SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is some of the work I have done so far.... again gritty images due to Treo P.O.S. camera.

Its a slow job...but the results should be nice.....I want everything to be fairly concealed until needed...I would really like to hear feedback on what I have done so far and any ideas that yall may have.

1. Lighted round rocker switches by drivers right leg

2. New stereo and gps

3. Another pic of GPS in action

4. Whelen talons leds

5. Whelen talons superbright LEDS

·
Registered
550 Posts
Re: Progression of personal s80 Fire/EMS vehicle (Copeland)

Are you going to install a siren?

I like the rear LEDs. Its a nice look.

If you wanted to have fun with the volvo wiring you could make it so the regular headlights and tailights flash (left to right) when you turn on the switch.

Luke

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

OK, I don't get it.

If you're a firefighter, great, but why do you need to add this equipment to your personal vehicle. Are you an on call reserve?

Just seems like a lot of liability having all that on the car.

Not trying to sound rude...

Tim

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Progression of personal s80 Fire/EMS vehicle (t6tim)

I work with a Vol. Fire Dept and if someone is in the area while not on shift we respond to the calls "P.O.V." which is someones private car. Lights sirens etc. I also drive a lot and tend to see numerous amounts of bad car accidents with injuries or people who after the wreck place themselves and others in more danger. I usually stop at accidents like this an render medical aid or try to avert traffic away from the wreck as to prevent other injury.
I am not cleared to go direct to calls yet in my "POV" until I am done with my probationary period at my dept. These lights have on numerous occasions helped prevent further accidents or injury.
-Jordan
(sorry about any typos; using my treo)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

Interesting,

I'm a cop and would NEVER want that kind of liability on my personal car. How does it work in regards to your insurance. Does the county, city, local gov. cover you?

Do you have to attend an EVOC course or similar?

Tim

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe our S.O.G. books say to drive at "due regard" I am not sure about the insurance; none of us report what we have in our cars to our insurance companies so we are not deemed as "emergency vehicles. Most of us have an EVOC course under our belt since the majority of us our EMT's. But as I stated before I have not quite been cleared yet and have not crossed that bridge.

-Jordan

(Copeland <3's t6tims S80)

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Copeland)

more work done.....

1. Siren amplifier mounted in spare tire region

2. Traffic backer flasher system (brakes and reverse lights at 2.4 FPS)

3. Switches for siren 2 momentary (airhorn, phaser) and one 3 way rocker for wail and yelp

4. Front end with siren installed (had to cut to make room
)

5. Close-up of siren

·
Registered
688 Posts
i like the grill work. that's what i'm aiming for once it stops raining
. where did you get the laptop mount? i have a PDA mount but it's not enough sometimes.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man....I know everyone in this forum thinks I am nuts for the work I am doing..... The laptop mount I bought from autolaptoplink and it sucks...I had to do a lot of work on it to get it how I wanted it... and the guy charges 80 bucks for it and he just went to lowes and spent like 30 for parts..... nothing special but it works...

how do the new center caps look on your stock wheels.....not the pegs but the arks?

·
Registered
688 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Copeland »
Thanks man....I know everyone in this forum thinks I am nuts for the work I am doing..... The laptop mount I bought from autolaptoplink and it sucks...I had to do a lot of work on it to get it how I wanted it... and the guy charges 80 bucks for it and he just went to lowes and spent like 30 for parts..... nothing special but it works...

how do the new center caps look on your stock wheels.....not the pegs but the arks?

awe.... you do what you want to your car, screw the iconoclastic bull.

i got a set of new center caps, but not quite the same as the ones on the pegs, for the arks, they're yet another species of center caps. but i haven't put them on yet. the arks will be my winter set, and i haven't set on a snowtire yet. i have a spare set of 3DS monitors for the winter set, so i want to do it all at once. the caps i did get should look better than stock, since one of mine was roughed up bad.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and what about your xenon lights.... if you dont mind me asking how much were they? How was the install? any problems? would you advise thier purchase

·
Registered
688 Posts

bulbs are a jiffy to replace once you learn to do it blind
you can't see a thing, except the fog's and those i did on a lift just to save my back, but they're possible to do with a jack and carefull attention to plastic fatigue. put i'll try to post some VADIS shots that help you see what's going on in the dark.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sky...
I started to think about lights etc... and went to autolumination and purchsed some xenon for the int of my car instead of that gaudy yellow....

It looks SOOO much better....just need to replace the dome lights which I just ordered and the int should be given a whole new life.... ill post pics if you want once they are installed

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Copeland »
more work done.....

1. Siren amplifier mounted in spare tire region

2. Traffic backer flasher system (brakes and reverse lights at 2.4 FPS)

Very sloppy unprofessional wiring IMHO. There's no mechanical strain relief on the siren amp external connector wiring, the wires aren't tied down or protected mechanically in any way, shape or form, the amp power wires drape directly across the spare tire and not even around it, so you'll put strain on the wires if you or one of your buddies or the dealer has to take the spare out, which you have to do if you want to check the inflation pressure of the spare every year. (A neater instalallation would have put the siren amp behind the trunk trim panels where the rear fuse block and 10-disc CD changer go, then the wires could be routed with the main trunk harness along the lower trunk trim panel and tie-wrapped neatly with the existing harness to completely protect the new wiring from chafing and wear.)

I won't even get started on the crude appearance of the laptop mount to the seat with the galvinized plumbing fittings (shudder) and single chrome bolt to hold it down. Volvo does sell a laptop computer seat mount for the passenger's seat, you know. It can be removed easily when someone wants to sit in the seat.

But that's just my 2 cents. It's not my car. You can drill as many holes into your console as you like.

But you may want to rethink bragging about the work you're showing the world here as it leans toward the amateurish category. (again, IMHO)

Best of luck.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The wires are since the photo have all been tucked away (the pic was taken right after the install). The laptop stand on the other hand still has the galvanized steel, which will soon be painted.

I will have to check into the Volvo laptop mount.
I am curious as to what you meant by "drilling holes into your console."

Thanks for your opinion. I honestly never though about placing the amplifier behind the panels

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

I guess the only reason I mentioned the wiring is because a co-worker of mine actually died from a bad wire about 10 years ago when the main hot lead from the battery grounded against the firewall, melted in two, and the half of the wire inside the cabin came loose and fell against the cabin insulation, catching it on fire. This happened to be in the guy's airplane right after takeoff about 1000 feet up. My mechanic said he looked up, saw flames in the cockpit, then in inner canopy went jet black with soot. They landed in someone's back yard shortly thereafter. The passenger died right there, the pilot (my co-worker) died a week later from the 80% coverage of third degree burn damage to his skin.

the sad thing is that had the proper wire and properly insulated firewall feedthrough been used, this could have been avoided. But the cheapskates that had moved the battery from the aft baggage compartment up front to the engine didn't use FAA approved wire, the insulation cracked, and started a 'soft' short against the firewall. The soft short drained the battery, and so the kid thought he just had a bad battery and replaced it. Sadly, in the act of replacing the battery, the 'soft' short became a 'hard' short right after takeoff and allowed full battery current to run down the wire into the firewall, melting the wire in two.

The other problem was there was no relay disconnect (as there are on modern aircraft) between the battery + terminal and the master switch on the instrument panel. So there was no way he could have shut the power off if he tried.

So treat your wiring with respect. It may save your life some day.

I did have a scary thought. You did put a fuse on the hot lead to the flasher box and siren amp, right? I mean, if you didn't, and if there was a short, the wire would melt and start a fire in the car of the guy who's trying to get to the firehouse to put out a fire somewhere, so there'd be two fires the firehouse would have to deal with.

Oh, the irony that would be. If someone didn't get hurt, that would actually be funny. But if the fire in your car caused a delayed response to the real emergency you were responding to and caused even further injury/death, then that would be, well, you get the picture.

So tell me there IS a fuse on each of those wires, right?

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend...

Yes, EVERY hot lead is fused. Radar, flasher module, LEDS, siren, etc....

also I painted the laptop stand...is this any better

1 - 17 of 17 Posts