SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I began noticing something when driving my R and wanted to run it by you guys.

When I come to a stop for a red light or stopsign, about 20% of the time when I am doing the final part of the braking and the car's in 1st gear, the rpm's will dip really low [to ~500] for a split second, and the engine rumbles a bit, and then it's fine and dandy. It won't do it for a the next few stops, and I get happy and then it does it again :mad: It's really noticeable as I've got the poly mounts so it rattles the cabin a bit at 500rpm. I definitely do not remember my car doing this but for the past few weeks.

Is this a dirty ETM? Injectors going south? Mucked up MAF? No codes or CEL's to speak of...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My car will do this sometimes as well I believe others have had luck with cleaning out the throttle body

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mine does this only in the first 5-10 minutes after starting the car. Or something close to it.
Exact same behavior... it'll dip down and rumble and then jump back right up.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Mine does this only in the first 5-10 minutes after starting the car. Or something close to it.
Exact same behavior... it'll dip down and rumble and then jump back right up.
Mine does the same. Every time I go to leave my school, you have to stop on a hill to pull out. It dips down really low and almost stalls. But it only does it when its cold or first started up.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually really glad im not the only one having this problem...though im the only gt so far. Dont know if thats got anything to do with it. Im going to do a fmic pretty soon so i'll have access to the throttle body when I do it.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'll chime in to say I have a GT and i experience this too. I've been told to clean the throttle body by my independent shop.

·
Registered
635 Posts
that's not a problem .... I'll tell you what a problem is:

say you're going uphill and trying to stop at a light / sign...

... no brakes !
this story and similar ones terrify me. Now i only go downhill, full throttle, no brakes ever.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll chime in to say I have a GT and i experience this too. I've been told to clean the throttle body by my independent shop.
Semi-good news again! Will definitely get that throttle body shiny when I get the chance :D

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Can't say I've ever had that probably besides the horrible clunk and downshift I get when coming to a stop lol but my transmission is dying so that's probably normal :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
my MT does this after i push the clutch in when coming to a stop and not at every stop only once in a while. i recently did seafoam and this actually seemed to help this issue. it still does it but much less often. i thought this might be a pcv issue and now that i think about it i also recently replaced the upper pcv hose which i found to be cracked so maybe it is the pcv system that is causing this issue. after i replaced this pcv hose i did the rubber glove test on the dipstick and oil filler hole and found both had good suction

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tspot, will definitely be doing a full seafoam treatment at the next oil change, but that's still like 2500+ miles away :/

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't say I've ever had that probably besides the horrible clunk and downshift I get when coming to a stop lol but my transmission is dying so that's probably normal :D
Yeah, I have the clunk every now and then as well, and I STILL haven't found a day where my dad and I can both get to swapping out the trans fluid. Thankfully I really only drive to work and back, which is about 5 miles round trip :D

We should start researching DSG or SMG boxes to put in our cars after the inevitable happens to them [if only ;)]. Can we drop the 6speed GT's into our cars or would that take ridiculous amounts of work?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Yeah, I have the clunk every now and then as well, and I STILL haven't found a day where my dad and I can both get to swapping out the trans fluid. Thankfully I really only drive to work and back, which is about 5 miles round trip :D

We should start researching DSG or SMG boxes to put in our cars after the inevitable happens to them [if only ;)]. Can we drop the 6speed GT's into our cars or would that take ridiculous amounts of work?
I don't know I was thinking of upgrading to the 6speed if (or better yet when) I need to replace this transmission but not sure if it would be a straight swap (minus a new ECU or program). The engine is the same but not sure if mounts/lines would be different and if also the Haldex/Angle gear is different. Also wondering if since our transmission is an AW55-51 would I be able to just swap that out with one from a 2005 S60 AWD? I found a really cheap used one locally.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts