SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey, I think it's pretty clear what I did...

Replaced OEM hex nuts holding the battery cover in place.. It will keep you sane if you need to get access to the battery and you don't have tools in the car... Don't ask me how do I know :facepalm: Two wingnuts (one is pictured for comparing purposes) from local orange store comes to 2 Curtis Jacksons plus tax..

p.s. In a spirit of SS naming conventions I'm humbly (or shamelessly ??) propose it papa_kirlo mod :D

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Good idea.

I've got the subwoofer in my wagon, and from what I can tell, you need tools to remove it. Now, let's say I get a flat tire. To get the spare out, I have to take out the woofer.

I sometimes wonder what they were thinking back there.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
you will still need 10mm deep socket or wrench to swap a battery

or you should be able to get a jump from the post by the fusebox under the hood

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Service life of 5 years is a benchmark unless you've abused it / drained it to death a few times.

You don't need to wait for your battery to fail to know it's time to replace it.

That would be like waiting for your tires to explode before replacing them.

Batteries typically fail when it's cold --- not the best time of year to be stranded on the side of the road.

Summer tires (The factory delivered tire on the R model is: Pirelli P-Zero Rosso) are NOT FOR TEMPS BELOW 4 DEGREES ( OR 40 F)

The best mod for your car is always a good set of tires, properly maintained.
Right on with the battery. No reason to ever "access it" unless you're replacing it. You jump from the post under the hood.

Summer tires however vary quite a bit when things get cold. I've run Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position summer tires for many year now (3 sets I think) and they're fine down to about 10F (haven't tried lower) as long as the roads are still dry. Any snow though and it's like you're driving on greased cafeteria trays.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Good idea on replacing with wingnuts. I've needed access to mine enough that I just leave the bolts on finger-tight. Maybe over the winter I'll install a battery cut off switch instead.

(Mostly to remove the CCM for car stereo projects)

·
Registered
303 Posts
But it has no purpose at all. Why would you even need to get excess to youre battery as warpedcow says? You can charge the battery under the hood, and just the connections under the hood to jump start your own or someone elses car. They sit there so you dont need to get to your battery in the trunk.

·
Registered
588 Posts
But it has no purpose at all. Why would you even need to get excess to youre battery as warpedcow says? You can charge the battery under the hood, and just the connections under the hood to jump start your own or someone elses car. They sit there so you dont need to get to your battery in the trunk.
What if you want to disconnect the battery to work on the airbag, seat, etc?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, if you want to work on the car you probably have tools ;) I was thinking about situations when you need to get an access to the battery when you don't have tools (on the road etc). I didn't know that you could jump car from the post under the hood :)

useless mod I guess :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
I do not know if they changed anything about the subwoofer between 05 and 06, but mine has a large plastic screw that you can turn by hand.

The only thing you need to remove is the front cargo panel because it sits right where the two panels meet then the subwoofer pops right out.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I just carry an adjustable wrench in the trunk... and the nice white cotton gloves that were in my S70T5

1 - 14 of 14 Posts