SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 2012 S60 D5. Last winter I noticed the car has serious problems with its wipers during snowy periods.

More specifically, when snowing, ice forms under the wipers and it gets stuck. When you try to use the wipers to remove it, it simply won't go and you can't see a thing though the windshield (it also scratches it). I had noticed this issue in almost all types of snowfall (from light-medium to medium to heavy)

This is rather strange for a Swedish car; they are supposed to be used with snow.
Using the heating at max. speed to defrost the window will not help; the wipers are placed at a lower level. I also tried to buy heated wipers or to replace the windshield with a heated one; unfortunately, neither of the 2 is available.

Did any of you experience such issues?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I don't think what you're describing is a problem unique to the Volvo S60, or any car really - sounds about right for driving in snow. Every vehicle I've ever owned has had this problem. The Climate package on the S60 adds heated washer nozzles (at least in North America) which should help. You may also want to try a heat-conducting wiper blade, such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Heatflexx-Heated-Wipers/dp/B001R94018

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer and the tip on wipers.

My previous car was a 2007 Lexus IS 250. I also drove it during heavy snow, but I did not have such problems. The same is valid for a 2008 Skoda Octavia RS (drove by me, no similar problems during snowy weather). The heated washer nozzles do not help; on the contrary (the liquid turns cold when in contact with the windshield and helps forming ice under the wiper).

Unfortunately, this means I cannot drive my Volvo on longer distances (I had trouble driving it for 30 minutes; I can't post pictures to show you how bad it was).

In what concerns heated wipers, I tried to order from Everblades but, at that time, they did not produce for the new generation of S60. I'll check some more...

·
Registered
459 Posts
I haven't seen this problem with my S60, and it's been through a full winter with lots of snow and ice. Once the car is warm and the windshield is above freezing, it shouldn't be an issue. I have had to use the windshield washers frequently in these conditions, but they do work well in clearing the glass.

I have never had the wipers fouled to a degree that I couldn't drive safely, but I do clear the windshield and wiper blades before driving.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a 2012 S60 D5. Last winter I noticed the car has serious problems with its wipers during snowy periods.

More specifically, when snowing, ice forms under the wipers and it gets stuck. When you try to use the wipers to remove it, it simply won't go and you can't see a thing though the windshield (it also scratches it). I had noticed this issue in almost all types of snowfall (from light-medium to medium to heavy)

This is rather strange for a Swedish car; they are supposed to be used with snow.
Using the heating at max. speed to defrost the window will not help; the wipers are placed at a lower level. I also tried to buy heated wipers or to replace the windshield with a heated one; unfortunately, neither of the 2 is available.

Did any of you experience such issues?

Thank you.
Wow.............with the 100 plus degree days plus high humidity that we are having here it sounds strange to be discussing ice problems on wiper blades!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't seen this problem with my S60, and it's been through a full winter with lots of snow and ice. Once the car is warm and the windshield is above freezing, it shouldn't be an issue. I have had to use the windshield washers frequently in these conditions, but they do work well in clearing the glass.

I have never had the wipers fouled to a degree that I couldn't drive safely, but I do clear the windshield and wiper blades before driving.
Hi Stan,

I live in a building with an underground parking garage, so the car, windshield and wipers are completely clean. The temperature inside the garage is above 0 Celsius (32 Fahreheit), usually between 45 and 52. Also, before leaving the office, I clean it and turn the heating on, and leave it with the engine on for approx. 15-20 minutes, so again, no issues with the temperature inside.

I can't imagine how they drive the car during Swedish winters...

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm not sure why you're having this problem. Here, our winter temps can get down to the minus 30F range and we can get many inches, or even feet, of snow in short periods of time. Our roads are salt and sand covered most of the winter, and sleet and freezing rain are not uncommon. I've noticed no difference between the wiper blade performance on my S60 and any other car I've driven.

The simplest solution might be a change of wiper blades to any of the winter rated ones. I think wiper blades are covered under warranty, so a conversation about this with your dealer might also result in a free swap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure why you're having this problem. Here, our winter temps can get down to the minus 30F range and we can get many inches, or even feet, of snow in short periods of time. Our roads are salt and sand covered most of the winter, and sleet and freezing rain are not uncommon. I've noticed no difference between the wiper blade performance on my S60 and any other car I've driven.
Same here on winter conditions, so I don't understand why the different behaviour of the wiper blades. I'll try to replace them in Nov. - Dec., maybe the new ones will be more effective.

I miss the heated windshield option...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use RainX on all the windows year-round, and it really reduces the buildup of snow and ice on the glass, as well as making it easier for the wipers to push the snow and ice off the glass. BTW, don't apply RainX over the rain sensor - or it won't work correctly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just got my S60 T6 R-Design, with all bells and whistles, including the Climate Package. I had traded in a 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT for it. The Subaru had actual heating strips, like in the rear window defroster strips, at the base of the windshield on the outside, that could be turned on to eliminate ANY icing or snow buildup on the wipers. I just drove the Volvo through a heavy snowstorm in Denver tonight, and, noticed that the snow built up on the outside of the wiper travel, including so much on the right side bottom that the wiper couldn't go all the way down into retracted position. I'm searching Google tonight as I could not believe that a car build in Sweden did NOT have heated wiper or wiper area, like a car built in Japan. Even with the defroster turned on and inside temp raised to 80 F...the snow buildup was too much.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Haven't had too much experience with snow with this car. Last two winters around here have been very mild. I did notice while I was at a Lexus dealer with a friend checking out the GS both it and the ES have heated strips along the bottom and driver's side of the windshield. I think I would rather have that than heated washer nozzles.

Anyone remember seeing those rear window defogger kits sold in automotive stores back in the 80's? Maybe someone makes a kit like that for the front windshield? Might be worth a google search..

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks for your answer and the tip on wipers.

My previous car was a 2007 Lexus IS 250. I also drove it during heavy snow, but I did not have such problems. The same is valid for a 2008 Skoda Octavia RS (drove by me, no similar problems during snowy weather). The heated washer nozzles do not help; on the contrary (the liquid turns cold when in contact with the windshield and helps forming ice under the wiper).
I had an IS250 AWD before my S60, and I had to make sure the windshield was absolutely clean, and there was no ice stuck to the blades. However, the Lexus did a better job of tucking away the wipers in the "rest" position below the line of teh hood. Nevertheless, I had no issues with my S60 this winter. A few ideas:

Are the European spec cars equipped with weaker wiper motors?

Are you heating up the windshield properly? if needed use the front defrost button to keep the windshield warm and make sure the snow melts on contact.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually, when it`s really cold, it`s better to keep the windshield as cool as possible. The idea behind this is that the outside of the glass stay below melting temp. for the snow, so the snow simply blows off when driving. It`s also much easier to wipe off snow with the wipers when it is still in "snow-state" and not "melted snow-state". As mentioned this tip work best when it is quite cold, and not when the snow in itself is heavy and wet when falling.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm thinking this has more to do with the actual weather conditions than anything else. If the temperature is hovering around freezing and things are sleety or you get those big wet flakes, the snow gets kind of sticky and can build up on the wipers. Pick up a little speed and the wind chill will help to freeze that in place, and once it gets started the only thing to do is pull over and clean it off. The colder it gets the easier it is to keep the windshield clean. Past a certain point it just blows off.

Buffalo/Syracuse native here, lots of experience.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah, but, I've been in Colorado 20 years, the last 7 with a Subaru Legacy, that had the front windshield wiper heaters...made a BIG difference, compared to cars I had for the previous 13 years, so...not JUST the weather. Also, kinda pisses me off that I have a car $20K more expensive than my Subaru, that's made in Sweden...and missing this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts