SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of pictures, its a little quiet here. Hopefully this thread give you some inspiration and motivation to keep your aging C70 on the road. I know Llyod's deja vu thead, does that for me.

Got another HPT Nautic Blue C70 Coupe Automatic in the garage parked next to my Convertible Nautic Blue HPT. The coupe is not mine, its my friends car.

Deal is If i can get this car back on the road running he will:

• Buy the parts, what ever is needed. Down to and including a parts car
  • Pay for the labor
  • Pay for the supplies
  • Pay for the upgrades
  • Basically blank check
  • I get to keep whats not needed from the parts car
If i cant get it running and road worthy, everything is on me.

So i started with getting a parts car.

2000 C70 HPT Convertible Manual. another project gone bad, 00 to 98 swap, thats another story for chilled man to tell. We all know why i wanted a vert parts car....project c70 trailer and manual swap parts :)

Parts car a few months ago

Parts car now a few days ago and will be until i finish this c70 project, manual swap a 98T5A I am getting next week from Cory/T5 power.

Here's what i started with: Basically car overheated from what it looks like.

Yesterday it looked like this in the morning @930am

in 2 hours By 1130am

Had lunch and took a break and resumed at 3pm

something messed this fender liner up, good thing there is a parts car

rear motor mount aka drivers side motor mount doesnt even exist. Someone has a extra part laying around somewhere

Getting ready to pull it @ 430pm

Pulling it out, pain in the ass doing it yourself

On the floor out of the car by 515pm, time to split the engine and the trans up.

New used motor ready to go in. It got new timing belt/water pump, acc belt, rear main seal, turbo drain o ring and water gasket, new coils, new plugs, oil dip stick gasket, intake mani gasket, cam seals are fine, rad hoses, heater hoses.. the usual stage zero zero when dropping in a new motor so it lasts another 100k.

What it looks like raped of its rngine and transmission.

two hearts side by side

Trans took apart and torque converter installed into transmission before engine and trans is bolted together. made sure it dropped into the notches. Important step if you didnt know this already. I never knew this until i read one of Adam/Oreo's thread on how he fubar'd a trans by installing it the way he saw it come off the engine.

Also at this time made a run to get some RED Loctite, thread locker to put on the torque converter bolts and on the flywheel bolts (these bolts are a 12point 17mm FYI). Dont make the mistake i did on my 99XC70, when i didnt know to use it and i grenaded a good trans when they backed out after 2000 miles :D imadumbass

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
New engine ready to drop in @ 6pm

Its back in by 645pm

Engine hoist goes back into storage for the next project

7pm Sitting and relaxing. mental check: going thru all the things i did today to make sure i put eveything back..

Not bad for a saturday with no kids, no interuptions, just me and a volvo.

Time to order parts, FCP here i come.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Good work man! Where did you get the new engine from? Your parts car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
pedals

How's it going,
Do you happen to have a clutch pedal available for sale? Mine just failed and I'm in dire need of one.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah new engine came from parts car, and the parts car is going to be my manual swap going into my 98 s70 t5a

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
yeah new engine came from parts car, and the parts car is going to be my manual swap going into my 98 s70 t5a
Good work man! Sounds awesome!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Today work started @ 10:30am till 5:30

• Put both front axles back in.
  • Replaced driver side front fender liner

Took it off the jack stands

After 30 minutes, got all these things wired back in. engine harness and trans harness back in.

Put back in the coolant bottle, power steering bottle and hoses

Started working on driver side airbox area

Got to the part that was all melted, the top of the engine harness. Cit it off and now time to splice in a new harness

Tools of a pro 12 volt expert..LOL, Master Butane torch, 3M Super 33 tape, Rosin core solder, and my trusty Snap on spring loaded wire cutters

Pre surgery

During surgury, almost done

Time to clean the spark plug holes out

Some bounty paper towels and compressed air nozzle.

Some CRC brake clean

Soak the area and used the paper towel to cover the hole and spray the air in. This way the compressed air vaporizes the cleaning fluid, then the towel soaks it up

Spark plug holes with all kinds of crap in it. #1 - 5

New spark plugs OEM Volvo and new coils

New coils installed and new harness installed

New radiator, newer condensor and newer intercooler. Old stuff was questionable since the body shop used the same stuff from the accident and never replaced them. the old radiator was leaking, maybe why this car overheated.

Put more stuff in

Header panel back in...its soo close

Filled it up with 2 gallons of coolant, dont have enough power steering fluid so...just going to crank it and see if it turns over.

Christmas lights came early! Cranked, it with no start. Remember that there was some wire going to the starter that i never saw before. with everything reinstalled, i had to contort my body to get this wire plugged back into the starter

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First start, Since it overheated, it blew the #4 15 amp fuse, fuel pump / coil fuse. That took all of 2 minutes to find!

Cranking video, i was like WTF..still no start? check fuel rail, there was fuel squirting out

Second start try video

beast is alive, seems like there is a proble with the ETM. Idles real bad, dont know if its because its been sitting or what. Need to get more fluids before i try it again. going to do a oil change next before i try to run it again. Dont want to come this far and have something mess up now because of stupidity!

YES i win the bet!

Picture of exhaust coming out of the tail pipe!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
today it moved out of the garage.

it ran like **** before. then it wouldnt start after a few more times.

Turns out that the exhaust cam sensor wheel was put back wrong. Only way i think it was put back wrong is, someone did cam seals on it and reinstalled that round pick-up thing in this next picture back wrong. if you look at it, its croked

Here is what it did to the cam sensor

Here is what it does to the cam sensor pick up

New one installed correctly

After i put a new cam sensor in, i cleared the codes and it idles flawlessly.

Buttoned it all up this is what my driveway looks like now..Mini gets to go back into the garage.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Awesome work man! How does it drive?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it drives like ass, needs to goto alignment shop :), it also needs to get brakes bleeded and rotors resurfaced or new ones installed.

besides that popped the tracs button off and it does a one legged burn out

·
Registered
168 Posts
So - the intuitive questions are:

1) What did you/your friend spend in parts?
2) How much labor do you think you put is (as an obvious S.M.E.)
3) What was the car worth as scrap/parts before - what do you think you would pay for it now (again, as a S.M.E. and "enthusiast")?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts