SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an accurate idea of how many models were manufactured and which countries they ended up in?

I don't suppose anyone has any idea on the proportion of different coloured R's as well?

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
At one point I think VCOA or whatever company it is got some people some numbers of THEIR exact trim(exterior, interior, gearbox, options). I would like to know how many of my year/ext./int./tranny models were made. I'm guessing not more than 800 in the US match.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
11k~ s60Rs in North America IIRC
Ahhh so that's quite a high number then? Having said that, North America is a VERY big place, so maybe a small number relative to the size?

The only reason i am so interested is: in the UK, the MAXIMUM number for sale at any point is approximately 6-7 models. I even checked the other day and between 'Pistonheads' (a very popular car selling website here) and ebay UK there were a total of just 2 for sale. This covers England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

I know the UK is small, but you could always put your hand on an equivalent age M3, M5, S4 etc... so our cars seem like a rarity in comparison.

Does anyone have a rough idea of the proportions of various colours of the original amount? Again, in this country, i have only ever seen two passion red SR's... mine and someone elses! However, green/black/silver/grey seem much more common but i've never seen a blue one on our roads.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At one point I think VCOA or whatever company it is got some people some numbers of THEIR exact trim(exterior, interior, gearbox, options). I would like to know how many of my year/ext./int./tranny models were made. I'm guessing not more than 800 in the US match.
Agreed, it would be interesting to see some numbers and stats etc.

I used to own a 1998 Vauxhall Vectra GSi and each GSi model had a specific build number so it was possible to not only know how many were made originally, but how many were made in certain colours and the owners forum even kept a register of current owners etc and GSi models that had been destroyed due to crash damage etc.

·
Registered
949 Posts
S60R
2004 Production Details:

USA - 3800
Canada - 350
Mexico - 50
World - 7500

From what I previously read these numbers dropped every year. With 4200 going to N.A. For MY04 that only leaves 3200 for all of Europe.

I found a place that claims to have specific production numbers for options and colors, but I will need my laptop to get on it. I'll update later.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
S60R
2004 Production Details:

USA - 3800
Canada - 350
Mexico - 50
World - 7500

From what I previously read these numbers dropped every year. With 4200 going to N.A. For MY04 that only leaves 3200 for all of Europe.

I found a place that claims to have specific production numbers for options and colors, but I will need my laptop to get on it. I'll update later.
Great, i'd like to know colours/options/transmissions etc.

WOW 3,300 for the whole of Europe really isn't many at all. They did run from 2003 didn't they? Also, do we know which countries/continents they went to? Obviously at present they could be anywhere due to import/export etc, but, i wonder which countries they were actually sold in originally?

:)

·
Registered
949 Posts
I'll try to find out. Here it seems most of them are up north where AWD is more popular. I've only seen 1 R in the Houston, TX area aside from the 2 I've owned. My first R was imported from a Carmax up north and the second I picked up in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try to find out. Here it seems most of them are up north where AWD is more popular. I've only seen 1 R in the Houston, TX area aside from the 2 I've owned. My first R was imported from a Carmax up north and the second I picked up in Oklahoma.
Ahhh so people tend to utilise the 4WD advantage then.

I drove to Northern Ireland to buy mine, which involved driving to Scotland and getting a boat across to Ireland. I think the total journey was around 600-700 miles, not much to you guys in North America, but to us guys that's a long way to go and get a car.

The only other ones i know of round here are a grey one and a green one, but i'm talking a 20-25 miles radius (again, a long way in my country) and i've only ever seen ONE other red one on the road and he must have been passing through, as he was following a sat nav and i haven't seen it since... not really the sort of car you would miss if you saw it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts