SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I'm in the market in getting a used vehicle for my daughter and came across a '12 S60 T5. The price is good but my gut tells me something is not quite right. I know I've read here on the forum that certain '12 models have engine (excessive oil burning) problems. So I don't want to experience any of that.

What is the process of getting dealer service records for a vehicle? I'm not talking the one that comes with CarFAX but the extensive one that the dealer inputs and has access to. I tried calling my dealer but the service dept. is closed on weekends. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
When they open, go and ask them to run a Warranty Inquiry and/or look up service records.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When they open, go and ask them to run a Warranty Inquiry and/or look up service records.
Will they give me a problem of running the inquiry since I'm not the owner of the vehicle? Thanks for the quick response!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Best if you can get the VIN, then you can get everything Volvo has on the vehicle - recalls, TSBs, warranty and, if done at a dealer, post warranty service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Will they give me a problem of running the inquiry since I'm not the owner of the vehicle? Thanks for the quick response!
Should not have a problem. You are not asking for any confidential and/or privileged info.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hello - I'm in the market in getting a used vehicle for my daughter and came across a '12 S60 T5. The price is good but my gut tells me something is not quite right. I know I've read here on the forum that certain '12 models have engine (excessive oil burning) problems. So I don't want to experience any of that.

What is the process of getting dealer service records for a vehicle? I'm not talking the one that comes with CarFAX but the extensive one that the dealer inputs and has access to. I tried calling my dealer but the service dept. is closed on weekends. I appreciate any help. Thanks!
If the VIN is in the affected range you may want a warranty on the engine included. Many are speculating that Volvo *may* have to extend warranties on these engines. No guarantee they will though.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Do not buy a '12 T5. Ticking time bomb.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Do not buy a '12 T5. Ticking time bomb.
It isn't every engine! I'm in the VIN range. 65K miles, oil changed at 7500 mile interval with full synth (upgraded during S&S, on my own afterward), early interval changes early on as I was oil-testing/extending intervals up to the Volvo-official, I'm mid-point in a change now, checked oil when getting gas Saturday -- so only a 5-minute draindown period, am 20% above the bottom "OK" mark.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went over to the dealer and got all the info. Car has been regularly maintained and serviced by the dealer so I asked my service tech if he would have any reservations purchasing it and he said no. Plus it still has a little over 3K miles on the S&S. Now I just need to see how much an extended warranty would cost.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Went over to the dealer and got all the info. Car has been regularly maintained and serviced by the dealer so I asked my service tech if he would have any reservations purchasing it and he said no. Plus it still has a little over 3K miles on the S&S. Now I just need to see how much an extended warranty would cost.

Thanks everyone!
Definetly price shop the warranty. I was quoted $500 less by Steingold Volvo, versus my local dealer.

·
Registered
277 Posts
See if you can get the dealer to Certify the vehicle. That way you'll get the CPO Warranty, which is excellent!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts