SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to improve the low beam lighting on my 2006 S40 T5. I have the stock projector lights. Let me know what you have and how you like them. Looking for reasonable costs. Thanks, Rick.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Switched my bulbs from H11 to H9 and cleaned the projector lens -- I'm very happy with the results.

Some have claimed the extra heat and wattage will embrittle the wires and connectors...

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
951 Posts
I thought shadow was no longer making SKBOWEs. Does he still have a few?

BD

’98 S70 GL, '06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hmm that I am not sure. I scrolled through his site and hit the order button and said he's all out of stock and doesn't plan to make anymore. You could always try contacting him and see what he says or if he has plans to make another batch in the future.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
514 Posts
Has anyone ever looked to see if the HID projectors are a bolt in upgrade? Also Morimoto has a damn good LED bulb out, not sure if anyone has tried those yet.

·
Registered
437 Posts
"E46" style Bi-Xenon HID projectors (Bosch AL) will bolt in to the halogen housings. Can be obtained from many different car models (selection guide here: https://www.skbowe.com/a/2017/08/01/al-projector-e46-identification-chart-selection-guide-pdf/). Myself, I got one pair from a 2015-ish Camaro and another pair from a late model Dodge Dart.

Guide here:
https://www.skbowe.com/a/guide/

FYI: Above guide, the trick NLA SKBOWE unit, and a significant amount of research into P1 lighting upgrades was done by forum member "theshadow27". He is a legend, a gentleman and a scholar. You can take any post or content from him as gospel.

My personal recommendation: get yourself some sweet Gen2 Bosch AL projectors, used on ebay from one of the models listed in the selection guide. Get a decent 55w HID kit and some 4500k bulbs. The above guide has great suggestions and input on choosing parts. Bulb quality does make a big difference for HID stuff, so something like an Osram Night Breaker will be much better than a bargain chinese bulb that comes with a $40 balast kit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great input guys. I will try the H9 bulbs first while looking into the possible HID's. I think a good cleaning is also due.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was one of the people to experience problems with the H9 swap: arcing and brittle wires.

The wires went bad probably because one of my headlight housings was aftermarket and had cheapo wiring whose insulation started to flake at the ends, probably poor quality exacerbated by the extra heat. Resolved that with heatshrink tubing.

The arcing happened after I had done the bulb mod to make the H9 fit the H11 socket, which I guess made it sit imperfectly, because with time it moved about enough to arc and fry the entire plug. I should point out that I had done the mod properly with a dremel, and couldn't tell any fit issues on install - everything seemed tight.

I bought a set of H9 sockets, cut the old H11 ones out, and soldered the H9 ones in. Much happier with this setup - the little "clips" that hold in an H9 are so much more robust than the flimsy equivalents on an H11 socket, no arcing issues, and H9 bulbs fit with no questionable mods. Been running with this for a solid while and no issues to report.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts