SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 XC normally idles around 750 rpm, whether in gear or in Park. But whenever I am driving and come to a stop the engine speed will often dip to around 600 and the engine sputters for a moment before the idle returns to 750. It never stalls, but it's a bit annoying for a car in this price range. It's especially noticeable during any kind of sudden stop and doesn't happen at all during very, long slow stops.

Anyone else have this happen? I know many of you are T5 owners and perhaps this occurrence is specific to the XC, but let me know if you've experienced this. I spoke to the dealer about it and he told me there was a TSB about this, but he also said there was no fix and that's just the way it is. Not very comforting. He also said that it's due to the car shifting into Neutral when it comes to a stop. I'm not sure I'm buying his explanation or that there is no fix. Nevertheless, they are going to check it on Friday when I stop in for my new remotes.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this problem.

Frank

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I am not sure about the idle fluctution, but what your dealer told you is true. When you come to a stop the transmission and engine does go into "Neutral Control". This saves on fuel economy as well as wear and tear on the engine and transmission.

-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 02-14-2001).]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Frank -

I know of other XC owners with the same complaint. Some of the cars do it and some don't. A local friend with your SAME problem exactly just got back from a test drive of a 11/2000 build-date XC, and the idle works perfectly, so go figgure.

- Darell

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I don't know my build date, but if cars with later build dates do not have the problem, then obviously there must have been a correction. (How do I determine my build date?)

Normally, when a transmission shifts into neutral and the load is taken off, the engine speed will increase slightly. But, when I come to a stop and the engine and transmission shift into "neutral control" the engine speed decreases and sputters. I recognize that almost all engine functions are electronically controlled nowadays, so the computer may be telling the engine to do something different. But, if that's the case, then there must be a way to reprogram the computer to fix the problem.

Sorry to vent, but I'm not happy with the "that's just the way it is" approach taken by my dealer on the phone. Anyway, I'll see what they say tomorrow when I take it in.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Frank,

Sorry to hear about the idle problem. Did you test drive other XC's(before your purchase) and did you notice similar problems? I would go back to the person who sold you your car and inform him you are not satisfied with the service advisor's conclusion. See if you can take another XC out for a spin, so as to have a comparison. I truly believe that as new Volvo owners, we need a basis to determine what is normal and what isn't. I guess it's easy for the service rep to tell you it's normal just to see if that will send you on your merry way.
But I would definitely be persistent until you have peace of mind.

Your build date is printed on a sticker on the driver's side 'b' pillar. Open your rear door and you should be able to see it(that's where it is on the T5's).

-Rob

·
Registered
528 Posts
Frank -

I'm glad to hear that you are not impressed with "that's just the way it is." Stick to your guns, because, just as you say, all this stuff is computer controlled, and should never do that poor idle deal. There is no excuse for that. If any of them idle correctly, they all should be capable of it.

Rob is right about the location of the sticker, but I still had trouble finding mine with everybody's description the first time around. If your skull is as thick as mine, try this: Open rear, driver's side door, and look at the FRONT of that door jamp (hinge side). Should be a sticker with a month/year on it.

- Darell

·
Registered
528 Posts
Frank -

My local XC friend says that the dealer has told him that his idle problem is fixed. He still doesn't have the car back yet, but when he gets it I'll be sure to let you know what they did to fix it. If, in fact, they really fixed it.

Remember this is the same dealer that says there's nothing wrong with my memory seats, even after I've demonstrated the problem to eight people on four different occassions.

- Darell

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Darell. Yes, I would very much appreciate knowing if your friend's XC was fixed and how it was done.

I actually got a call from my dealer today, as they wanted to find out if the remotes were working properly and if the idle problem was any better. The new remotes are fine; the idle problem remains. They are continuing to investigate if a fix exists, but at least they recognize that there is a problem.

Sorry to hear your remote memory seat problem has not been cured.

Frank

·
Registered
528 Posts
Frank -

I'll do my best to keep you posted on the idle deal. If you don't hear from me by next weekend, be sure to drop me a line. My buddy is supposed to get his car back by the end of the week.

- Darell

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Darell,

Sorry to revive this thread, but did your friend get his XC back from the dealer and were they able to fix the idle problem we discussed. Any info would be greatly appreciated, as my problem remains and I'd like to be able to tell my dealer how to fix it. (Pretty funny, huh? Like it's perfectly normal for the customer to research the problem and then tell the service dept. what they need to do to fix it! Oh, well...I just want it fixed.)

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
528 Posts
Frank -

The customer having to research the problem is more sad than funny, but I certainly agree it isn't right

I did the same thing when I bought my car: I knew WAY more about the car I was buying than anybody on the show room floor (that wasn't really hard, mind you). It was almost embarrassing when they began offering me color choices that the T5 never shipped in.

But, as usual, I digress...

My acquantance's XC was NOT returned to him last week as promised. He went to see it on Friday, and found that while the idle was much smoother, it still did the down-to-600 RPM dip consistently. Next due date is late THIS week.

No apologies necessary...keep me on my toes. I want to find out how this thing turns out too. Wake me up again if next weekend comes around with no word...

- Darell

·
Registered
528 Posts
Frank -

Bad news: The car is being delivered back to the owner without the idle being fixed. It idles smoother now, but still has that ugly dip. Don't shoot the messenger

- Darell

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Darell,

Thanks for the update. At least I know it's not just my service department that can't fix this problem. Have a nice weekend.

Frank

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
FrankG,

Just to let you know, I have driven a 2001 V70 XC and a 2001 S60 T5 that had the same exact problem when you come to a stop. Right before you come to a stop, the engine would idle roughly then smooth out a second later in both cars. This would happened in both Automatic Mode and Geartronic mode. What you described above, is exactly my experience. This might be normal, but I am not sure, because it was a little unsettling.

-Drew

·
Registered
528 Posts
Normal it may very well be. But that's still a far cry from acceptable. My dealer has tried to pass many items off as "they all do that." But heck, if the wheels fell off of every Volvo...I'd agree it's normal, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put up with it.

I know, I don't have much of a point here, but I just wanted to point out that even if LOTS of other cars do it, it should not be happening. And to add more fuel, they don't ALL do it, so there has to be some difference that keeps other cars from experiencing this problem.

- Darell

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by darell:
Normal it may very well be. But that's still a far cry from acceptable. My dealer has tried to pass many items off as "they all do that." But heck, if the wheels fell off of every Volvo...I'd agree it's normal, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put up with it.

- Darell
Darell,

You have a very good point. I don't think that I would put up with it either. When I drove the V70 XC and S60 T5, it sounded like the engine was about to die, althought it never did, not really something that makes you feel good inside. Feelings are subjective of course.

So, philosophically speaking, in your estimation, if there are a lot of Volvo's that exhibit this same exact problem, and some that don't exhibit this problem at all, do you think that this would be something that would be easy to diagnose, or hard to diagnose?

To me, it sounds like this would be something that is easy to diagnose since there are so many other cars that have the same exact, "normal or not" behavior and some that don't. Maybe Volvo is ignoring it, because in their estimation it is normal behavior, and there really is no problem?

-Drew

·
Registered
528 Posts
Excellent use of smileys, Drew.

I absolutely appreciate how tough it can be to diagnose some of these things, but when "they" say it's OK only because some of the other cars do it as well....that just ticks me off. And the easy way out is simply not to consider it a problem. boo.

I too, think it would be easier to track down the problem if you have car A with the problem and car B without it. Having that situation makes the dealer's (or VCNA's) case a little harder to argue too.

- Darell

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
FrankG,

Has your XC problem been resolved yet?

gno3 in the S60 forums was having transmission problems in his 2.4T, with the same engine and transmission combination that you have in your XC. The problems that were described sounded simlar to yours. The problem has now been resolved, check out what was written below, it might apply in your case as well:

quote:

The transmission problem has been resolved. It's an issue that Volvo has sent out a bulletin to address. According to the work order, the car 'needed adaptive procedure 43-20 (had not been done) per volvo bulletin'.
Darell,

Weren't you having some sort of transmission ailments as well? I can't exactly remember.

-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 03-08-2001).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info, Drew.

Unfortunately, they already tried that procedure and it doesn't fix the idle dip problem that I have. I think the 43-20 procedure resets the transmission for shifting problems, which is different than my problem.

But thanks for keeping me in mind. I will, of course, let you guys know if my idle quirk is ever fixed.

Frank

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yup, I definitely have transmission problems, and I have a printout of that very bulletin in front of me. After several thousand miles, the adaptation procedure is moot. I haven't heard of the procedure actually working either, so I'm not holding my breath.

The procedure basically just involves driving the car gently (whith ATF at a certain temp) until the trans magically becomes "good."

Thanks for thinking of me too, though.
- Darell

1 - 20 of 22 Posts