SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried to pump gas for the first time in my Inscription which had an empty tank. The pump got to about 20 liters before stopping as though the tank was full. This happened several times, and I gave up at around 30 liters pumped because I was in a rush. I tried pulling the nozzle out a bit, and it didn't help. I did a quick search, but couldnt find anything similar. Is this a known issue?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I just tried to pump gas for the first time in my Inscription which had an empty tank. The pump got to about 20 liters before stopping as though the tank was full. This happened several times, and I gave up at around 30 liters pumped because I was in a rush. I tried pulling the nozzle out a bit, and it didn't help. I did a quick search, but couldnt find anything similar. Is this a known issue?
Not a known issue. But doesn't it sound like an issue with the pump? I've seen plenty of pumps that want to pump much faster than the car wants, not just the xc90.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
More likely, a faulty pump. It has happened to me several times in the past few months (on non-XC90 models); I moved to a different pump or gas station and had no problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gas station is less than 5 years old, and I've never had a problem pumping gas there with two other cars. I'll see what happens on the next fill-up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I experience this as well. I actually do the opposite of what you do. When the pump stops, I try to push the nozzle in the hole deeper, but get the same results, the pump stops before the tank is full. I end up just doing the same thing over and over again until I think the tank is full.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
The gas station is less than 5 years old, and I've never had a problem pumping gas there with two other cars. I'll see what happens on the next fill-up.
The pump might be set to deliver the gas at too fast of a flow rate. This could be the problem.

Did you pull the trigger all the way?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll reserve judgement on whether this was a faulty pump or a problem with my XC90 until I try a few different pumps at a few different gas stations.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I experience this as well. I actually do the opposite of what you do. When the pump stops, I try to push the nozzle in the hole deeper, but get the same results, the pump stops before the tank is full. I end up just doing the same thing over and over again until I think the tank is full.
Same here. Happened to me once, considering I have only filled the car 3 times since I got it. I had to try and try until I believed it was full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
To follow up and clarify my post, this has happened to me but just once I believe out of dozens of fill ups. And it's happened on other cars to me as well. Almost certain it's the pumps.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Also, watch out.. I posted awhile back about nozzles with broken tips that can get the gas pump stuck in your capless system...It's happened to a few fords with the capless system and an 2016 XC90 owner as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I own my XC90 since July and I've tanked a few times by now :D not a single occurrence of this problem using multiple pumps in switzerland and italy. knocking on wood...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hello Someguy

I recently took delivery of a new XC90 and part of the delivery inspection from the dealer I got a nice extra nossle (attached picture). He said I may have issues with pumping fuel sometimes and this would help. Different nozzles used at different stations.
I am currently based it Chile.
Not expensive to buy at your local service station and maybe worth a try to see if it makes a difference.

Regards

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
One type of gas pump used in the USA (and perhaps elsewhere) utilizes what's called a "vapor recovery nozzle", and it's easily identified by the large black springy rubber boot around the metal filler nozzle that inserts into the car's filler neck. The idea is that vapor released during the fill-up gets sucked back into the pump instead of being released into the atmosphere. That's the idea, anyway. In practice, it creates a tight seal around the nozzle which dorks with the pressure in the tank, and instead of allowing the pressure to release, it builds up causing the gas pump to falsely "think" that the tank's is full, so it automatically stops - even though the tank's not full. The problem gets worse as the tank gets more full. It is pump-dependent; that is, certain vapor recovery nozzles work just fine, but others at the same station chronically stop early. For my Infiniti JX35, this problem is quite aggravating. Washington State uses the stupid devices all over the place, and the vast majority of them don't work correctly. My wife reports that her XC60 also has problems with the very same pumps that my JX35 has problems with, so I'm definitely left to blame the gas pump and not the car. I have never had a problem using a pump that didn't have a vapor recovery boot on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm in Canada and we don't have pumps like this where I am. On my second fill-up at a different pump, the same thing happened. I had to pump very slowly to get it to fill up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts