SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have any experience dealing with Gen 2 Haldex systems ? The volvo dealer says I need to replace the whole diff and Haldex as they can't tell which component has failed.

I can find a used Diff - but it carries only parts warranty. New it is A$8k.

There must be a way of diagnosing the fault. ( I have changed the oil pressure sensor $460)

It seems ridiculous that at 55,000 km the thing just stops working.

Can anybody help?

·
Registered
668 Posts
What are the symptoms? What is the model year/ engine? I, having no expreince with the rear end of an XC90, have a hard time believing that the diff and haldex unit are so intertwined that it is not possible to tell which one has failed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally agree Raymansean! Which is why I have been hunting for some advice on this forum. Just today I had a breakthrough with a new Volvo dealer on the Northern Beaches of Sydney. After paying Syndey's biggest Volvo dealer $200 to diagnose the fault and being told i need to replace the lot for $8,500- I tried this new dealership- they worked with Volvo technical and identified the fault was the electric oil pump. $1,200 to replace it and BANG!!! we have Haldex!
What the original dealer did was tantamount to FRAUD - and I intend to make them pay ...and dearly!

My advice to anyone with a HALDEX issue- map it clear to the dealer that you know about the scam! My 2007 V8 has only 50,000kms (30,000 miles) and it was obvious that the whole diff had not failed!

If you are reading this in Australia - go to G Brothers Volvo in Narabeen- the service manager Ben is the real deal. He even called the technician in to speak to me about the car.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Totally agree Raymansean! Which is why I have been hunting for some advice on this forum. Just today I had a breakthrough with a new Volvo dealer on the Northern Beaches of Sydney. After paying Syndey's biggest Volvo dealer $200 to diagnose the fault and being told i need to replace the lot for $8,500- I tried this new dealership- they worked with Volvo technical and identified the fault was the electric oil pump. $1,200 to replace it and BANG!!! we have Haldex!
What the original dealer did was tantamount to FRAUD - and I intend to make them pay ...and dearly!

My advice to anyone with a HALDEX issue- map it clear to the dealer that you know about the scam! My 2007 V8 has only 50,000kms (30,000 miles) and it was obvious that the whole diff had not failed!

If you are reading this in Australia - go to G Brothers Volvo in Narabeen- the service manager Ben is the real deal. He even called the technician in to speak to me about the car.
Glad you resolved your Haldex problems without being cheated. Happy to say I have a great independent mechanic in Denver Colorado. Any problems I've had with my Volvos are quickly resolved at prices which are lower than average--and he's never charged me for diagnostic work. This guy is one of the reasons I own Volvos. Finding a good independent mechanic for the type of car you own can be very important to your pocketbook, as well as your piece of mind.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Denver Mechanic...

Glad you resolved your Haldex problems without being cheated. Happy to say I have a great independent mechanic in Denver Colorado. Any problems I've had with my Volvos are quickly resolved at prices which are lower than average--and he's never charged me for diagnostic work. This guy is one of the reasons I own Volvos. Finding a good independent mechanic for the type of car you own can be very important to your pocketbook, as well as your piece of mind.
Hey tostik, where do you take your ride? I am about to get a 2005 S 60R with 103K and know I will have that timing belt and possibly water pump looming over my head. I live in Fort Collins and know that Pedersen is awesome for something crazy, Carl Duke is the man for all sorts of random service and new/used parts..who do you go to in Denver? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Hey tostik, where do you take your ride? I am about to get a 2005 S 60R with 103K and know I will have that timing belt and possibly water pump looming over my head. I live in Fort Collins and know that Pedersen is awesome for something crazy, Carl Duke is the man for all sorts of random service and new/used parts..who do you go to in Denver? Thanks!
Platinum Autos on Santa Fe, a couple of miles south of C470 (South of Denver). They do Volvos, BMWs, MBs, VWs/Audis, and Subarus. It's a thirty minute drive from Evergreen for me, but they are well worth it. I could tell you a dozen stories about how great these guys are. But Ft Collins is probably too far away--2 hrs or so? My daughter just moved to Ft Collins, with her 2002 V70, to go to CSU, and I'm looking for a good Volvo shop there. Sounds like you think highly of Carl Duke and Pedersen. Which one would you recommend for her older Volvo?

·
Registered
699 Posts
FYI, when our Haldex did not work while it was under warranty, they replaced the pump and that wasn't it, the thing was not throwing any codes to the amazement of the engineer, and a friend who is the service manager at an Acura dealer.

Problem wound up being a faulty temperature sensor, and it thought it was overheating and would not engage. Replace sensor, and it was back in service!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
FYI, when our Haldex did not work while it was under warranty, they replaced the pump and that wasn't it, the thing was not throwing any codes to the amazement of the engineer, and a friend who is the service manager at an Acura dealer.

Problem wound up being a faulty temperature sensor, and it thought it was overheating and would not engage. Replace sensor, and it was back in service!
That's why I "test" mine often in the winter. There are several failures that won't throw any codes to tell you it's broken. A intentional quick slip of the front wheels will tell you if it's working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts