SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, im looking at buying a 2004 S60 with 170,000 kms on the clock, what problems should i be looking for on inspecting this car?
has there been any major recalls on this vehicle? any info you can give me will be appreciated

·
Registered
350 Posts
ETM Failure and shift flares are common problems

·
Registered
853 Posts
The miles aren't he scary part but the service records are. Is it a turbo model? The main things are the PCV, Etm, PTC, vac lines, A/C, ball joints, tie rods, mounts, and fluid conditions meaning not the levels but the quality of the fluids. And of course the transmission condition. Was the tranny ever flushed? Was the B2 tranny servo replaced? These are only a few items that are in play. Never buy a used Volvo without knowing all this stuff unless you are a savy wrench that can address this stuff. They are great cars but just like helocopters, they will last a very long time if properly maintenanced and not modified.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
He stated an 04, so 90% of the tranny issues have been resolved by Volvo.
If its a turbo car, then it is a sludge engine. A history of more frequent oil changes are better than timely changes, and if there is no history of changes, well, prepare (and budget) for the worst.
Its more than 10 years old and we all have no idea where you are, so best advice is that all sorts of rubber parts between the wheels and engine and the chassis are probably breaking down as I type....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im located in alberta canada, so i will expect bushes and rubber to be failing, due to the cold and snow we get here. it is a turbo version and awd, as to the servicing it had, thats another question..... i am still awaiting the owner to get back to me on more details but i am starting to think it might need to be pre inspected as he is very slow in correspondence and thats got me worrying

1 - 5 of 5 Posts