SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched, but I'm not getting straight answers.

One of the passenger locks in the back only locks occasionally. It always unlocks, but 95% of the time I need to manually lock it. After forcing it to lock, it'll lock/unlock just fine for a few minutes. This is both with the key fob and the buttons on the doors.

One of the back windows will not open or close. Whether I use the switch on the driver's controls or in the back seat, the window won't go down. When going up (when the windows are already closed) you can hear the motor pull up and then relax; this is the same case with all of the windows, so that part is normal. But when attempting to roll down, it does a similar thing. It tries to roll down a millimeter and then relaxes back to normal.

My guess for both situations is that something is prohibiting the lock and window from working properly, because the gears, motors, etc. sound like they're fine.

I had the rear door cards off a while back, so it is possible I damaged something. I'm just looking for advice on what to be looking for when I take everything apart to try and fix the problems.

Also, I took the door cards off about 1.5 months ago. The lock problem started last week and the window problem started yesterday. I know for a fact that window and lock were working perfectly fine two weeks ago; I was checking everything.

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To make sure it's not my lock pin/bezel, I'll remove those tomorrow and see if that fixes the lock problem. When I got the car, it was missing the rear bezels which I replaced last spring. It could just be the heat that is preventing the lock from always locking.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Not sure if you know this, but the windows are designed to not continue to move if an obstruction is encountered. For example, if you roll up your window on your hand, it will stop automatically, even if you're holding the switch up. So, if the window's binding because of something in the wrong place inside the door, it won't force it's way past the obstruction. It will stop to protect the motor from seizing and, presumably, little kids hands and dog snouts from getting shut in the window.

It may be that the same thing in the way of the window is blocking the lock rod in the door.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Sounds like the wiring/wire harness in the door is damaged or needs to be changed. A common fault on S40ies and V50ies. There also was a recall here about them...

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Interesting... To me, a damaged harness would cause an intermittent fault (loose connection) or the item would never work (broken wire/ disconnected connector). That fits the way the lock is working, but the window works all the time.
Sounds to me like something is physically blocking the window and locking rods inside the door, especially since he said he was just in that door working not long ago.
But, I'm not familiar with the symptoms of the recall you mention.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Interesting... To me, a damaged harness would cause an intermittent fault (loose connection) or the item would never work (broken wire/ disconnected connector). That fits the way the lock is working, but the window works all the time.
Sounds to me like something is physically blocking the window and locking rods inside the door, especially since he said he was just in that door working not long ago.
That is the thing. It works and then doesn't work. It also seems to be the same on the C30ies. Things will work. Then not and then again... So an intermittent fault...

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure if you know this, but the windows are designed to not continue to move if an obstruction is encountered. For example, if you roll up your window on your hand, it will stop automatically, even if you're holding the switch up. So, if the window's binding because of something in the wrong place inside the door, it won't force it's way past the obstruction. It will stop to protect the motor from seizing and, presumably, little kids hands and dog snouts from getting shut in the window.

It may be that the same thing in the way of the window is blocking the lock rod in the door.

Good luck!
I'm thinking it's just something in the door too, but we'll see!

And I do know about that cool little feature of the windows. Unlike many, I actually read through my owners manual and tested out all of the features of my car :)

I'm pretty certain the lock is just a mechanical thing, probably something in the way.

We'll see about the window. The fact that the motor is still attempting to move leads me to believe something is just in the way. I have yet to experience any true intermittent failures *knocks on wood* The only time the windows sometimes refuse to go down is when I use the key fob to lower them, which is common.

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Started back to school, so time has been limited.

The problem with the lock was just the bezel. I popped it out, sanded out the center of it, and put it back into place. Problem fixed!

I have not yet messed around with the window.

·
Super Moderator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the lock started getting stuck with locking again. I took the door card off and nothing is in the way, took the bezel out and all seems to be working fine again. It appears to have just been an error with my re-assembling of the door.

But the problem with the window... I took everything apart, all the way to the scissor gear mechanism. The window raises just fine but it will not go down. There is nothing in the way, and the motor doesn't even attempt to lower.

Is it possible for the motor to have burned out in only one direction?

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Possible, have you checked the voltage to the motor? Polarity should switch when activating the window switch.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts