SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 XC90 Inscription. There are 4 options for profiles. I have one for myself, my wife has one and my daughter has one. I have locked the profiles via the Sensus so that they cannot be changed. My profile and my wife's profile are both tied to individual keys. My daughter has a profile is not tied to a key as she does not have one. When my daughter is driving she selects her profile from the Sensus and everything sets up correctly (seats mirrors etc). However, when I get back into the car the seating position does not change. When I then select my profile from the Sensus - nothing changes...I then have to manually reset the seating position before driving. It is as if my profile (despite being locked) is being overwritten by my daughters.

Anyone else seen this issue? I have an appointment with the dealer on the 17th as I know that there is a software update available and I am hoping that the change makes a difference but figured I would check with other owners to try to get some insight.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I have this issue everyday. It seems like my wife doesn't use a profile but just change seat. Because the profile doesn't change, next time I come to the car it is my profile with her seat position. I actually found out if I lock and unlock by door handle, the seat position moves to hers. It is a little annoying but I just live with it. I will use this as excuse to get Sensus update in future.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
You might try this sequence and see what happens
1. Lock your car with your key FOB and wait a minute;
2. Unlock your car on the driver’s side;
3. Unlock your driver profile that is associated with your key FOB;
4. Set your seat, mirror and HUD position, then press your seat memory “M”’button and assigned number (e.g., 1)
5. Set Your My Car lock/unlock settings to open all doors;
6. Lock your profile to your assign key FOB;
7. Lock your car, and wait a minute;
8. Unlock your car, turn on the car and move the seat and mirror to simulate another driver’s settings;
9. Lock the car with your key FOB and wait a
minute; and finally
10. Unlock your car with your key FOB and keep the driver’s door open.

Did your driver’s seat move back to your setting? If not, you may have an issue that an update would cure.

I don’t have the issues that you are experiencing, but that I drive 98% of the time. Also, I have my wife’s key FOB set to only open her door. If she were to open her passenger door first with All Doors set to open, then her key may be overriding your profile.

Just some speculation in hopes of trying to narrow it resolve your issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
108 Posts
@ibisboy1 If you were the one unlocking the vehicle with your key from day one when you setup your daughter’s driving profile then why wonder why Sensus is acting up?!

To refresh the mind,

Each driver profile will enable you to your current settings (with the exception of the Individual Drive Mode) as your profile so when you drive your Volvo, with your profile selected, your preferences will be set. Once you leave your profile unprotected you’re allowing any changes made along the way to override your current settings and update your profile, but you already said that you locked your profile. There is also an option to save your profile to your specific key as well so when you get in the car your settings will be loaded.

When you received both keys with the car you had the option to set two named profiles and one Guest profile, in this case your daughter. If your Volvo was equipped with three keys then you will have the ability to set three named profiles and one Guest profile. Here’s a quick reminder guide,

To set a profile:

Select Settings
Select System
Select Driver Profile
Tap on the desired Profile
Enter desired name
Save Profile
Select Edit and from here you have the option to "Protect My Profile" so all of your current settings are saved and cannot be changed until you unlock it and also "Connect to Key" to save your profile to your current key.

Any settings set prior to creating a permanent profile will automatically be saved to the Guest Profile.

To select a previously set Profile:

Select Profile
Tap on desire Profile to switch to the corresponding settings

To reset a Profile:

Select Settings
Select System
Select Factory Reset
Select Reset Personal Settings
Select your desired option

Please see the list below of settings that are saved to each Driver Profile:

Sensus Settings:

Language
Audio Settings
Radio: favorites, etc.
External audio sources: Bluetooth, etc
Telephone: ring signals, volume level
Navigation: saved destinations

Car Settings:

Data Sharing
Exterior Lighting: automatic exterior lighting, cornering lights
Interior Lighting: mood lighting
Instrument Panel: format and units
Door Mirrors: folding, angling when reversing
Lock Functions: valet locking, keyless unlocking
Parking Brake: automatic, activation at engine cut-out
Seat Settings
Volvo On Call
City Safety: distance warning
Head-Up Display
Climate Settings (for the driver side; if the temperatures are synched, the passenger setting will also be stored. Note: If using remote start, the setting will default to the factory settings until the car is started with the key in the car.)

Some not so good solutions for your case:

1. Install the Volvo On Call app on your daughter’s cell so she can unlock the vehicle using your wife’s email to login and ask them both to adjust “themselves” to equal settings usage so they can both use the vehicle with the same setup; Or

2. Next time ask your dealer to “assign” your digital key (the valet key) to your daughter’s profile so she can use with her profile when needed. That’s a request the dealer have to send to Volvo Cars USA and might take forever. However, make sure you keep your keyfob 100yards away while she setting up her profile.

3. Buy a third key(not cheap though) from the dealer and let your daughter set up her profile.

...just wanted to help.

Volvo for Life

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I have to believe there is some corner case not handled well by Sensus. For my case, my profile is tied to my key fob, locked. My wife's profile is tied to her key fob, unlocked though.
Still my seat position saved and locked in profile could be overwritten by hers.

I just don't want to spend time to repro it by unlock, start car, lock, switch key fob and do it again. It sounds so stupid for me to do so.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
The objective is to validate the error so that it can be re-produced and corrected with a software update if warranted. Eliminating the likelihood of a user-induced error facilitates the process of getting a fix. The steps above are onetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have a 2017 XC90 Inscription. There are 4 options for profiles. I have one for myself, my wife has one and my daughter has one. I have locked the profiles via the Sensus so that they cannot be changed. My profile and my wife's profile are both tied to individual keys. My daughter has a profile is not tied to a key as she does not have one. When my daughter is driving she selects her profile from the Sensus and everything sets up correctly (seats mirrors etc). However, when I get back into the car the seating position does not change. When I then select my profile from the Sensus - nothing changes...I then have to manually reset the seating position before driving. It is as if my profile (despite being locked) is being overwritten by my daughters.

Anyone else seen this issue? I have an appointment with the dealer on the 17th as I know that there is a software update available and I am hoping that the change makes a difference but figured I would check with other owners to try to get some insight.

Thanks for any help.
Why not give your daughter the tag key and let her tie her profile to it?

Just a thought......just as an FYI I am not having this problem at all and I have 3 profiles set. My only issue is when my wife gets to the car first and it establishes her profile when I’m driving, but its a nitpic from my perspective......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
845 Posts
If only your seat preference isn't protected, can't you save it under (for example) the first profile button on your door, and restore it quickly that way?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Volvo's driver profile system is fundamentally flawed and you are not likely to ever get it to work as intended 100% of the time. The best I've achieved is about 80% accuracy by locking the car before switching drivers and only allowing one key to be in the vicinity of the car at any given time (procedures that aren't required for any other car I have ever owned or driven). Pay attention to which profile is loading as you open the driver's door and be sure to override it quickly if it's the wrong one (by touching the name of the incorrect profile that's loading) or you will be locked out of profile changes until Sensus finishes booting up.

Since I'm the secondary driver of this vehicle, I finally decided that it wasn't worth fighting with Sensus any longer over driver profiles. I set my profile to be exactly the same as my wife's with the exception of seat and mirror settings which can be easily overridden by the door buttons when Sensus chooses the wrong profile.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I wanted to provide an update. I found that my daughter's profile was not protected. Obviously, this should not be an issue. However, I found that when I protected her profile the issue resolved. It seems that there is a bug with the Sensus software. It is almost as if one of the profiles is not protected it applies that setting to the other profiles and allows changes to be applied. I will update if I find that the issue returns. Hopefully what I found will help others who experience issues.

Thanks again.

Stan

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can verify this as well. I had all sorts of random actions from the profiles until I locked the profile on both my key and my wife's. It now works as expected all the time. Even if she gets into the passenger side of the car before me, as soon as I touch the drivers door handle, the profile sets to me and everything works as expected. All of the profiles need to be locked.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts