SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad's got a 98 v70 awd with the 2.4t, and when he bought it.. Well, later on, he found that there wasn't a prop shaft. So I went to a few places trying to find one and a friend of a friend ended up giving me 2 of them, and they're both different lengths. He said they were for the v70, but both see too long. The shortest one is 67" long. Can someone give me an die a of what I'm looking for?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Welcome. Be sure to read the second post (a sticky) at the top of the page you posted your question in. It will help you understand the Awd system. This will help you with understanding the system and the different setups that were used. I found it very helpful in my build. The writer, Hussien (Look for Joe) is also very helpful and willingly shares his knowledge. There are many other talented folks on here who do as well.
Dan

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Colorado driveshaft sells them. Finding things for the 98 AWD cars can be a pain sometimes. Transitional model years are the worst.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
1998s have two different shafts
Early build cars and late
The late ones are the same as all 1999s so find out what you have and with your new found info, find one
What was your build date (should be on a sticker on your driver's door)?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
His car doesn't have the sticker that says the build date. This is is all the info I have for it. If it helps at all, the front control arms are the 4 bolt style, not 2. I know that there's 2 sets of arms for this car for some reason.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and I misunderstood my dad. He's Greek and old so it happens a lot. The distance between the 2 points where it connects is about 67 inches. The 2 other ones that I got for him were too long by a couple of inches.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Oh and I misunderstood my dad. He's Greek and old so it happens a lot. The distance between the 2 points where it connects is about 67 inches. The 2 other ones that I got for him were too long by a couple of inches.
396785 is early build. you need one specifically from an early '98. The CV's are different sizes than mid 98 on & '99/'00. '01 & up are completely different, so maybe that's what you got.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I'm thinking so. Well that stinks. I'm going to have to keep looking. I see them going for like a grand but that's way too much money to throw into a car that's got 145k on it and is going on 20 years old. I'd rather sell that one and find him a slightly newer one with an shaft intact. But I just had the turbo seals done, the pcv, did the front end suspension, and a few other things.. So it's kind of a shame. I want to find one before the winter because I'm not always around and he had a heart transplant a few years ago and he's not too good with labor like shoveling snow because of how the new heart doesn't beat fast enough at first and takes a while to slow down, so when he wants to leave I have to go over to his place and shovel out his spot, but with a rear axle he would be able to get out on his own instead of waiting for me or attempting to do it himself... Which he does do even though I yell at him. Anyways thanks for the info at least I know what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
145K is nothing - Do the math, that's like 8,500 miles a year.
That car is just a pup! If it's in good shape otherwise, just fix it.
Have you contacted Dave at Colorado Driveshaft?
Get a quote - They do great work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts