SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

Hope all of you are doing great!

So I've been slowly repairing and bringing my 01' Volvo S60 T5 to stage 0. Here are some pics (bottom of the post) for those of you interested and what has been done so far:

1. New timing belt and water pump (kit from FCP)
2. Oil filter
3. New rims including some used yet functional tires
4. New lower steering u-joint (or lower steering column if you prefer to call it that) directly from Volvo. The reason I replaced it, is due to the fact that the old one had become rusted and made the steering loose, and if I let the car sit over night the steering would be hard to turn. I'm just glad it wasn't an issue with any of the joints on the suspension.
5. De-badged the front (the badge was dirty and had something growing inside... :(

My next steps are too:

1. Replace the passenger headlight (the whole unit), I'm looking to take it off from a parts-car, I don't want to have one aftermarket and one genuine headlight, since they are a little beat up, and unless I will be replacing both, I wouldn't want much discrepancy between the two.
2. Replace the servo-cover on the transmission, I have already bought the part, just waiting for the right moment to get it in a garage and fix that.
3. Fix up the paint on the driver's side along with the fender, including detailing and rust repair. It looks like someone had scratched the a large part of the front left side or caused a little bit of a fender bender, and had it filled and repainted. But the paint quality and job was done very cheaply, I can see the difference very clearly, and the clear-coat is actually peeling off on the driver's door... :facepalm:
5. After all that I'm just going to continue replacing small things such as the serpentine belt, spark plugs, some PCV and other emission system hoses, cleaning out the turbo, and getting my ETM checked (I'm hoping just hoping that it doesn't need replacement, but probably will).

There is one big issue that I still need to address, and that is the car pulls to the right ever so slightly I still have no clue what's causing this. And after driving at high speeds for a short period of time, when I get down to 40-70km/h (~25-45mph) the left front side of the vehicle feels like riding bumpy. I know it's a bad explanation, but to put in another way as though the left front wheels has become less circular and more oval like. I have absolutely no clue what this is. :confused:

Anyway, thanks for reading guys, and I just thought like sharing the progress as it has been quiet some time since my last post! :)

Edit: posting image links: http://imgur.com/bDzKoUU http://imgur.com/s1CDj9p http://imgur.com/aPIiKCc

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
There is one big issue that I still need to address, and that is the car pulls to the right ever so slightly I still have no clue what's causing this. And after driving at high speeds for a short period of time, when I get down to 40-70km/h (~25-45mph) the left front side of the vehicle feels like riding bumpy. I know it's a bad explanation, but to put in another way as though the left front wheels has become less circular and more oval like. I have absolutely no clue what this is. :confused:

Anyway, thanks for reading guys, and I just thought like sharing the progress as it has been quiet some time since my last post! :)
The vibration parts, sounds like it could be a bent wheel or out of round tire. You could also have some wearing lower control arm bushings. A bad or excessively worn tire can also cause a pull or drift. Check the tires and wheel for being bent and out of round, usually spin them while on the vehicle and look at the inside of the wheel and observe it for trueness. If true, watch the tire tread at a 90 degree angle while spinning it. If it hops up and down you may have bad or damaged belts in the tire. Lower control arm bushings and tie rods should also be checked. If all that seems good, I would rotate the tires side to side in front and see if pull gets better or worse. If it stays the same, either you have a worn part or its just out of alignment. Check all tire pressures too. One low tire in fron or rear can cause excessive pulling or drifting, so can on over inflated tire.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply!

Well I did have it hoisted up and checked all around when I was doing my safety check and changing the u-joint. Everything is in order with the suspension, and before having the wheels put on I had them rotated and re-weighted. Someone had told me that it could also be a bad seat-spring, or the shocks are going out. I had checked the tie-rods way back when buying the car, I tried to manually move the wheels left and right to see if they were loose, but nope they don't move.

The pulling could definitely be caused by a bad tire, I'm hoping to replace them as soon as I can ($$). And one of my tires is actually a different brand from the others on the back left wheel, the tread depth, size, and wear is still the same for all of the wheels. But I will definitely go and have the tires checked again by someone else, and have my alignment checked as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts