to at least attempt to do it without dropping the prop shaft. I think that if I wont be able to do it without dropping it I'll probably just have the dealership do it and pay what-ever it costs to not have to mess with all of that.

But if you by taking it apart mean removing hte entire haldex from the car, then no. I'm going to put the back wheels on two of those ramp things and attempt to remove the filter. If I'm able to remove it I should be able to replace it. Best case scenario I might even get some extra fluid to drain through where the filter would sit from having the car at an angle. Then drain it using a oil pump through the fill plug and then fill it up. It's the filter part that's got me a bit concerned.

Registered
i dropped my prop shaft down ang just greased the cv joint in the back end of the prop.the part that enters the haldex.you need a pneumatic gun to unbolt the screws.i had to hammer around the haldex,cause the prop was reallllly stuck.after putting all back together,the awd was not engaging.had to put the tester and erase the fault and everything fixed.the car was up on the service elevator so you can have the space.it's really tricky if you do not have the right position and necesary tools.also,i had to take of the whole exhaust system front to back,just to reach the prop.good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts