SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had problems with the sliding lid on the small compartment above the shifter coming off of it's tracks? At the dealer in both models we have test driven the lid gets stuck or is off of it's tracks. I know it has a spring lock/release but this appears to be of poor construction if the small sample size of 2 cars we have test driven both have issues. Small annoyance but was curious if anyone else is having this issue.

Compartment just above the shifter in the picture below.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't have my vehicle yet but my guess is that since those were demo vehicles it could be as a result of people not familiar with the operation forcing the compartment door open and causing problems with the mechanism.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Mine has been fine so far and I have had the vehicle for 4 months now. Of course I almost never use that compartment because it's so small. I maybe store some change there for meters.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
4 months ownership here as well and no problems with it, but like citivas, I don't use it every day due to its small capacity.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
The demo I sat in had it broken as well. I'm wondering if if gets forced open by simply pushing forward hard by potential buyers exploring the vehicle. I guess that is what warranty is for, but the wood makes it very expensive if it is not durable in the long run.....Lexus had a wood cupholder door that failed often....it was only $700 to replace!!!! Designers seemingly forget that placing word trim in certain places does indeed have ownership drawbacks!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The demo I sat in had it broken as well. I'm wondering if if gets forced open by simply pushing forward hard by potential buyers exploring the vehicle. I guess that is what warranty is for, but the wood makes it very expensive if it is not durable in the long run.....Lexus had a wood cupholder door that failed often....it was only $700 to replace!!!! Designers seemingly forget that placing word trim in certain places does indeed have ownership drawbacks!
Indeed! The interior designer Robin Page used to work for Bentley, so we're lucky it's not made of solid gold!

·
Registered
431 Posts
got my car since mid July and sofar the little drawer is working fine but, to be honest, this is not exactly the mostly used component in my car :D

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My girlfriend got in the car and almost immediately opened that compartment then tried to pull it back out (it closes by pushing in to release the catch). She saw my wide eyed stare and stopped but I can see how the mechanism can easily be broken. It probably would not be a major repair either, prob just the mechanism. And mine has survived the small amount of abuse it's seen so it's not like it's guaranteed to break.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
My girlfriend got in the car and almost immediately opened that compartment then tried to pull it back out (it closes by pushing in to release the catch). She saw my wide eyed stare and stopped but I can see how the mechanism can easily be broken. It probably would not be a major repair either, prob just the mechanism. And mine has survived the small amount of abuse it's seen so it's not like it's guaranteed to break.
I agree, we tried it yesterday at the dealer and worked easily if you just push it not pull. Works the same like in our 2015 F150 similar compartment set up :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
FE Owner and mine is broken. Not sure if it's off the tracks or something is broken. Taking it in to the dealer in a couple of weeks. I probably opened it about 5 times total...

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
When I was looking at the car at the dealer, this cover was opened. So I tried to pull it to close it and surely doesn't work. Most people will close by pulling from intuition. Push-and-bounce-back is for buttons, not for door handles. I don't remember see any other door or cover any where else using push-and-bounce-back to close.

·
Registered
348 Posts
When I was looking at the car at the dealer, this cover was opened. So I tried to pull it to close it and surely doesn't work. Most people will close by pulling from intuition. Push-and-bounce-back is for buttons, not for door handles. I don't remember see any other door or cover any where else using push-and-bounce-back to close.
??? Plenty of cars with sliding or hinged covers use a spring assist to open AND close: Range Rover, Bentley, Mercedes, VW, Audi....and so on....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yup demo I sat in had a broken door too. My guess is the dealerships will be fixing a lot of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
I use mine quite often... I keep my mailbox key there. It always works fine, but I have never tried to force it open...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts