SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how long it takes to build the XC90? Once you are given a production week (in my case is week 47) how long until the car is "factory complete"? In other words how long does the car stay on the production line?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Based on what I saw during the factory tour (Overseas Delivery) I would estimate a couple of hours MAXIMUM. The various components come from vendors in production-line order (windshield #1 in box goes on car X, #2 on X+1, #3 on X+2, etc.; the cars could be different models or trim levels of the same model).

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Does anybody know how long it takes to build the XC90? Once you are given a production week (in my case is week 47) how long until the car is "factory complete"? In other words how long does the car stay on the production line?
Anywhere from an hour or so (as dhorvath mentioned) to a few days, if there is a shortage of certain components.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Based on what I saw during the factory tour (Overseas Delivery) I would estimate a couple of hours MAXIMUM.
I'm guessing that's just for assembly alone as it couldn't possibly include chassis paint also. Is COL status pre-paint or post-paint?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Anywhere from an hour or so (as dhorvath mentioned) to a few days, if there is a shortage of certain components.
Hey Yannis,
My has been reported COL since 10/02 and a query has resulted in no answer as of today... Is this normal or is there a shortage of parts?
Thanks,
Serg

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Hey Yannis,
My has been reported COL since 10/02 and a query has resulted in no answer as of today... Is this normal or is there a shortage of parts?
Thanks,
Serg
Serg,

Yes, it COULD be that they are waiting for a specific part or component...I am sure it will get moving again, very soon.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Serg,

Yes, it COULD be that they are waiting for a specific part or component...I am sure it will get moving again, very soon.
Thanks my friend!!! I appreciate your feedback!!!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Wouldn't they hold off even starting the vehicle down the line if it couldn't be completed (due to missing parts)?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Wouldn't they hold off even starting the vehicle down the line if it couldn't be completed (due to missing parts)?
No, as that would throw off the global production queue.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the very useful responses. So assuming no parts are delayed is it right to assume that form the beginning of production (when the car gets a VIN) to when the car is finished ("factory complete") it could be as little as one or two days? Or should one count more time for painting and testing? I understand that after "factory complete" a car can be randomly retained for testing (which may cause further delays). However, I am only interested in the time that should pass between the beginning of production and when the car is ready for shipping, assuming it is not randomly selected for testing after completion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts