SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my window tints a while back and they came out great , I love them but after 1 month I got pulled over and they said if I get caught again it was $300 , but no other cop has told me anything and I see cops every day with no problem , should I keep them or take them off ? And it's 20% all around

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in PA but in the city I live in 70% of the people have tint and I was like the only person stopped for that

·
Registered
785 Posts
They are cracking down on it here in OR. People are even getting tickets for driving with fog lamps on when it isn't necessary

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think ima just change the front ones out for 50% , but I don't understand why I'm I the only one getting stopped if almost every one here has them and yea I got a ticket for a rear fog on my old car

·
Registered
277 Posts
30% is the law in PA.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Might reflect your driving style, I have 20% all around in NJ where no tint is legal on the fronts and pass cops daily, never had an issue? Honestly thought, it's up to you, either keep them illegal and pay the tickets if your caught or follow the law and remove them........

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drive normal I don't speed in the city , ima just change it a little lighter and ima try to get a picture up since I can't do it from my iPhone right now

·
Registered
785 Posts
There may be a local ordinance. Stop by the police dept and ask what the local ordinance is. Ask to see it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Theyre cracking down on it in NC as well or so they say. I got pulled the first time after having 20% for 1.5 years with no problem even go pulled before that with no problem, it just depends on the cop. The cop that pulled me over did so just for tint, and said that an officer he knew was shot at because he was unable to see the driver looking for a gun due to the rear window tint. I told the cop I was sorry to hear that, but I said that it was wrong to be stopping me because this same model car in wagon form can have as dark as tint as they like on the rear window as well as rear side windows and so for me to be getting pulled over is unfair. He gave me a ticket and told me to have a nice day.

I got the ticket dismissed, I really havent heard of many people actually having to pay a tint ticket, in NC at least, so I went and got 20% again. Biggest pain was removing the old tint.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I did my window tints a while back and they came out great , I love them but after 1 month I got pulled over and they said if I get caught again it was $300 , but no other cop has told me anything and I see cops every day with no problem , should I keep them or take them off ? And it's 20% all around
That doesn't matter. You were the one who got caught. Same with speeding.

Find out what the law is and follow it accordingly. If your tint is too dark, then that may be the issue. Just put the darkest tint the state allows and be done with it. It's not like they are holding you up on purpose.

What should have happened is you get an inspection ticket where they will use a machine to determine the tint's darkness. If it's too dark, you have to replace it or remove it entirely. If you get caught again (especially in PA) you can get a fine and lose your vehicle inspection.

·
Registered
723 Posts
The law on the books in PA is 70% light transmittance has to pass through the window. This allows for tint that blocks 30%. The current case law (which matters more) is that if the tint on the vehicle obscures or hides the occupants it is illegal, irregardless of light transmitter numbers. The bad news is that most vehicles come from the factory (yes even the clear front doors, windshield, etc) with 30%. The exception being vans, wagons, SUVs with the rear windows tinted darker from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
723 Posts
If anyone is interested it is PA vehicle code section 4524(e)(1). And in title 67, the PA inspection code there is a table reference the 70/30%. A citation could also be written under PA VC 4107(b)(2), Unlawful activities.,. Ther would be no loss of your inspection stickers though, just fines

Edited for content

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If anyone is interested it is PA vehicle code section 4524(e)(1). And in title 67, the PA inspection code there is a table reference the 70/30%. A citation could also be written under PA VC 4107(b)(2), Unlawful activities.,. Ther would be no loss of your inspection stickers though, just fines

Edited for content

I used to work for an inspection station. Yes. It can. After the fine they reserve the right to remove your inspection stickers until your vehicle can pass a state vehicle inspection.

Edit: This is from my personal observation and having it happen to my truck before I moved to MD.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Can and will are two different things... Even the biggest traffic hammers won't take stickers unless there Is a problem with the sticker itself (issued to another vehicle, fake, etc).

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Can and will are two different things... Even the biggest traffic hammers won't take stickers unless there Is a problem with the sticker itself (issued to another vehicle, fake, etc).

They did take it from my truck because I left the dark tint on trying to call their bluff. Which is why i promptly ended up moving to MD temporarily.

·
Registered
723 Posts
TTS, sorry to hear that, it is legal for the officer to do so, but most don't, how long ago was it?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts