SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a Volvo V70R -06 140.000km. I have trouble with the 3rd gear. It´s like there is 2 steps. And the stick stops at the first just before the gear should go in. This does not happen all the time but often enough to be annoying. This does not happen when the car doesnt move, only when Im driving. Hope you ppl can help me find my problem even though my english sucks :)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You describe a synchronizer problem. First and easiest try at resolving the problem is trans oil change.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Then it's not good news.
3rd is a double synchro. but I don't think Volvo offers any service parts for M66. Not in US anyway.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Rev match is when you rev up the engine with the clutch engaged so that it's not a shock when you disengage the clutch.
On a side note, I have a very similar problem and I believe it to be the synchros, probably need a new gearbox. Mine grinds a bit when you try to get into 3rd.

Try this:
When in 2nd gear, engage the clutch like you were going to upshift to 3rd gear, wait for the RPMs to drop to 1k and then shift into 3rd, it should go in smoothly.

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
793 Posts
I have the same problem going from 2nd to 3rd. If I let out the clutch too quickly at the first 'step', the gear just grinds. I have gotten used to it enough to catch the clutch before I release when I realize 3rd is not completely engaged.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a hard time getting into reverse in the morning. I don't have the two step thing, but it definitely doesn't want to let me in without force at first.

Gear oil change was my first thought for resolution and is on the docket.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I have a hard time getting into reverse in the morning. I don't have the two step thing, but it definitely doesn't want to let me in without force at first.

Gear oil change was my first thought for resolution and is on the docket.
some '04/'05's suffered a problem shifting into gear when it's cold out. (if it is indeed getting chillier where you live) solution was to have the cables replaced or lubed up. dealer has to drop transmission to re-lube iirc. there is a tech bulletin about it. try shifting into 3rd first before going into reverse.

·
Registered
588 Posts
some '04/'05's suffered a problem shifting into gear when it's cold out. (if it is indeed getting chillier where you live) solution was to have the cables replaced or lubed up. dealer has to drop transmission to re-lube iirc. there is a tech bulletin about it. try shifting into 3rd first before going into reverse.
Hmm...will do that. I had a MKIII Jetta that had a similar issue getting into 1st, I'd go into 2nd then 1st and it would work fine.

Definitely getting chillier out, we went from 80s to like 50s seemingly overnight.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Then it's not good news.
3rd is a double synchro. but I don't think Volvo offers any service parts for M66. Not in US anyway.
Maybe there's a way to buy from Europe!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Is there also an issue with 4th gear? It is the other side of the 3/4 synchro unit, and if it is also difficult I might suspect a fork or detent issue. The 4th gear is a single synchro as opposed to double.
I would not discount completely the cable adjustment. It is an easy step versus transmission removal. If the somewhat tedious process for adjustment is followed, it MIGHT help.

The cold shift into reverse issue mentioned in the thread, really had to do with proper lube on the transmission input shaft, and did require transmission R&R to remedy.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
The cold shift into reverse issue mentioned in the thread, really had to do with proper lube on the transmission input shaft, and did require transmission R&R to remedy.
A lot of folks that have this issue (only when it's REALLY cold) just shift into 2nd before shifting into Reverse. Goes in fine that way.
Or, just park the car in Reverse. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts