SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gentlefolk,

As some may know, the wall of cylinder #3 was rapturously cleft asunder coming out of a toll plaza in Richmond. Adding insult to injury, I was taking a friend out for dinner!

Cue some months of rumination, acquisition of a suitably practical and reliable daily (RX330 AWD), move to a more suitable locale for vehicular storage and other assorted merriment.

Thanks to Ivoromeu for this steal of a block. 46k miles...

To do list, which shall be checked off as we go!

-Block shim
-HG + WP + TB and other such gubbins
-Silicone hosing
-FMIC and appropriate piping
-Downpipe + feline of superior throughput (#yesofficer)
-K24 11 blade wheel + rebalance
-Tune
-Defense counsel

Lo! It begins!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Damn I'm excited for you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cheers. Updates will come as time (read: $) passes. I have some fiscal loose ends back up in Can-eh-da to tie up and have a voracious appetite for the consumables of constitutionally protected activities.

Something will have to give, time being the likely sacrifice. This thread may be slow but hopefully worth it in the end!

I aim for 400-430ish brake, and 400+ftlbs. Injectors may need poking with and likely some type of water/meth injection to prevent detonation. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Oh baby! You going to do the block guard and shims mod?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh baby! You going to do the block guard and shims mod?
Block guard? Forgive my ignorance.

Yessir! The block is - in finest Canadian English - 'oat' of the car ( don't say oot!) so why not? Enough needs doing with the timing belt so why sit on a ticking bomb we all know will go off?!

Shim it and bedamned. Water+meth will do wonders for cylinder temps.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Remember, I'm here to lend some hands. Just let me know when we need to get the R where she needs to be for the resurrection!

·
Registered
755 Posts

Shimmin' in de name o de lord...
Made them from old tags from the Lexus. PERFECT thickness, requiring a little encouragement with a rubber mallet

you might want to measure the thickness of your shims. when I installed mine, they seem to fit well, yet 18 months later I had a cracked wall cylinder. I was using 0.032 inch thickness. you really need 0.035 which seems to be the thickest that can fit but requires more persuasion than a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

So...reconsidered the material and set to it with feeler gauges. One 0.035", an 0.025+.010 on the next...you can see where this is going. I've sat it a millimeter or so below the deck so as to allow the head gasket to bite

Fun part will be trying to bend the 0.035

·
2,520 Posts
Your vocabulary is very colorful haha. I'm excited to see how things pan out.

Btw that coffee mug is awesome

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your vocabulary is very colorful haha. I'm excited to see how things pan out.

Btw that coffee mug is awesome
Cheers to both of those. I presume you have been to Jerome? Such a wonderful little town.

The vocabulary comes from living all over the English-speaking world, particularly Ireland, where wordplay is highly appreciated.

350AWHP should be doable here.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Lots of luck man and welcome to the popped cylinder club. If you need any guidance on getting the motor in or out of the top and other related shenanigans feel free to review my rebuild thread linked in my sig. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts