SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that missed my first thread on this: http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=67700

After 5 months of waiting for parts everything came together quite nicely. The new engine came out of a 2006 S60R from Illinois with only 1,050 miles on it. So here we go...

Oil Temp & boost gauges with live unit

Oil temp sensor

Oil temp sensor adapter fitting goes into the stock oil drain plug I had to buy separately

Air Fuel gauge

The A-pillar POD The top POD is sized for a 52mm gauge. The bottom 2 are for the 60mm blitz gauges. I had this custom made from Xenophobic. The quality is impeccable! Very special thanks to Xeno for doing this for me.

This shows how the wires are routed into the POD:

The routing of the Oil Temp & Lambda wires

The routing of all 4 gauge wires through the firewall on the drivers side. Boost is tapped between the Intake manifold & the CBV/Diverter Valve. Aquamist MPS is tapped on the compressor side of the TCV hose:

The finished product

The Aquamist DDS3 gauge installed

The final look of the interior Very high quality & tasteful IMO

I had a relief valve installed on the over-pipe to prevent unforeseen high levels of boost. A little overboard but I am trying to keep safety in mind. My internals are stock so I don't want a repeat of the last engine:

Schweden-Tuning got the silicone fitting directly from Samco. What you also see in this pic is the Boost Valve that Blot has. I got the idea from here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...24461

Boost valve up close (1/4" Universal Kit)

With all these gauges & valves in the car I figured it would be good to make a little quick reference card on what the operating parameters should be. I created one in Excel and keep a print out in the glove compartment. The values below are only an initial setting for me to follow. I may change them later:

Some pics of how the Aquamist is set up. It is the 1S system. By default it is set to activate at 10psi however I changed it to about 13psi. It suits my needs better and my water tank lasts longer:

This is what I keep in my trunk. Also notice the OEM radiator hoses I keep back there for various reasons:

I am unhappy with the way the 3" supplemental airbox Mod came out. I thin they could have done a better job routing it. There really isn't any room in the engine bay so it had to be routed underneath:

In the pic above I think with a longer hose it could have been pushed further to the right & up to avoid scraping on the ground. I'm also not too happy with the dimensions of the nozzle or the way it is attached to the foglight grill:

I will definitely be re-doing this in the near future but for now I can live with it. Just happy to have the car back.

Before I took it in to be worked on I drew a sketch of how I wanted the vacuum hoses attached to the TCV to look:

And here is what it looks like installed:

A pic of the vacuum hose routing for those that have asked about it in the past:

I have not installed the Oil Catch Tank yet because I need longer hoses to make it work. The only place I can effectively put it is here:

A shot of the finished engine bay

After spending 8 hours of the annual Zaino ritual, My R is nice & shiny:

I put Philips Silvervision bulbs in the rear turn signals. Nice little touch. Don't know if you can tell:

My odometer was not set back so I am currently at 23,500mi. I have not pushed it too hard as I want to take it easy for about 1,500 miles before venturing into the high boost & high RPM ranges. Going to check things & change oil at 25,000mi service. I also need time to get used to all the gauges being there. Its tough to read them all while you are pressing on the accelerator. So far A/F ratios are right where they need to be. The target is 12:1 to 12.5:1 and that's what I see most of the time while accelerating. When you let off the gas its pretty cool to see the gauge slide off the scale to the lean side. I can accelerate gradually all the way to 100 mph without a significant increase in boost. Cruising at high speeds I see boost at zero. Only when you press down on the accelerator does the needle jump, and jump extremely rapidly once you accelerate while at 3000 rpm. I get my max boost setting of 1.4 bar around 3500 rpm. Oil temp on the autobahn cruising at 90-100mph sits right at 110 celcius where it needs to be.

More impressions will come later. Right now I am testing the waters and becoming reacquainted with my R. I'll be watching things like the fuel delivery system (injectors, fuel sensor, pump, etc) very carefully as I don't have fail-safe mechanism to keep conditions from going too lean on full load.

Modified by ArtVandelay0023 at 1:28 PM 5-7-2007

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Re: PROJECT: My Phoenix R brought back to life (ArtVandelay0023)

Very nice work indeed. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Eventually I will be copying this idea.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: PROJECT: My Phoenix R brought back to life (Rangeball)

Can I ask a stupid question...
From your old post:

Where does the diverter valve go, how do I get one, how are is it to install on a stock system, and what power gains/longeivity am I looking at?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts

What turbo is that and what hp level are you expecting?

·
Registered
398 Posts

Hi Art,

Very nicely done! I didn't know about your engine ouch...I was curious if you are you running the stock turbo with your car or do you have the Garrett upgrade from MTE or some other upgraded turbo?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Re: PROJECT: My Phoenix R brought back to life (s40R)

VERY nice Art! And thanks for the detailed writeup and pictures...
-Aaron

·
Registered
575 Posts
Re: PROJECT: My Phoenix R brought back to life (AaronSoto)

Woow, that XENO gauge pod is impressive

Very good work all around the engine bay also, congratulations! I hope you'll enjoy your car for many years and we'll all learn for your well done project http://********************/smile/emthup.gif .

·
Registered
6,888 Posts

Holy bloody hell! That gauge pod is freaking hotness! That's awesome! Does the material match the stock material?

Nice to see the car up and running again. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif I sent you a PM

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

Great to see your ride back up. Lovely setup and installation except for the air hose.

How about routing it to the side of the upper air intake grill area?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

Art,

A work of art!

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ArtVandelay0023 »
Also notice the OEM radiator hoses I keep back there for various reasons
Ouch.

Nice work! And brilliant write up. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
Hoping this one lasts for you...

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: PROJECT: My Phoenix R brought back to life (Lightspeed)

This is way beyond what I will ever do to my car, hence the stupid question but what is the purpose of having both the Greedy relief valve and the boost valve? Don't they do the same thing?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: PROJECT: My Phoenix R brought back to life (Rangeball)

Quote, originally posted by Rangeball »
Very nice work indeed. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Eventually I will be copying this idea.

Beautiful work my friend! I am excited to see another silver R pushing the envelope. I imagine this pic above (the blue Greddy)is a product that was cut into the original piping above the engine(correct me if I am wrong) and you set a predetermined boost level (via spring set) and it opens up. Could you please verify my guess and post part #'s and prices along with where you purchased this product. And what it does (if my guess is not correct) Tastefully done bud....Rick

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: PROJECT: My Phoenix R brought back to life (Mash)

That's not the stock OTE piping.

That's the Greedy relief valve. It ranges from $110-$130 in price. P/N: 11501710

·
Registered
419 Posts
Oh man, this thing is wild! Nice work, really incredible. Very impressed with the amount of planning and work on this vehicle.

gb

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: PROJECT: My Phoenix R brought back to life (mike_c70)

Quote, originally posted by mike_c70 »
That's not the stock OTE piping.

That's the Greedy relief valve. It ranges from $110-$130 in price. P/N: 11501710
Could I fit one on the OEM pipe?

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: PROJECT: My Phoenix R brought back to life (AHI)

Warranty toast, take the build in the wild direction..... a very nice philosophy!

Nice job.

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: PROJECT: My Phoenix R brought back to life (Needsdecaf)

Wow man that is beautiful! how much did getting the 3 gauge pods set you back? once again, very nice ride you have there enjoy it!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: PROJECT: My Phoenix R brought back to life (DallasBladeYSL)

Quote, originally posted by DallasBladeYSL »
From your old post:

Where does the diverter valve go, how do I get one, how are is it to install on a stock system, and what power gains/longeivity am I looking at?

Diverter is the equivalent of your compressor bypass valve on the stock turbo. I got mine online from Stratmosphere. You only put it on a turbo that does not have a built-in CBV. So to incorporate it into the stock turbo makes no sense. Power gains are minimal. Don't know about longevity of this one. Should last a while though - longer than the Bosch would.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts