SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided it would be a good idea to change my battery since it was getting old. After I replaced it the dash lights, and radio work fine. When I turn the key all I hear is a small click as the "check Engine" light blinks :mad:. After trying it a few times I get an error that read brake failure and air bag failure

My first thought was the starter since that is usually the sound of a bad starter

I have heard these cars have some crazy theft immobilizer, not sure how it works or if that is the case.

Any help would be much appreciated :D

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
So I decided it would be a good idea to change my battery since it was getting old. After I replaced it the dash lights, and radio work fine. When I turn the key all I hear is a small click as the "check Engine" light blinks :mad:. After trying it a few times I get an error that read brake failure and air bag failure

My first thought was the starter since that is usually the sound of a bad starter

I have heard these cars have some crazy theft immobilizer, not sure how it works or if that is the case.

Any help would be much appreciated :D
Welcome to Swedespeed, Andrew.

If possible, re-install the old battery. If all problems disappear let us know.

Thanks.

George Dill

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Odd, have replaced dozens of batteries without issues.

I would try doing a battery reset by holding the cables together for 20 minutes and then reconnect the battery. Since they only go in one way I am assuming cables were connected properly.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Did you clamp it down enough? Our batteries require a nice tight grip or they can get cranky. And what are your cable ends looking like these days? Maybe scrub/brush them down and reconnect tightly with some dielectric grease on the posts.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My dealer said that i need a new battery because the test failed during my regular maintenance. i said ill do it at a later time. i checked and open the battery, noticed that there is no more water as i can see the metal plates.

I bought the distilled ionized water and fill her up. drive for a week and re-fill again. after 2-3 months, my battery is good as new. :) according to the test on my indie. dealer charge 250. 300 installed... agree, our batteries are that good. ill have a true test during the winter with -20 C in toronto, but i am no worried at all.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the reply and thank you for the welcoming! I have much to learn about these Sweede cars...
I tried your suggestions and the battery needs a VERY VERY tight fit, I had never had this type of problem with past cars. BTW I replaced it with an OPTIMA REDTOP, these batteries are much cheaper and have the same specs as our oem batteries.

Thanks again for the help :D

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
So it just needed a good tightening? Good to hear!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Odd, have replaced dozens of batteries without issues.

I would try doing a battery reset by holding the cables together for 20 minutes and then reconnect the battery. Since they only go in one way I am assuming cables were connected properly.
had same issue, removed cables off battery terminals and held together about 5 min. reinstalled cables, resecured(very tightly) and started no problem. thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts