SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although MY2019 is a way quieter than MY2016 or 2017, it is mainly due to better engine insulation. The wheel/road noise is unfortunately still quite audible, even more when one changes 19''winter tyres to 20''summer tyres - especially on highways etc.

I decided to try a full professional sound insulation again. This time I approached a different company than with the previous car (where the difference was not really so audible). These people seemed to be quite proficient in that field and also very enthusiastic and deeply involved - showing me the very best materials, their structure, the way to insulate, sending me online reports etc. They made full possible sound insulation of the wheel arches, floor, doors and space around - in a way (as they said) that cannot be already made any better (it took 3 days).

I was still a bit sceptical about the result after the experience 2 years ago ... But in the end, I could see (or rather hear) that a different approach brought a different result ... The road and wheel noise was really quite reduced and when driving on the highway, the air noise was somehow more audible than the road noise. And it was not just a subjective feeling - I measured the cabin noise at given spots and speeds before and now again. The noise was constantly about 3 dB lower now, that is quite a lot ...

Of course, it could be still better, but this is the present limit. Much better than before.

It is a bit embarrassing to see that Volvo actually did not make any substantial sound insulation of the doors, floor etc. Naked or just few symbolic "cloths". Which I don't understand much. I would happily pay 2-3000 EUR extra for extra sound insulation "package", while it would be so much easier and more effective to make when assembling the car in the factory ...

The cost of this sound insulation was about 1400 EUR.

Due to this extra sound insulation, the audio also sounds a bit better now (door insulation etc.)

Here are the (horror :) pictures from the process: https://www.facebook.com/karel.brzobohaty.351/media_set?set=a.194109511568910&type=3

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tell me you have Bowers & Wilkins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had Bowers Wilkins in my previous MY2017. Now I have Harman Kardon Premium.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the B&W in my 2016, and my wife has the Harmon Kardon in her 2019. I must say the Harmon Kardon is impressive!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the B&W in my 2016, and my wife has the Harmon Kardon in her 2019. I must say the Harmon Kardon is impressive!

Yes, HK Premium sounds really good. I compared it in detail with B&W before buying the new car and did not find any reason to pay 3000 extra for B&W. They sound very similar. B&W just looks a bit better ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts